Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 8 of 157: Posts 141 - 160 of 3136
prev
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 157
next

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/16 22:17
Japan to shorten or drop quarantine requirements for most arrivals from March

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/02/16/national/japan-entry-ban-...
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/17 08:08
Previous post overstates what the JT article actually said. But, it is a positive development and the article is worth a read.
What a country with infection under control might look like (and which countries qualify) will be interesting.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/17 19:45
I've seen some information regarding letting students in from March forward, but it also states that you would need the 2 shots plus the booster shot. My question would be if people like me, who have the Jhonson & Jhonson vaccine plus a booster shot would be alloewd to enter under this conditions?
Another question i would have is what would be considered going to Japan to study per they guides, i was supposed to go there for a month to study Japanese, yould that be considered going there as a student?

Thanks in advance.
by FCascalheira (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/17 21:58
Latest article in Japan times:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/02/17/national/japan-eases-covi...

- business travelers and new residents allowed in from 1/Mar
- no tourists allowed in
- quarantine 3 days or less (depending Country of travel origin)
- 5000 people maximum a day (this includes Japanese and existing residents)

So we can still expect quite a wait until all people with new residence visa who are waiting will be allowed in. Plus there will be competition with the business travelers.
I read somewhere that about 400,000 people are waiting outside of Japan already with their visa in hand. I would assume that a certain number of these people have given up on the meantime, but still itfsa lot of people. Assuming that maybe only 2000 of the daily slots are available for new residents and assuming that only 200,000 want to enter, it still gives 100 days before that backlog is cleared.
So hopefully with the shorter quarantine they can increase the daily entry premits quickly. Other wise it will take many months before waiting visa holders and normal business travelers are in and would mean that tourists are still only a plan for the far future.

But itfs a step forward.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/17 22:01
@ y FCascalheira (guest

It sounds like you donft have a student visa but planned to go with a tourist visa.
In that case at the moment you are not one of the category of people who will be allowed in.

If all goes well the border will reopen a bit more every few weeks. But being in Japan already in April on a tourist visa at this point seems unlikely TO ME ( But no one can know)

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/17 22:03
Hi, @FCascalheira,
As for your second question, I think it is 'student visa holders'. If I understand Japanese articles correctly, students who are allowed to enter Japan earlier than tourists is expressed as —¯Šw¶. It is generally student visa holders.

Before the pandemic, many students of a one-momth-language course could do that without a visa as a tourist, using a visa exemption program. I am not sure if those kind students can apply a visa now and treated as a —¯Šw¶.
by Mabuhay (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/17 22:20
Will be interesting to see if they eventually go a similar route to New Zealand and permit tourists from tourist visa exempt countries first, considering how many business and student visas need sorting in the mealtime. This would obviously limit how many tourists they have coming in to begin with, to some degree.

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/19 22:02

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/20 08:25
if they eventually go a similar route to New Zealand
In this circumstance, NZ is probably not a good example. Japan is applying a lot more logic than the hopeless mess that NZ has proposed for entry in 2022.

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/20 17:43
Interesting. So does that mean you see it as being more likely Japan opens up to tourists before NZ? I'd say yes, if there wasn't an election in July. Public opinion regarding opening up to foreigners seems to be changing quickly, but I don't know if it will have completely changed in favour of opening by before the election.

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/21 02:21
I suspect, a lot will depend on possible new variants and what happens once they start letting in students and business people in March.

Things also change as vaccines change. I believe there are now improved vaccines in the works. I think things also change as treatments change. We know a lot more about treating Covid than in March 2020.

I plan to make a potential itinerary in case Japan is open for the Summer, but I also plan to make a potential itinerary of touring the East Coast of the USA if it is not and at some point, I'm just going to book that East Coast trip.

I also plan to make a potential itinerary to visit Japan in December 2022. But I have to plan around school breaks and many people posting here do not.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/21 07:55
Japan opening for tourism ahead of New Zealand - IMO, yes. International airlines will not bother with capacity to NZ while quarantine is still required, and there have been not indications on when quarantine free entry for NZ will be available. Even the October dates given by the New Zealand Government still requires seven days isolation (quarantine) and that is eight months away. While that timeline and requirement might be adjusted, it shows the conservative approach while places like Australia are expecting 50 flights today with travelers that are not required to quarantine. It would not be hard for Japan to better NZ on that basis.
@FCascalheira - sounds like you do not have a student visa, so entry under the next stage of border relaxation would not be permitted.
Also, for clarity, there is no "tourist" visa that people occasionally reference. There is a "short term stay", and a "temporary visitor permit" for those covered by the visa waiver programme (mostly suspended). Certainly pre-pandemic a short term stay was an easy way to visit for language studies and I know someone that enjoyed three months in Shinjuku by doing that.

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/21 19:18
I thought the final two steps in NZ's plan for reopening didn't require quarantine? That is insane, if so! What tourist is going to do that for a week?

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/25 07:32
Maybe soon more than 5,000 people per day?

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/02/24/national/further-easing-b...

The article actually doesnt say anything apart from "Kishida is considering to ease border measures even a bit further" in parallel to decrease of 6th Covid wave
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/25 08:00
Same info from a week ago. March the 1st is when these changes should kick in.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/25 08:34
@H
The point of that article is that beyond the opening as of 1/March there might be a further easing coming. But no details are in the article. So it seems the typical Japanese way of testing the waters, see if everything stays calm enough and then do an other micro step forward.

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/25 16:08
Yes, this is talking about a further easing, which will probably result in the daily cap being increased, or similar.

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/25 18:23
Of course there is further easing of restrictions coming. You don't need a news article to tell you that. Although it was in this weeks and last weeks news articles.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/2/26 15:45
Today the procedure was announced how to apply for entry under the new rules from 1/Mar:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220225_34/amp.html

Re: Resumption of tourism - Latest info? 2022/3/1 06:58
Since New Zealand has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I thought I'd pass on the news that yesterday the NZ government announced that the requirement for all visitors to self-isolate upon arrival has been dropped. This is in response to the reality that while case numbers in NZ are skyrocketing due to Omicron, the number of cases among incoming travellers in quarantine facilities is relatively small. The government has also indicated that the dates when tourists will be allowed back in (currently July 2022 for visa-waver countries) will be brought forward. Visitors will be required to have two rapid antigen tests after their arrival, and a PCR test if either of these is positive. Note that unvaccinated visitors will still have to spend time in a managed isolation facility.
by Walkingfool rate this post as useful

Page 8 of 157: Posts 141 - 160 of 3136
prev
1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 157
next

reply to this thread