Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 67 of 233: Posts 1321 - 1340 of 4650
prev
1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 233
next

Army PX 2009/4/8 07:30
I found this thread a couple years ago and just rediscovered it and decided to check in. I was an Army dependant in 54-55 in Yokohama when it was pretty much all Army. I returned in 65 when I was a Marine stationed at Atsugi. The Yokohama Navy Exchange was then in the building where the Army PX had been in 55, near the ocean and near Honmoko. It was called Area 1 or Area 2 when the Army was there. I'll send a link to YoHi later with old pictures and maps.
Dave H
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Yokohama Zoo Question 2009/4/8 11:04
Hey Kaoru.. I have missed you and hope that you are healthy and happy. Cherry Blossoms yet in Yokohama ? Just about time ne ?
Can you tell me.. At yokohama Zoo Nogiyama, there is a small statue of a dead bird, do you know this ? Can you tell me about it? When I was there I saw it and it was so kawaii-so [sad] I have never forgotten about it and have wondered if there is a story about it.
Do you still do computers? We here are having a large project soon, tell you later. Your tomodachi Peter
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Nogeyama 2009/4/8 14:00
Hi, Peter san

My illness recovered
completely. Thank you.

Cherry blossoms of Yokohama are just full-bloomed.

There is the image of the small bird of Nogeyama Zoo in the vicinity of an exit. It seems to have been made for a memorial of dead animals.

Pictures of Nogeyama zoo 1970s can be seen though this link is Japanese.

http://oystergate.com/nogeyama/frameset.html
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Nogeyama Zoo 2009/4/8 14:15
I found the picture. It was animals' memorial cenotaph. It is very small.

http://mirabeau.quu.cc/zoo/nogeyama/026.html

Welcome Dave H 2009/4/8 22:13
Check in often, Dave. I'd love to see your pixs.
If you were in Atsugi in '65, you must be a little older than I am.
I'm approaching geezerhood. Not retired yet but I can see it just ahead.
Cheers!
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Nogeyama ZOO 2009/4/8 22:28
Kaoru-san Thank you for the link, but I did not find the photo that I was looking for.I will keep trying.
At the Zoo they had a tiger, this animal would wait for prople to come close to the cage and then spray tiger urine over them. Some pepole would wait over by a wall to see this happen to other people and think it was funny. I saw the people waiting for me to get sprayed and figured it out before. Tiger spray, not like cherry blossoms eh? I am so glad that you are healthy, Eric and I were worried about you. What are you doing now? You had many different jobs. You have been away from Japan Guide for a long time and it is nice to talk to you again, Please don't go too far away
for a while if you can.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Jeff's trip 2009/4/8 23:40
Does anyone know anyone in Yokohama that could recommend a hostel as my son is going there next summer? He will be in Japan for 6 weeks and so far it looks like he will spend time in Kyoto, Tokyo, Osaka and Yokohama.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Peter san 2009/4/8 23:49
I am instructor of the computer school. And I help with real estate business of my uncle.

US and Japan are very far. But, we can talk by computer. I am always around you.

Jeff's trip 2009/4/9 00:08

Kaoru-san 2009/4/9 03:35
Thank you - I will pass this information along to my son.

Re: Welcome Dave H 2009/4/9 07:47
Hi Eric,
I was in 7th grade in 54 and went by David Price then. After posting I checked the old posts and fount the reference to the YoHi site with the old pictures and maps posted on the very first page of this thread.
Dave

ITCJ 2009/4/9 09:33
Hello, Steffi san

This link supports foreigner's traveler. I hope your son enjoys the travel of Japan.

http://www.itcj.or.jp/en/index.html

1954 2009/4/9 10:26
Hi Dave;
In '54, i was 6 years old and was getting ready for my second crossing of the Pacific via MSTS transport vessel (back to the states in '55.)

Area 1 was where I went swimming in the big Olympic pool and where I played Little League baseball.
When the Army ran Yokohama, the teams had the American and National League names; Reds, Cardinals, Yankees, etc. After the Navy took over in '59, the teams because the "Carriers" or 'Submariners" etc.
All the Army hero names were taken down and navy hero names were put up.

1954 2009/4/9 12:42
Hi Eric,
I had forgotten the pool at area 1. Spent many days there.
I made 3 MSTS trips accross the Pacific. Mitchell 53 over, Anderson 55 back as Army brat, Sultan 64 to Japan in USMC.
Dave

1954 2009/4/9 13:07
Hi Eric,
This is bringing back good memories. There was also a big public pool on the bluff that I used to go to with my friends because it was closer to where I lived. We weren't supposed to go there according to my parents but we went to a lot of places we had been told to stay away from.
Dave

MSTS 2009/4/9 21:54
6 crossings on five MSTS vessles, 1951-1961.

Gen. Edwin D. Patrick
Gen. George M. Randall
Gen. Mason M. Patrick (aka the Micky Mouse)
Gen. W.O. Darby (twice)
Gen. W. A Mann
Each voyage embarked at and returned to Seattle except for the last return which was to Oakland.
We got off the ship and got a cab to Lane Buick Company and drove away in a new 1961 Buick LeSaber station wagon.
We brought our G. Shephard, Bonnie Lady of Yokohama with us on the 2 weeks at sea. The trip was fairly smooth but the dog was seasick every day and it was my assignment to go back to the fantail and get Bonnie out of her kennel, wash her down and towel dry her fur and run her in big circles to provide some exercise. We stopped for one day in Hawaii and all the dogs howled to get off but it wasn't allowed.
On the trip back home to Iowa, Bonnie slept in the back, very happy to be away from the rolling Pacific.

Kaoru-san 2009/4/9 23:11
Thank you, Kaoru-san, for your help and good wishes. This last site also looks very interesting and I'm sure will be helpful to Jeff. My son is looking forward to his trip to Japan in August. He will try to visit some of the places where I lived - the Bluff, Karuizawa, maybe the Ripongi area in Tokyo. He will be making day trips by train from the cities and is looking for good suggestions.

Someone mentioned the swimming pool in the Bluff - I remember it well - I lived down the street from it, and that's where I first learned to swim, and had my first Coca Cola! That was back in 1945 to 1948.

Eric and Dave 2009/4/9 23:35
The trip from Japan to the States took two weeks? That sounds like a long time to be on a ship. What kind of ships were they? When I was in Japan in 1967-68 some people, mostly officers, went home by ship. I think the name of the ship was the Cleveland, and I don't think it took two weeks.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

The Army's Navy 2009/4/10 00:17
The history of MSTS, Military Sea Transportation Service, can be found with a google search. Briefly, the ships carried troops fore and aft with married EM and officers and their families in very small staterooms on four or five decks in the midsection. These ships plowed along at 11 knots or so. All were named for Army generals.
The captains were American merchant marine officers. The crews were often from the Philippines or Guam. We had three "calls' for each meal. The stewards would walk through the decks with a xylophone. A few bongs on this instrument were followed by, "1st call for breakfast." Each family had an assigned "1st, 2nd or 3rd" call for meals.
There were movies inside the day room every day with old western serials leading off before the main feature. The troops had movies outside on the fantail on a really big screen.
One of the MSTS ships broke in half while tied up in Seattle. The ship sections were raised and welded back together and this old girl sailed for another decade. At some point, the US Army gave up its navy and MSTS was administered by the US Navy.
I think all have been scrapped since none of them were exceptional.
A couple of private companies, Matson and President Lines, also carried Americans back and forth to Asia and Europe. One of these was the "President Cleveland."

Eric and Dave 2009/4/10 15:15
Wally,
Two weeks is about right. Eric mentioned the small staterooms. Probably about 8X10 feet with three double bunks as I recall. Since I was in a family of three we didn't need the top bunks and had plenty of room to put stuff.
I was in a much larger stateroom on my last crossing but I had to share it with several hundred other Marines.
Dave

Page 67 of 233: Posts 1321 - 1340 of 4650
prev
1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... 233
next

reply to this thread