Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 61 of 233: Posts 1201 - 1220 of 4651
prev
1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 233
next

Eats 2009/2/5 11:43
Your plan sounds good. ie: to meet at the hotel. Have to think on what "flavor". Naturally Japanese would be in order but we have spouses to consider, I will run it by Janet. For Weds we will be preping for the meeting but we have talked about the Museum of Natural History. That maybe a bridge too far. Your suggestions would be welcome. We also talked about going up the Empire State Building I know pretty boring but I need to remember that this trip is about Janets meeting and I need to help her in whatever way she needs me. Honestly, we've been so pooped we may just have a little walk in the neighborhood and crash out a little. Ok Wally eat your heart out, I'm going to the city !
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Restaurants 2009/2/5 12:17
Wally and everyone - how about you all coming into the city and surprising Peter and Janet?

Okay - we did a little more research and found some perfectly nice places within a block or two of your hotel, so no need to taxi anywhere. A safe possibility that will probably please everyone might be Pasticcio's, an Italian place with nice wines, a price fixe and a long history. You can check out their website - PASTICCIONYC.COM - which is at Third Avenue and 31 St - down a block from your hotel.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Steffi 2009/2/6 02:06
That sounds fine we can talk about it, looking forward, expect a call soon. Very rushed today.

Peter and Steffi 2009/2/7 03:58
Thanks, but the Gulfstream is in the shop.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Transport 2009/2/7 06:09
Wally, Those Gulfstreams are always having problems and way too slow, and small, you should upgrade, I did, I'll have my people talk to your people.

Big City 2009/2/10 12:43
Well were off to the Big Apple tomorrow. I hope I don't make too much of a fool of myself, must admit I think I will be a little out of my element. Thought of you guys today, hear you had some wind. Dinner tomorrow with Steffi and Ron, Japanese ? nope.. Italian.

Peter and Janet in the Big Apple 2009/2/12 01:54
Peter and Janet came down yesterday by bus and we had a delightful visit with this lovely, interesting couple. Peter is as warm, funny, open, intelligent and personable as he sounds online, and Janet is a brainy beauty with a great sense of humor who manages to keep up with lots of interests and projects. They both have a love of life that's truly captivating. We spent 5 hours chatting at an Italian restaurant and a couple more driving around nighttime Manhattan. Ron and I had a blast since as New Yorkers we don't really do this touristing thing on our own. Peter says he loved it all, but could never EVER live here!

Peter sends you his regards - we hope everyone's well and we look forward to hearing how everyone is. Warming up here - in the 60's today and sunny.

I'm Baak 2009/2/13 08:18
Had a wonderful trip to the big city. Must admit I was a little out of my element, did I say "ever?" Yea I probably did. Janet and I had a truly great get together with Steffi and Ron, they are sincere, cultured and just a joy to be around. They gave us a treat that we will relive for a long time, a night tour of New York. Times Square.. oh my.. my only regret that I didn't meet them 20 years ago. I even tooka walk around the neighborhood ALL by myself ! Went to a Japanese restaurant last night, there are HUNDREDS of Japanese places in New York.. I had Gyoza !! my favorite. Spoke to the waitor in Japanese.. he was Chinese I think.. oops. Who says you can't meet wonderful people online. I love these people ! New Yorkers are great people, so gentle and kind. How I'm I doing ? Did have a little problem there, could not keep track of NORTH. I didn't realize that I was so compass dependent. Like to hear from you guys.

1966 to 1969 2009/2/14 06:59
I just speent the entire morning going over just about every post. The memories are flowing. I was stationed at Totuska but spent all my off time in Honmoku. One place I didn't see mantione was IGs in the basement of the VFW. I was Navy but in 1969 we were playing Kishina Barracks in fast-pitch softball when I got my thumb borken. They took me over to the hospital and a Dr. from N.C. restored lenght. The reason I mentioned N.C. is because that is where I am orgianlly form. I met my 1st wife at the Zebra Club. My oldest daughter was born in Yokusaka. We did all of our shopping at the Exchange in Honmoku and enjoyed the Seaside Club. The Rickshaw had the best pizza I have ever eaten. From the front gate at Totsuka while looking over the back fence you have a great view of Fugiama.Back on 7/29/7 PJ Mchels posted a message and stated his father had worked at Totsuka and played softball. If you are still out there I know I knew your Dad. Email me please gcurrie1@verizon.net.
by bcurrie1 rate this post as useful

HI 2009/2/14 09:31
Hi Bcurrie 1 Welcome ! You read all the posts ? It must have taken you forever. OK Where is Totsuka and what did you do there? As you must have read I was there in 1967-69 and remember the Zebra club very well. I remember the night that my wife lost a contact lens on the floor.. everyone was so kind.. the place came to a dead stop [except the band] and helped us look for the lens. We found it. Tell us about yourself and what you did in Japan.

Totsuka-ku 2009/2/15 10:10
Totsuka-ku is a very small residential part of Yokohama city.

Peter 2009/2/15 10:15
I remember the night at the Zebra Club when we were all looking for a contact lens. Sorry I stepped on your hand.

Wally san et al 2009/2/15 14:32
That was YOU ? Thats ok, my broken fingers healed about 1972. You still have those plaid pants ? Hope the Gulfstream is out of the shop, oh you should look into the Dessault Falcon 7x about the same speed but more range and room. I could hardly get my personel staff into the old Gulfstream. These days I'm liking the BOLT, which is a bus line that runs from Boston to New York. The kink in my neck is better too, got cramped looking up at all the tall buildings. Thought I would walk into telephone poles doing this. Silly me, they don't have telephone poles in New York. They put the lines underground. Very clever. Der.. I am still processing my trip to the city. Given more experience I might be able to stay there for a longer period of time. There is so much to see and do it is incredable. The Museums alone!! I have a million site pictures in my head from my trip. There was a building on Madison Ave that was all polished granite and marble with ornate bronze doors and beautiful paintings by NC Wyeth. A homeless person was huddled nearby with a grocery cart full of rags and bottles. The person seemed to be sleeping. Several hours later the person was still there. For a moment I wished I was a volunteer for Hands for the Homeless or some group. I wondered how these people live in the cold city in the winter. I guess many don't survive. How ironic that in a city where men wear five thousand dollar suits, a human being has to struggle like that. Not that everyone has to be alike, heavens no. I wonder who is at greater peace, the millionaire or the homeless person. Dealing with extremes would be a challenge that one would have to face living in the big city. I Yokohama I saw very few "beggers", one man by a train station was kneeling on a peice of newspaper with his shoes neatly places beside him. Grace dispite destitution.
Happy Valentines Day to all and especially to my new Valentine, Steffi. [ I think Janet would approve] if not, I get my hand stepped on again..ouch. Love you all or in Wallys case, y'all.

Peter-san 2009/2/16 00:19
Glad you had a great trip to the Big Apple, and Steffi seemed to enjoy your viist. Could the New Yorkers tell you were from out of town? When I went to New York City I was a hayseed. I still get embarrassed when I think about the time I got stranded on the escalator at Macy's.

Escalaters in Macy's 2009/2/16 00:34
Wally - don't feel bad. Everybody gets lost in Macy's. It's like a crowded interconnected set of large city blocks where it's easy to lose your bearings. As for Peter and Janet in NYC - they fit right in. And these days there is no such thing as a typical New Yorker ''look'' - besides, half the people we have walking around at least in daytime are from somewhere else, here to work or play. And many people would probably not know where north is either.

Fit right in 2009/2/16 01:56
Hey Wal, Prior to our visit I paid special attention to a show called the "Cash Cab" which is a game show in a taxi. With this you could see the New Yorkers and how they dressed and also the people on the street. So with this in mind Janet made sure that we didn't seem too out of place and it seemed to work. I left my winter gear at home and we lucked out, one day it was 61 degrees..heaven. Walking around I tried to appear nonchalant, I guess it came off ok, Steffi seems to think so. Perhaps I was over thinking it. Went by Macys.. the place seems to be a whole city block! From the bus to the hotel we were hauling our luggage, were approached by some rappers selling their CD's on a street corner. Seemed like a lot of that stuff going on. Janet can't wait to get back. Can't blame her, very exciting place.
Haven't heard from Eric, guess he doesn't love us anymore.

Totsuka 2009/2/16 15:29
bcurrie1 wrote in his post that he was stationed at Totuska (correctly spelled Totsuka) which as Steffie wrote is a part of Yokohama. It's a Naval communication station, still in operation I believe. When we lived in Negishi Hts. in the early 1980's I knew someone who was stationed there. Check out www.virhistory.com/navy/commsta.htm

Hope everyone had a very enjoyable Valentine's Day. I know everyone is looking forward to Spring. Sorry, no trip to New England for me.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

trip 2009/2/17 02:20
Hi Lori, sorry that you don't think that you can make it to New England. I realize that it is a huge distance for you, but you might see if you can keep your options open. Perhaps Wally can send his private Jet for you, if he's got it fixed. Anyway it is much wishful thinking on my part that you would be able to come, I suppose that you never know, nice to hear from you, hope your winter is going well. Its been pretty mild here lately, over 32 most days and we are getting some good melting, just the right ammount, not too fast.

Hey Wally 2009/2/27 09:22
Just want you to know that I finally ran into the Marine that was treated at Kishine when you were there. I told him the story that you gave me [ with my typical emblishments of course] and he just "bathed" in it I think I gave him some fond memories and he absolutely concurrs that your story has
the ring of honest truth. ie :he dug it. He was there for about 9 months and never got off base. I suspect that he was in pretty bad shape when he got there but today seems to be walking fine. So evidently you guys did a good job. He was disapointed that was the only tale to tell and I told him about this site. Perhaps you have another that I could share with him. We didn't get a chance to have a long talk perhaps we will. Met at a business club. Hope you are well and are checking this site. So you know, I have no other way to contact you except here, so here goes. Leave a msg if you can.. no not Monosodium Glutimate. And who knows, perhaps you can get that plane of yours fixed in time to come over for a little BBQ say around middle july, If your a good boy I might introduce you to Steffi. Were good buds now. Ta Ta for Now.. see even I am getting cultured. An no thats not like yoghurt. By the way.. wheres Eric. Maybe the tornadoes got him. Watch your 6 on that.

Return of the Black Ships by Decker 2009/2/28 16:09
Sorry to barge in. It's been a while since I last visited this thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but I just thought that some of you may be interested.

I read in the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shinbun that a book called "Return of the Black Ships" by Benton Weaver Decker who served as Commander in Yokosuka during 1946-50 covers a lot of the details of the area in that era.

A group of Japanese people in Yokosuka is currently holding reading sessions, hearing stories of witnesses and translating this English book at the same time.
http://sf01.asahi.com/kanagawa/news.php?k_id=15000000902240001

By Googling the title, you will notice that the book is still on sale in the U.S.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 61 of 233: Posts 1201 - 1220 of 4651
prev
1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 233
next

reply to this thread