Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 68 of 233: Posts 1341 - 1360 of 4652
prev
1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 233
next

Yokohama Navy Exchange was where? 2009/4/10 17:34
I'm not sure there ever was a Navy Exchange in Yokohama. I have been in the area (Navy) since 1976. There was a commissary and still has a commissary in the Negishi housing area on the top of the hill where the horse racing track was. The grandstands are still there. I live in Yokosuka now but I still go to the club on occasions. I hope this helps.
HTC Retired
by HTC (guest) rate this post as useful

Easter and Passover 2009/4/10 23:08
To my Christian friends, Happy Easter, and to my Jewish friends Happy Passover. And, to the IRS, go to he**.
by Wally (guest) rate this post as useful

Ditto - Wally 2009/4/11 04:46
Same to you, Wally - and to everyone else on this thread.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Yokohama Navy Excange 2009/4/11 11:05
These pictures are Honmoku area from 60's to 70's, contributed by John before.

http://www.navycthistory.com/yokodown_page2.html
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Yup 2009/4/11 12:20
Thaks the place!!
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Bill Chickering 2009/4/13 02:00
When the shopping center theater was built by the Army, it was named for the late Bill Chickering, a Time Magazine war correspondent. In 1959, when the Navy took over administration of Yokohama, the Bill Chickering name was removed. Some time in the 1960s, the name went back up again.
Wonder if any of our old Navy hands could say why?
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Living in area 1 and the ridge 2009/4/13 19:09
I would lke to respond to Eric Davis, who I must have met. We arriverd in Yokohama in Dec 1947 and the Army housing areas 1, 2 and the ridge were brand new. I went to St Joe's until 1954 then to Yohi grades 6, 7, 8, 9, we then were tranferred to Okinawa where I graduated high school. My Father first worked on the war crimes trials and then at JPA Japan Procurment Agency. We first lived at 266B in area two and then 366C on the ridge line. The Neet Nac club was wonderful .
by Dennis O'Brien (guest) rate this post as useful

movie theater 2009/4/15 04:05
I haven't been to Japan in 54 years, so my memories of what the PX, etc., looked like are totally unreliable. I do remember going to the movies though -- the first one I saw was "Frances Joins the WACs" On Saturday afternoons there were serialized stories that absolutely terrified me. My younger brother loved them but once I started sitting on the floor so that I wouldn't see, I just stopped going. Does anyone remember what they were?
by SrCath rate this post as useful

Dennis O'Brien 2009/4/15 11:03
Hi Dennis - good to hear from you - welcome to this site. It sounds like we were at St. Joseph's at the same time, though I left in spring of 1948 when we emigrated to the States. That last year I was in 4th grade and you must have been in kindergarten. I lived in the billets on the Bluff, a few minutes walk from the school, where my Mom worked for the American Red Cross. I remember taking piano lessons from a sleepy elderly brother at St.Joe's, and laboring over arithmetic homework which the entire Red Cross tackled with me, it was so hard. I also remember lots of volleyball games in the dusty back field, and watching the boys play a rather wicked game of soccer.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Hello, Dennis O'B 2009/4/16 00:24
The Neet Nac Club--
The unsuspecting will probably think this is a reference to some secret society, but for everyone else, it was the Teen Can or Teen Age Club, located behind the PX complex. A kid could get a cold Coke and a sandwich and play a game of pool or ping pong. I think I still have a membership card stuck away somewhere.
Do you remember Manny Gordon, who also worked at JPA ? He was a friend of our family who got me interested in stamps. My dad mentioned that all incoming mail at JPA seemed to have the stamps vacuumed off by Manny before anyone else could see them.
The Gordons had two boys, the youngest was Mark (can't remember the eldest) and were very generous people.
Mr. & Mrs. Gordon were also in the same lodge as dad in Tokyo.
I can't say we ever met, but your name sure is familiar.
Does the name Burt Dilley jog your memory from that era? He was with JPA and also had an NSA assignment (this was not uncommon.) Whenever my dad would kid him about being a NSA spook, his standard response was "there is No Such Agency."

Yokohama of 1950s. 2009/4/16 23:06

Hi, there;

These are the Yokohama port piers, Isezaki-Chou, Chouja-Machi, and Yokohama]Bashi shopping street. These are near the Honmoku area.

http://www.kaikou.city.yokohama.jp/document/picture/07....

Kaoru
by Kaoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Again 2009/4/16 23:11

old Yokohama 2009/4/17 02:30
Thank you, Kaoru-san, for posting the very interesting series of historical pictures of Yokohama. They represent "my" era in the community and brought back many memories.
I vividly remember the house boat people who were born, lived and died on the old canal that ran through the city. The canal is now a tunnel and the city relocated the boat people into more modern apartments.
My folks and I watched 4th of July fireworks from these boats. The fireworks were shot off from the canal toward the bay.
The troops pictured in one scene appear to be Turkish. For some reason I never understood, the Turkish Army had something going on in Yokohama and they had PX privileges and took advantage of our US Army buses go get around the city. Probably something to do with NATO.
The little Japanese kid beside the water might as well be me; skinny and alert and ready for a game of just about anything.
Can't overlook the streetcar pix. You can see the "bottle opener" overhead connection on top of the car and the mass of wire that provided power. I think these were blue and white and in some other locations were burgundy and white. Each car had a driver and a conductor. \13 for a one way ticket. \25 for a perforated round trip ticket about the size of a postage stamp.
The warf pix with the ship, crowd and streamers is exactly where our MSTS vessel tied up.
And the 1958 picture of the Studebaker convertible is a hoot.
Much appreciated, Kaoru!

Translation 2009/4/17 16:38
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Thanks 2009/4/17 17:27
Hi, Dave-san

Thank you for the translation. I was born in Negishi in 1959. At that time, there was no oil industrial complex yet. I played frequently with mom on the beach of Negishi. My dad worked in the Yamate police station. He was dispatched in SP of US Navy for one year.

Kaoru

Translation 2009/4/18 14:17
Hi Kaoru-san,
I was a 12 year-old kid in Yokohama in 1954,5 and returned to Atsugi in 1964,5 when I was in the Marine Corps. I have many happy memories of Yokohama from both visits. Thanks for posting the old pictures. I posted the translation because I wanted read what the pictures were and I thought others on this list would also need a translation.
Dave-san
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Translation 2009/4/19 00:50
Thanks, Dave! I am one of many, I'm sure, who appreciated the English version.

I sure would like to see pictures of Yokohama (on-base and off-base) from the 1980's. Anyone have any from that timeframe?
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Translation 2009/4/20 06:37
Hi Dave, thanks for the translation, but as Wally knows I really don't need the translation, I am especially good at reading the computer squiggles and other gobbely-gook.. especially after a few Whiskey co-co's, I just can't spell !!
Did you see the translation of the women at the pier, was very cute.. said something like.. separation of the pier at Yokohama. I hope the women didn't fall through when the pier separated. Learned a new trick to learn Japanese, Talk like Yoda.
Snow is gone in New Hampshire [finally] now playing pick-um-up-sticks. After our little ice storm, have a few peices of wood extra. Anyone like some wood? Didn't think so.. none of you guys have ever taken me up on one of my offers. Going to eat worms now, good with wasabi.. hmmm..
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Peanuts 2009/4/20 14:50
Peter,
I've been reading the old posts. I remember the Peanuts Bar. Up a steep flight of stairs with a second bar another flight up. They would close one for cleaning in the middle of the night and we would all move to the other floor. Then later they would repeat the procedure. I can't remember any of the bands but they were all good.
Dave
by Dave Horne (guest) rate this post as useful

Cherry Hill 2009/4/20 15:06
When I lived in Yokohama as a kid in 53, 54 we lived in a house off Yomate-cho right above the Cherry Hotel. I can't remember the number. There was a road going up from the east end of Motomachi that went up past several small hotels before ending by some steps that led up to the area where our house was located. We were on the end of a fourplex with a beautiful view of the city. There was one more level above us that had our parking lot and two more fourplexes as I recall and then a road about a block long that led out to Yomate-cho. Does anyone remember that area?
Dave
by Dave Horne (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 68 of 233: Posts 1341 - 1360 of 4652
prev
1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 233
next

reply to this thread