Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Page 84 of 233: Posts 1661 - 1680 of 4651
prev
1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 233
next

Area 2 Videos (Yokohama Navy Housing) 2009/8/14 03:04
Hello everyone! I'm still here, just haven't posted lately. Obviously I survived (barely) the HOT weather here in western Washington state a couple of weeks ago. We don't have air conditioning in our house, so it got quite miserable! Anyway, to the main point of my post. Here are links to a couple of videos I discovered while exploring on the internet. I can tell they were filmed in the early '80's because windows are boarded up on some of the housing units.....exactly as they appeared when I lived in Negishi Heights. I had friends who lived in Area 2 and Bayview Heights, so I drove through there and saw what is shown in these videos. There is also music, which I enjoyed: some American and some Japanese.

www.video4viet.com/watchvideo.html?id=Q5xGyspkBvM&title=AreaIi, Yokohama(pt.1)

www.video4viet.com/watchvideo.html?id=tM6N159Hy8&title=Area+Ii%2C+Yokohama+(pt.+2)

Enjoy
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

Les Paul 2009/8/14 03:50
I heard this afternoon that Les Paul had passed away at age 94. The Les Paul & Mary Ford radio shows were standards on FEN back in the 1950s.
Whenever "How High the Moon" was played when I was a kid, it seemed that it was music unique and straight from the USA. Clive James wrote no one played the guitar with the sweetness and velocity of Les Paul.
He invented multi-track recording and while he didn't invent the electric guitar, he introduced its possibilities to a thousand musicians.
I'll drink a toast to Les Paul this evening...
by Eric (guest) rate this post as useful

Japan - and NYC 2009/8/14 09:37
Thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes for Jeff - he is indeed planning on going to Kamakura as a day trip from Tokyo, I think - I'm not sure if he'll make it further south on the same trip - hopefully he will.

Regarding Eric's comment about the Japanese picking up even stray leaves as they fall - Japan must indeed have been an ultra-clean country, even during the post-war occupation. I remember that when my Mom and I landed in San Francisco, we decided that there must have been a parade - there were in our eyes so many papers lying around on the streets - we soon discovered there had been no parade - it was just the way cities were - and we all know how clean San Francisco was, and maybe still is, relative to other places.

By the way, we just returned to the Berkshires after a few days in NYC - and I'd like to put in a good word for NYC - it's truly beautiful during the summer - New Yorkers love flowers and greenery, and they can be seen everywhere. The newest "green" area is an above-ground park in the downtown Chelsea area - 50 feel up in the air. What happened was that old railroad tracks which once lead to the meat-packing district were abandoned and about to be torn down, when someone had the brilliant idea of creating a park around these tracks. This long park extends about 30 blocks, with sitting areas, floral arrangements, exotic trees, a great view of the sunset over the Hudson, wonderful lighting. The park actually extends over some old buildings, and through some newer ones which tower above the park. Eventually this park will work it's way up to 34th Street. It's called the High Line Park, and was just opened a month ago.
by Steffi (guest) rate this post as useful

Videos and Pictures and another map 2009/8/14 12:43
Lori-san,
Thank you! These are fantastic and have great music that suits them. I had some trouble with your links but I found some that are easier to use and have more information and also a link to 200 pictures and some more videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxGyspkBvM&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMt6NlS9Hy8&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o64IAP-hSQ&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQLdKqFtV0&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ageC46RotqI
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8595475@N03/
There is a good map in with the photos that shows landmarks and can be blown up.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8595475@N03/524420140/
Enjoy!
Dave-san
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Thanks, Dave! 2009/8/14 13:40
I went back and tried the links again that I had posted and they wouldn't load. Glad you found others; I will try them.
by Lori (guest) rate this post as useful

YoHi Alumni 2009/8/14 14:09
Barbara-san,
Thanks for all the information on people. I remember Dick & Jon Shaw, twins with blond crew cuts, but unfortunately none of the other people you mentioned. I still haven't found my old yearbook. Pictures might refresh my memory. There is a good list of people at the Yo-Hi site and a few names of people I remember but the only pictures I've found there from 1954 are of the seniors.
Larry Rowe's email address was removed from your post, I guess by Japan-guide to keep the web bots from copying it. You have to disguise email addresses to something like dhusmc at aol com.
I don't know why you are getting the walking tour in Japanese, which I don't read either and have to translate with software, because the link I posted is in English at my end. To make Omarudani-zaka easy to find, look immediately to the right of my house, 8-599 and it is the moon-shaped street. http://yohidevils.net/kanto/1956yoko/56yoko06.gif Look at the West Bluff Area in the lower right and 8-599 and Omarudani-zaka is right above the word area. On Google Earth it is directly to the right of the Yamate Italian Hill Garden which was Army housing in 1954.
Where are you from in Pennsylvania? I was born in Johnstown.
Dave-san
by Dave Horne rate this post as useful

Les Paul - for Eric 2009/8/14 22:15
In today's Times there's a commemorative 15-minute video of Les Paul and his career - I think you'll enjoy it - click below, then scroll down to the videos - it's the first one presented -

http://nytimes.com/

YOHI 2009/8/14 23:34
Dave-san;
As usual, you've knocked another one outta the park with the posted utubes on Area 2 and Negishi.
I remember the fire station at the bottom of Fire Engine Hill but didn't remember it being a one stall barn.
I used to burn the brakes off my bike coming down this hill. How I survived those years is a wonder.
Thanks again, Dave!

Pix and Vids 2009/8/15 09:12
Dave you are amazing.. the photos were wonderful ! And a very clever "disguise".
I am hoping that my old army friend Terry will join us, we served together as food inspectors or in his case beer inspector.. but this is his tale to tell.
Where is Japan ginger ?
Hope all are well and cool especially Lori.. Heat wave..get an AC ! 40 years ago.. woodstock ! [ i was inspecting lettuce] another tale for Terry. This is a first, welcoming someone before they arrive.. we'll see. Off to the opera tonight. Ta Ta
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Yo-Hi Alumni 2009/8/17 07:56
Dave-san, like so many others on this forum I really appreciated the youtube and flicker links you found and shared with us -- thank you! With your easy to follow directions, I took Google's street-view tour of Omarudani-zaka downhill, turned right at the bottom, which took me to Motomachi, another random right turn took me back uphill through the Yamate Italian Hill Garden area near your old house. What a lovely neighborhood -- though some of the buildings have changed, the streets remain narrow, partly shaded with leafy green, and I even found some stone walking steps that headed uphill, but the little yellow Google man refused to go up them. Thanks for the trip along memory lane.

Your memory of Dick and Jon Shaw, the twin brothers with blond crew cuts, is right on target. They weren't identical twins and did not resemble each other except for the blond crew cuts. I went to the Yo-Hi Junior Prom with Jon, who I think became Yo-Hi's senior class president the following year. My dress was made by a seamstress on Motomachi Street from a picture in Seventeen magazine. The seamstresses took your measurements, created a muslin pattern, and with only one fitting, their fine workmanship produced beautiful clothing starting with a mere picture -- what a luxury that was for an ordinary teenager! Those were the days when the girls had dance cards, on which the young men could sign their names for an appointment, so to speak, for a dance. First and last dances were reserved for the young man who brought you to the dance. Anyone remember dance cards? Since you recall Dick and Jon, Dick lives in San Diego, and Jon, a military psychiatrist, lives in Florida. For additional information that comes in the Yo-Hi newsletter, try jnjrowe at suddenlink net. A very clever idea!

Since you ask, my connection with Pennsylvania comes through my father, who was born and raised in Altoona. My grandparents' home was our official address while my father was in the Navy, and I spent many summers with my Altoona grandparents between our frequent military moves. I was happily surprised to read that you were born in nearby Johnstown because my husband was born and raised there -- attended Garfield School and graduated from from Johnstown High School in 1952. We were in Johnstown two years ago, rode the Inclined Plane up to Westmont, enjoyed the lovely view from a restaurant on top of the hill, visited three outstanding museums, and sadly learned that my husband's family home had been neglected and abandoned to the point of deriliction.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't found your yearbook -- don't give up the search. My high school journalism teacher in Wheeling, West Virginia, loved that yearbook, borrowed it for a while, so that he and the printer could reproduce the silk brocade look in imitation leather for the Triadelphia High School yearbook, a tradition that continued for many years.

Does anyone remember the distinctive smells of Yokohama? I remember that all the dresser drawers and wooden boxes that I opened, and many of the Motomachi shops I entered -- all had a distinctive, not unattractive but slightly medicinal smell of cedar. We also had a large cedar tree in our garden, so that is the one smell that always takes me back to Japan.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Baerbara 2009/8/17 21:59
Hi, Barbara -- I'm an occasional poster. I was only 7 when we left Japan in 1955, so much of what is discussed here I have no recollection of. But I have an abiding love of all things Japanese, and love reading the postings.
Sumiko, our maid, made coats for my brother and me, following pretty much the same procedure as the seamstress for your prom dress. They were beautifully tailored and I was very sad to out-gow mine! I've gotten over it, though. :-)
As for the smells of Yokohama . . . I went to the 1966 New York World's Fair and I knew as soon as I was in the vicinity of the Japanese Pavillion because of the scent. And I had not smelled anything like it in the 11 years since I'd been gone. It was wonderful. I would identify it as somewhat sweeter than cedar, but whatever it is, it is distinctively Japanese.
The other smell I identified as Japanese for many years is creosote, but that's really any place there are ships and piers. Japan was just my first recollection of it. (Dad was ocean-going Army, then Coast Guard.) Gotta go!
by Sr Catherine (guest) rate this post as useful

Japanese aromas 2009/8/17 23:10
The only smell I remember as being distinctly Japanese had to do with the ashes of their ancestors, which were kept in a sort of prayer-corner, with an incense or something burning nearby - that gave off kind of a gentle distinctive smell in old Japanese homes. But perhaps that's not what you're talking about.

Sr Cath - nice to have you back, and to know that you're still "tuning in." We're having a heat wave at this end of Massachusetts - how are you doing? Barbara - what part of the country are you posting from? I'm sure you mentioned it but I can't recall.

Uniquely Japan 2009/8/18 03:20
Tangerines.
Hibachi charcoal.
Trains packed with commuters.
Sandal wood.
Tatami mats.
Dried fish.

and at the bottom of the list;
Honeybuckets.

More Japanese aromas 2009/8/18 04:38
As a kid I used to munch on these dried sea food things - I think they were squid or octopus legs. Very delicious. The Japanese dried them in some kind of powdery sweet substance. They gave off an aroma that drove my Mom out of the room - but I loved it - it was like a lollipop. I've seen it here in Japanese food stores - packaged as little strips of fish - I think it's called cuttlefish, which has a similar taste and a leathery texture. The Japanese seem to package everything now, so it's possible to find all kinds of items in cans, cellophane, or frozen.

Also all the things made out of daikon had a distinct aroma which people either ignored or hated.

heat wave 2009/8/18 07:51
We're having one out on this end of Massachusetts, too. It's hot enough that we've cancelled our services until Thursday morning. The funny thing about living in a religious community is that when services are cancelled everyone celebrates. I love our services, but it's kind of like a mini-vacation when we don't have them. In case you're wondering, we have Eucharist at 7:30, Lauds at 8, Midday at 11:45, Vespers at 5:30 and Compline at 9:15. With the exception of Eucharist they are all chanted in Latin.
I definitely remember the open air fish markets. I have never been fond of fish and I'm sure that the fish markets didn't help anything. We always had a big jar of dried fish under the sink for the cat we inherited from our neighbors when they were transferred back stateside. That's another smell that is reminiscent of Japan and one that I actually don't mind. As long as I don't have to eat it.
Stay cool.
by SrCath (guest) rate this post as useful

Yokohama Smells 2009/8/18 11:18
What a wonderful question.
As a food inspector I don't know if we had more acute sense of smell than anyone else, we were taught to use all of our sences when doing food inspections, win lose or draw, sometimes as Dave may know it was not a Rose Garden.
I love Ericks buttet points..straight to the issue.
For me there are ten thousand stories about all of this but heres one.
About two weeks after arriving in Japan I got a little apartment on the canal accross from Motomachi. It was on the edge of Chinatown so it was really between both worlds. I lived there by myself for about 10 days before my wife joined me .
I awoke early one morning.. about 4 or 5 made a cup of coffee and went out to sit on the front steps looking out at the canal and the barges getting ready for the days work, the barge people were making there breakfasts, pumping the bilges, as the trucks dieseled by and trash trucks made there rounds. Smolked soy-fish-diesel-bilge oil and polluiion mingeled with cheap black coffee and the hint of some wood smoke with a tinge of burning plastic or wax. Underlying this..incense from some family shrine somewhere and bringing up the bass, the delicatly dangerious odor of some circut breaker that overloaded giving just a hint of ozone and burning electrical tape, but not so much as you would notice except that at some rare moments the sences just open up and process everything that was and is. It was all beautiful and rare. At that moment I realized how lucly I was that I was freed from the monotone smells of a previous life that I had left behind.
I'm getting hungry for Yaki-tori..
And no it wasn't all good. I remember the container of what once was frozen food where the reefer unit crapped out somewhere before the international date line, and arrived in Yokohama about 10 days later. I had the distinct duty of inspecting all of the stuff inside.. I remember a handfull of goo and thinking.."I wonder what that was ?" Compared to what some other soldiers were having to do..I had it very easy.

Ran into a you tube video called the Marathon Monks of Japan. Very interesting.. but caution ..is about 20 minutes Well worth it, a rare insight into a mysterious buddhist practice. I was spellbound..ok easy for me.
by Peter (guest) rate this post as useful

Father Sebastian in Yokohama 2009/8/18 23:10
I wonder if there are any former parishioners of Sacred Heart Cathedral in Yokohama. Does anyone remember Father Sebastian? He must have been a Franciscan since he wore a brown robe. Where was he from? He used to visit my neighbor (The Whelens in Honmoku). Also, does anyone keep in touch with Barbara Lewis (now Porter) or Betty Sue Lewis (sister)? They lived in Honmoku and attended Yohi (around 1957-60). Their hometown, if I remember correctly, is Collierville, Tenn.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Father Sebastian in Yokohama 2009/8/19 02:55
Honmokujin, funny you should ask. I was going to ask Sr Catherine if she remembered Sacred Heart Cathedral. I lived on Yamate-cho, which we called Bluff Road when I was there, 1952-54, and I walked to nearby Sacred Heart Cathedral every Sunday to attend Mass. I do not remember the names of any of the priests there, but recall the Franciscan brown robes. The Masses were said in Latin with homilies in Japanese. Actually, I'm wondering if the church was considered a cathedral at that time, something that I don't recall clearly. Sorry, cannot answer your other questions; however, in my last recent forum entry you will find an e-mail address of Larry Rowe, the person who edits the Yo-Hi newsletter -- he might be able to help. Another source of help might be the person who manages the Yo-Hi Devils website on the internet.
by Barbara (guest) rate this post as useful

Father Sebastian in Yokohama 2009/8/19 04:32
Thank you, Barbara, for your leads. I will pursue them. In 1960 and 61, I used to attend the Catholic Youth Organization's Saturday night dances in the basement of the Sacred Heart Church (it's been a Cathedral since the 60s, I think. I remember a guy named Gene Lo (sp?) from Yohi who was a very good dancer. Anyway, Father Sebastian used to supervise the dances.
by Honmokujin (guest) rate this post as useful

Sacred Heart Cathedral 2009/8/19 10:16
I have absolutely no recollection of any churches, I'm afraid. We were actually Protestant and attended a service somewhere on base, but it wasn't a church, I don't think.
I have a good friend whom I met about 5 years ago who attended St. Mary's when she was in elementary school, but she never mentioned Sacred Heart Cathedral. I'll try to remember to ask her about it when I see her on Thursday.
Oh, dear. The Blue Jays just got a two run homer off Becket to tie the game. This is serious. Very, very serious.
The great thing about being a switchboard operator is that I can do my computer work while watching the game on tv.
Barbara -- if you want to go to www.communityofJesus.org, you can see what my community is all about.
by SrCath (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 84 of 233: Posts 1661 - 1680 of 4651
prev
1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 233
next

reply to this thread