Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanto Area: Itinerary/Transportation 2013/2/26 17:40
Hi,

I will be visiting Japan for a few days in the first week of April.

My trip is short so I am planning on staying only within Kanto region. I
Should I get the JR Kanto Area Pass? If so, what is the most efficient way of getting from one place to the next? And best way to get around each city?

I have searched online for a while but can't find the best way of getting from Shinanoki, Hakone to Lake Kawaguchiko. Should I skip Kawaguchiko? I was thinking to visit that area to get a nice view of Mt. Fuji as I don't plan on hiking it. I'll be traveling with two others. What is the best way to get around Nikko, Hakone, and Kawaguchiko? I am interested in nature, photography, so I am hoping the cherry blossoms will be out during my trip.

Here is my itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive Narita, stay in Tokyo
Day 2: Depart Tokyo for Nikko in the morning, explore Nikko during the day, spend the night in Nikko
Day 3: Depart Nikko for Hakone in the afternooon?, Spend the night in Shinanoki in Hakone.
Day 4: Explore Hakone in the morning, Take train or bus to Lake Kawaguchiko from Gora, Hakone(?) and spend the night to catch sunrise the following morning
Day 5 Return to Tokyo in the evening

Even with the pass I'm sure I'll have to purchase additional tickets I've already booked all my accomodations accept for 4/3 since I'm most confused about that portion.

Thank you in advance!
by laokni  

Re: Kanto Area; Itinerary/Transportation Help! 2013/3/3 00:04
Kawaguchiko Station of Fujikyu is inside the usage area of a JR Kanto Area Pass. Hakone is outside the usage area. This pass is valid for three consecutive days.

If priority is given to seeing cherry blossoms, I would allot the afternoon of Day 3 to Tokyo and Day 4 to Kawaguchiko, discarding Hakone.
If priority is given to experiencing a hot spring, one option is to allot the afternoon of Day 3 to Minakami and Day 4 to Hakone, discarding Kawaguchiko.
(From Nikko you can get to Minakami earlier than Hakone / Kawaguchiko.)
If priority is given to observing Mt. Fuji, you may well hope to visit both Hakone and Kawaguchiko as you plan now. Note that if you fully utilize a JR Kanto Area Pass, it will take about 4 hours or more each for Nikko -- Hakone-Yumoto and for Hakone-Yumoto -- Kawaguchiko.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread