Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 65 of 233: Posts 1281 - 1300 of 4651
prev
1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 233
next

What was it? 2009/3/29 07:55
I might be the only person who doesn't know this - but what was the Peanut Club? You guys obviously had a great time there - was it a bar, restaurant/bar, lounge, military something-or-other - or would you rather not say? We won't hold it against you - you were young and sowing then, not the sensible mature right-living folks you are now! And tell us where it was.
Hope everyone's well - and hope spring is reaching you as it is here, almost.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Peanut 2009/3/29 13:23
The Peanut Bar was a bar[ dive] on a street in Yokohama called isezaki cho.
The entrance was only one doorway wide and went upsyairs to this very dark bar that had some tables and a balcony. Peanuts featured live rock music in the genre
on the 60's which was Japanese "group sounds" which was a beatles type mod {not rocker] motief [ hey Wally how am I doing ?] The bands were continuious about all day and night. The bands would sing mostly in english that was memorized from records and was very funny. The drinks were watered down and pretty expensive but dispite that I expect that some people got drunk there [ not me of course]
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

YOKOHAMA NEX 2009/3/29 14:51
by dennysan (guest) rate this post as useful

HUN ? 2009/3/30 05:16
Steffi says that were sensible and right living..she must be talking about Wally.. she's not talkibg about me..!

Denny-san 2009/3/30 07:43
Tried getting onto your site but my computer wouldn't let me do it. Did anyone else get on?

Steffi 2009/3/30 10:08
What I liked about the Peanut Club was that both Japanese and American young people went there, because they had some really good rock bands. I always drank beer, because it was cheap, although there was a pale blue mixed drink that was really popular. It seemed to be their specialty drink, and was served in a big martini glass. Did you ever drink one of those Peter-san? Although servicemen from all branches frequented the place, I don't recall ever seeing a fight. It wasn't a fancy place, plain decor with black painted chairs and tables, and dimly lit. I remembered the place to be two stories, but I think Peter said there was a third story. The main floor had a stage and small parquet dance floor, then there was a big round circular opening in the ceiling, and you could look down on the stage and dance floor from the next floor up (balcony). The Peanut Club was still there in 1972, but it was kind of dead.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Wally's drink at Peanut Club 2009/3/30 12:17
Pale blue drink? Sure it wasn't the lighting that made it look blue? Were the bands Japanese or American?

Pale Blue 2009/3/30 13:23
new one on me. Not a whiskey co-co that was served in a juce glass [ a small one]
Also tried the site mentioned, my friendly neighborhood virus wear told me no no.
yea the peanuts club was not verry sheek. when the bands would change they would take there equipment.. speakers amps ect and roll them down the stairs to the street crash bang !! Saw no fights. people too smashed to fight and the Japanese do not fight[ i think ] if they do whatch out.. serious stuff. And only Japanese bands. As US soldiers we were prohibited from entertaining in Japanese TV, Movies clubs, without permission. Not sure that stopped some of us. Personally I would have loved to have acted in a Japanese horror movie. The mad american scientis.

Steffi and Peter 2009/3/31 06:04
No, really, they were pale blue, maybe ice blue, no it was a deeper blue than ice. They tasted like Scope--kinda pepperminty. All the Japanese girls drank them. The bands were mostly Japanese, but I think a couple were Philippino, as there were several in Japan making the American G.I. Club circuit and spilled over into the Japanese club scene. The Philippino bands were really good.

Peanut Culture 2009/3/31 06:27
Hey, it just dawned on me: there were three cultures involved forty years ago at the Peanut Club. Two former enemies, the United States and Japan, two completely different cultures were dancing together to a Philippino rock band, a third culture which was also a former enemy of Japan. I don't think that ever happened before in the history of the world, because the winning nation always made slaves of the losing nation--they didn't party with them. Peanut Culture--Surreal!

Foreign Policy 2009/3/31 08:52
Now that is a foreign policy that I can dance to.
But there was another..
Leaving work one day at centire pier I was walking with the translator in our outfit downtown, A russian cruse liner had docked and there was I walking [in uniform] in a crowd of russian tourists heading for downtown, and no doubt the peanut club. A bit of an awkward moment but they didn't seem to mind.
Last week there was the world base ball league finals
red sox vs yankees?.. nope ..Japan vs Korea held in LA. Playing "OUR" game! Ever been to LA? different world culture.. for sure..oh Japan won. At work the Japanese challenged me to a duel. Their abacus against my electric adding machine.. it was a set up.. I got creamed.. whiskey co-co's for them that night. Cost me 20 bucks !! Damn !

a simple question 2009/3/31 09:07
Q. So how do you keep terrorists out of America ?
A. Take them to Arlington Virginia.

works for me... not!

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

A simple answer 2009/4/3 04:41
What the he** are you talking about?

I think I know 2009/4/4 01:28
Was on the news.But only once,, Hmmm ? Our enlightened new federal goverment has decided to close down the detention facility at Guantinamo Cuba. One of the proposals is to bring the terrorists to a prison in Arlington VA to stand trial or what ever they do to them. That's what the poster ment. The irony is clear, if a terrorist is acuitted than they don't have to go far to be within proximity of the white house. Hey.. they can go over for tea! perhaps its the old "rope a dope" ploy but I wonder who is the dope in this case. Got to wonder however.. if its a "war on terror" then arent the men captured prisoners of war? That would be too easy perhaps, then they could be afforded geneva convention rights. Maybe they should release all of them and give them half of a boatride home. Too deep for me, I'm just a simple country boy watching the snow melt.

To: a simple question 2009/4/4 05:38
Sorry, I thought you were being anti-American, but since Peter explained it to me I realize that you were just being critical of the closing of GitMo, and I agree with you. I'm rather dense, but Peter is sharp as a tack--he just can't spell.

a simple 2009/4/4 06:02
Well Wal-san got me rightly again. Its "aquitted" my error, sometimes these old fingers just hit the wrong buttons.. not in that case. I shooda had one of those New York educations. Id be a betta spella.

Guantanamo 2009/4/4 07:00
I guess they're supposed to get trials, since it is said to be against international law that men be held without clear charges and trials, and the aim is to close Guantanomo, which has gotten a nasty rep. There is a real problem of what to do with these prisoners - not much is reliably known about some of them. Some have been released for trial in their home country. Others are clearly guilty of terrorism, including the monsters who supposedly planned and participated in 9/11. Many others are unwanted anywhere in the world so there's no place to send them for trial. Quite a few have been released for lack of evidence. The problem is that for many reasons our legal system will have trouble convicting all these guys if they are tried after all this time, and the costs meanwhile will be astronomical. Maybe they should have been killed there in the fields of Afghanistan if they were "enemy combatants", not rounded up and kept for years. putting us in this pickle. And they clearly shouldn't be brought to Arlington or anywhere else on the mainland, but tried where they are.

Steffi 2009/4/4 08:45
Amen, sister!

Detroit mess 2009/4/4 11:35
Hi Wally - hope you're fine - and Eric and Lori also and of course Peter. For anyone who wants to read about how Detroit messed up - see US News and World Report's "10 Cars that sank Detroit" - they talk about cars like Ford Pinto, Chevy Cavalier and Astro, Taurus, Hummer, Sebring. It seems bad judgment calls were made all along with bad long term planning. Interesting article. You can read this as one of the features on yahoo's page - I tried pasting the site address but it wouldn't work.

Live free or Die 2009/4/5 01:23
Did we [ and I hope I can refer our nation still as ''we'' ] ever bail out any auto makers before? DeSoto Studebaker, Hudson? And whats with this ''too big to fail'' mentality.. methinks I smell a rat. If they go into bankrupsy then the contracts with the unions can be re done. So.. if we take them over, the unions then keep their money and power and Obama keeps his voting block. So its not all about jobs, its about power and control. Don't worry about this one, its small potatoes, wait until health care, then we will see who lives and who dies. Think I dreaming,? ask Natasha Richardson. In New Hampshire, the word on the street is.. how much food have you stored up.
by Peter [aka Mr Tack] (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 65 of 233: Posts 1281 - 1300 of 4651
prev
1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... 233
next

reply to this thread