Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido in April - Shiretoko itinerary 2013/3/3 00:39
Hi all, it's going to be my first time in Hokkaido (travelling solo as well) this coming late April (21 - 30 Apr 2013) and am hoping to get some advice about an itinerary that still looks a bit clunky.

Day 1 - Arrival in Sapporo
Day 2 - Sapporo
Day 3-5 - 3 nights in Furano (taking day trips to Biei and perhaps even to Sounkyo)

This is where things get a bit uncertain.

Day 6 - 7 - I'd like to spend this time visiting Shiretoko's five lakes and perhaps even take a bus through the Shiretoko pass in order to visit Rausu. Would staying a night or two in Utoro be the best idea in this case?
Day 8-9 - 2 nights in the Lake Akan area
Day 10 - Departure from Kushiro airport

Would renting a car in Utoro and returning it after 2 days be a better idea? I'm thinking of going with the JR Hokkaido pass but the Shiretoko region is rather inaccessible during this time.

Thanks for all your help in advance. If there's a better way to restructure this itinerary, I'd be grateful to hear about it.
by Tinman (guest)  

Re: Hokkaido in April - Shiretoko itinerary 2013/3/4 00:28
For a first time visit, don't miss out Otaru while in Sapporo.

Doubtful if there are things to do and see that can keep you occupied for 3 overnight stays in Furano during April.

1 night stay should be enough for Akan-ko. If you can take in Akan on the first day, you can go for Kussharo-ko and Mashu-ko the next day before bedding down in Kushiro.

Driving is indeed a very good way to explore the countryside of Hokkaido. The only concern is the weather condition during April, especially in Shiretoko Peninsula where April is still considered a winter period. Take a look below at some access restrictions in Shiretoko Peninsula.
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+99875

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in April - Shiretoko itinerary 2013/3/4 00:45
Hi William, thanks for your reply!

I've actually changed my travel dates to late May (20 - 30 May) so hopefully there'll be more things to see, especially in Furano. Essentially the itinerary remains the same, but I am having a bit of a problem with the middle bit of the trip.

20-22 May - Sapporo, day trip to Otaru
23-24 - Furano (should i start my car rental here?)
25 - Undecided - I wish to break journey enroute to Shiretoko/Utoro so it's just going to be a night of stopover. Should I consider staying overnight in Abashiri or Asahikawa? Would the JR Hokkaido pass still be worth buying?
26 - 27 - Either stay in Utoro or Rausu in order to fully visit Shiretoko
28-30 - Lake Akan and perhaps doing a day trip to Teshikaga?
20 - Departure from Kushiro

Thanks in advance! I'd be grateful for any suggestions you have.

Would you happen to know what's best
by Tinman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in April - Shiretoko itinerary 2013/3/4 04:05
Apart from Sapporo and Otaru, consider touring Hokkaido using a car for more freedom and flexibility than restricted by infrequent public transports, especially around the Shiretoko Peninsula. The only concern is the additional drop-off charge if you rent from Sapporo or Furano and return in Kushiro.

Utoro is definitely a better base for exploring Shiretoko for its major sites such as Oshin Koshin Falls, Furepe Falls, Shiretoko Five Lakes, Kamuiwakka-no-taki and the Aurora Shiretoko cruise. Rausu is a small fishing village easily done as a side trip from Utoro. Actually on a tight schedule Rausu can be skipped if you need more time elsewhere.

Indeed the hard part to decide is between Furano and Shiretoko because there are many worthwhile options. Asahikawa has an interesting zoo and the best Hokkaido ramen in Ramen Mura. Sounkyo Gorge has lots of scenic spots. Abashiri may have less to offer but its prison museum is quite unique, IMO.

To complicate things further, if you are going May you should consider going for some seasonal flowers in Eastern Hokkaido. For tulips there is the beautiful Kamiyubetsu Tulip Park. For pink moss there are Takinoue Park, Shibazakura Park and the Taiyo-no-Oka Engaru Park.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Hokkaido in April - Shiretoko itinerary 2013/3/4 10:07
That's brilliant, thanks!

I suppose my alternative now is to spend a night in Asahikawa and then take a day tour of the tulip and the pink moss. I'd gladly rent a car, but it might not be easy to navigate around a city and get free parking in a hotel.

My only concern really is that the drive from Furano straight to Utoro for 1 person in one day might be too much.
by Tinman (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread