Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 59 of 233: Posts 1161 - 1180 of 4650
prev
1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 233
next

More snow 2009/1/27 07:24
Yes, it's going to snow some more down here as well during the next couple of days - as if we haven't had enough already. Peter, we don't have any immediate plans on going visiting in NH but will certainly let you know if we do. And you do the same if you come down to the Berkshires in the spring or summer months. We were just sent some current pictures of our lake - solid ice over the entire width and length of the lake.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Brrrr 2009/1/27 11:03
More frozen pipes !! UGH Bit the bullett, had the plumber come in and we pumped antifreeze into the entire system. Should have done this earlier. Steffi, we will meet up sometime I'm sure, Berkshires or here only a matter of when. Our little Yokohama apartment had no heat at all. I recall that we moved in it was October I think. When December came [ or whenever it was ] I recall looking around for the thermostat. Couldn't find one, thought for a moment that the heat was automatic of some kind. Then looked for the vents or baseboard units..none. Comming from New England I couldn't believe that there was no heat in Japan. As it turned out the winters were very mild and a small electric heater and a kero stove got us by just fine. My former wifes home was up country in NH. One morning the house seemed cold, looked at the thermometer outside -50 below zero. No lie, my volkswagon didn't start that morning. I wonder if that big lake in the ozarks freezes over. Hawk-san not used to your "new "name. Like the old one better. Not sure why they did that. Everyone is into "change" don't ya know.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Kero stove 2009/1/28 01:19
Our house in Yokohama had a kerosine stove. Two guys in a three wheel truck would arrive with a 55 gallon drum of kero and hoist it up on a cradle so the fuel could gravity flow when it was turned on inside the house.
There was a "start" position on the valve that allowed a greater volume of oil to enter the stove. My mom would light the oil with newspaper. Once lit, the valve was turned to "run" and with a fan, it would heat most of the living and dining room.
Once in a while, my mom would forget to turn the valve and the extra volume of kero would turn the stove cherry red.
by hawkeye san rate this post as useful

Japanese heating and weather 2009/1/28 02:46
I spent some time in the icy high mountain city of Karuizawa, with no real heat at all except for some hibachi-type thing in the middle of the tatami floor - it was my one experience living in a totally Japanese house. My Mom and I would go into the snowy woods to gather kindling - I don't remember what was did with it. And I remember she made me a snowsuit out of a heavy woolen blanket - and I would sometimes have to wade through waist high snow to get to school. But it was fun and I mostly enjoyed it - we were away from bombings and war, and it was all kind of beautiful.

I hear there's another nasty ice storm in the midwest and parts of the east. Everyone okay there in Missouri?

Yokohama Snowstorm 2009/1/28 05:28
January 26, 1968. It snowed all morning and after lunch the personnel types in Headquarters building had a snowball fight with the medics in the Clinical building next door. Snowballs flew fast and furious, the air was full of them. The medics would open the two outer doors, upper and lower floors, throw the snowballs and jump back inside. The officers stood back and laughed, although I saw Dr. Dixon throw a couple. HQ won, as we had more people.
After work I went to the NCO Club for a couple of happy hour drinks, and then left for my apartment at Hakuraku Mansion. There were taxies waiting at the main gate, but I was dressed warmly, with hat, earmuffs, and gloves, so decided to walk home through the winter wonderland. Many buildings in Yokohama were made of unpainted wood, and although they were well made and well repaired, some of them looked rather shabby. But, the blanket of snow covered the defects and made an overall beautiful architectural picture, and I knew I was going to enjoy the trek home.
I crossed the main intersection, the traffic was light, and I started up the narrow asphalt road that wound between the houses. A thick blanket of snow covered everything, and even though it was dark, street lamps and light from windows cast sparkles of silver and gold across the snow. Stone walls lined both sides of the street, but where there were gates you could catch glimpses of smiling heads behind windows, and they were gazing out at the snow scene, and at me gazing back at them. Sometimes our eyes would meet and we would almost nod to each other.
The road was steep and slippery and I could feel the pull of gravity in my legs, but the coolness, not coldness, built up my strength to make the climb. It started to snow again, and it was like marshmallow flakes falling from a shaker. A dog barked softly nearby, unseen and unmenacingly, but softly as if to ask gisn't it great to be alive tonight?h
At the top of the hill there was a wide flat expanse, and the ten story building that was Hakuraku Mansion loomed over the little houses. It looked like a giant ship in a snowstorm. Ann was in her apartment on the top floor, as she had her shoji screens open and lights on, and I could see her shadow moving around. One or both of my roommates were home, as light illuminated the white shoji screens of our apartment on the eighth floor.
I wanted to just stand there and look at the scene. I could feel it. It was so beautiful and poetic, so much like, "Whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village though; He will not see me stopping here, To watch his woods fill up with snow . . . The only other sound's the sweep, Of easy wind and downy flake. The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep. And, I have to get to the Peanut Club!"
This is a true story.

by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Ice in the Show Me 2009/1/28 06:51
We have light snow and some ice from freezing rain/sleet last night. I had the driveway salt guy drive down our road and spread ice melt so we can get out tomorrow.
My drive is 1700 feet long with a significant uphill grade to get out. Its asphalt paved, thankfully.

Weather and poetry 2009/1/28 10:46
I think we have a poet in our midst! How nice.

Glad to hear you gentlemen are okay - we're hoping for the best here in the east. Only a couple of months more of winter.

couple more months 2009/1/28 11:50
Winter is over in the first part of February here. When we lived in Minnesota, we liked to drive down from the snow belt for a week here in February; it was always early spring by February 12 or so. We could have planted radishes, lettice and peas in a garden here.
Snow if picking up right now. Looks like 6 or more inches.

Oh My 2009/1/28 12:26
I was very touched by Wallys post, especially the Robert Frost quote from was it"
stopping on a winters night?"
I think Wally caught a lot of what I experienced as well althow I don't think I could have put it so beautifully. Going to read that again. Steffi the Japanese "fireplace" under the table it a kotasu. Very common in rural houses. Tonight, I am humbled to know you all. Alright I'm getting mushy. Or is that Moshi Moshi.

and.. 2009/1/28 13:07
How do you recall the exact date? and Eric Who plows YOUR drive way. You must really be in seclusion. Steffi, Janet just told me that she may have a meeting in NYC on Feb 11th. It is at 1 Madison Ave. [La De Dah] When she is in her meeting I am going to be requested to scram. Time uncertain maybe 5 to 9 PM. Meeting with VC guys, no Wally, not VietCong. Any way will update you furthur if this comes off. Under the circumstances I would not want to go very far from where she is meeting. Country boy at night.. big city.. you understand. If so, will be staying over somewhere and flying back sometime the next day. We'll see. Your thoughts. Now you know who is the real business person here, I fix plumbing and she meets with bankers and lawyers. I love it.

Peter and Japanese movie 2009/1/28 23:21
Peter, how nice for you to have such a brainy and hardworking mate! February 11 is a Wednesday and as far as I know we're free. It sounds like you'll be downtown on the east side - no problem - we could easily drive down. Let us know how your plans work out. And kotasu sounds familiar.

Just saw a terrific movie on DVD - "The Hidden Blade" - about mid-18th century samurai events - a lovely story, beautifully filmed with terrific scenery, scenes of life at the time, not overly violent. Written and directed by Yoji Yamada who also did "The Twilight Samurai" which we have not seen.

Feb11 2009/1/29 00:09
Sounds good, I'll let you know how her plans form up. Yes I am tryly fortunate to have Janet. She is a wonderful person and I'm sure you'll enjoy meeting her. She will probobly be exausted after what she will be doing. Thanks for the movie reference, I have made a note of it and when things settle out, I'll see if I can get it. Video stores are closing around here. We don't seem to be able to find the time to watch a lot of movies, been pretty busy. Have thought of netflix but undecided. Read Wallys post three times over. Brought back many impressions. If I might say it, Wally you write beautifully. I still think there is a book here somewhere.

Peter-san 2009/1/29 04:05
Thank you. I made the trek back and forth between Kishine Barracks and Hakuraku Mansion many times, in all kinds of weather. The road was lined with rock walls and tall hedges, and the homes were upper middle class Japanese. A lot of times fog from Tokyo Bay shrouded everything making the trek seem mysterious and other worldly, with the sound of wind chimes and music from radios and record players breaking the silence. Many a time I would stand on the plains below Hakuraku Mansion and watch the activity of the building, of lights going on and off, and people, Japanese and Americans, coming out on their balconies and seeing me they would wave. Sometimes I would locate a party going on and would crash it later when everyone was drunk. But, my favorite trek was that evening in the snowstorm, which may or may not have been on the date I specified, but it all happened like I said, even the muffled bark of a dog. I guess I am a sentimentalist.

Between two worlds 2009/1/29 11:19
I had my 1/2 hr walk to and from my apartment on Medori Gaoka to Bayside Courts where I would pick up the jeep to Center Pier. I often tried to leave early for the walk To Bayside Courts so I could catch that part of the city come to life. I discovered a footpath that was a beautiful shortcut along a ridge that led to Honmoku-dori. There was a little building not unlike a house that seemed out of place and I wondered who lived there. One morning on this little footpath I came up to the little house. Inside there was the sound of a small gong beating to the sound of a buddhist monk chanting. I stopped to listen and from a house on the other side of the footpath there was a radio in english, I listened to that also.. Bobby Kennedy had been shot in California.. June 5th 1968.

Todays Haiku 2009/1/30 23:51
Beneath the snow..
and underground..
the chipmunk raises an eyelid ..
.. not yet..

Haiku (Rev.) 2009/1/31 01:04
If you listen closely you can hear those chipmunks singing,
Okay, Simon, Okay Theodore, Okay Alvin. Alvin! OKAY.
. . . want a plane that loops the loop.
Me I want a hula hoop.
. . . Christmas don't be late . . .

Opera 2009/1/31 10:33
Behold.. our sentimentalist in action. And no I could not spell sentimentalist from the top of my head. Hey Steffi, better get your carriage ride while you can hear they are trying to ban them. More ice chopping today, everyting seems to be covered with a coat of ice. Looking for a warming trend next week. Still no final decision on Janets trip to NYC.

Carriage rides? 2009/1/31 16:43
Haven't heard a thing about the carriage rides being banned. I always did feel sorry for the horses, though. Lately we have some drivers offering rides on strange 3-wheel-bike contraptions with see-through coverings that have a third-world Asian look. Don't know whether I like these or not. Hear they're expensive to ride.

Carriage rides 2009/1/31 22:56
Heard a piece on fox about the carriage rides. It was another PETA idea. Strange, living in Japan I only saw two ricKshaws. Both in Yokohama, none in Kyoto. Eric is familiar with the three wheeled delivery trucks they were gone by the time I was there, except for a farm wagon thing.

Rickshaws, etc. 2009/1/31 23:41
When I was in Japan I heard that rickshaws were banned, because they were demeaning to the rickshaw drivers. I saw a lot of three wheel trucks around Kishine, but as Peter pointed out they were usually farmers hauling vegetables, etc. Yes, PETA is proposing to ban horse-drawn carriages from Central Park because they claim it is cruel to horses. I saw Mr. Ed on TV and he is protesting PETA, because he claims that if horses cannot get jobs no one will want them and there won't be any horses in the future. Mr. Ed said that he is going to testify before Congress to see if horses can get some of that bailout money.

Page 59 of 233: Posts 1161 - 1180 of 4650
prev
1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 233
next

reply to this thread