Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mid April 2013 itinerary 2013/3/26 00:23
Hi all,

I've planned my 1st trip to Japan.
I'm going with my girlfriend and a friend. We all are anime fans but we would also like to enjoy traditional side of Japan. I'm also trying to plan my trip so I could me some nice photographs so I will get most of my equipment (I'm just an amateur enthusiast). Could you please take a look at my itinerary and tell my what you think of it?

April 13th - Arriving in Tokyo. (Hotel in Shinjuku booked for two nights)
April 14th - Staying in Tokyo (visiting Studio Ghibli museum and checking some photo-related shops in Shinjuku)
April 15th - Going to Kyoto (Ryokan booked for 5 nights)
April 16th - Kyoto
April 17th - Kyoto
April 18th - Kyoto
April 19th - Nara/Kyoto (Hostel booked for one night)
April 20th - Going to Nikko (thinking about doing quick stop at Hikone to see the castle)
April 21th - Nikko/Going back to Tokyo at evening (Hotel booked for 9 nights)
April 22nd - Tokyo
April 23rd - Tokyo to Hirosaki to see the castle
April 24th - Tokyo to http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3701.html
April 25th - Tokyo to Hakone (staying there whole day and leaving at evening) or Matsumoto
April 26th - Tokyo to Nokogiri-yama (staying there whole day and leaving at evening)
April 27th - Tokyo to Kamakura (staying there whole day and leaving at evening)
April 28th - Tokyo
April 29th - Tokyo
April 30th - Departing from Tokyo

Like I mentioned before my goal is not only to see nice places (love the castles, pity that Himeji Castle is in renovation) but also be able to photograph them in nice environment (no crowds prefferably sunrise or sunset).

I've been also thinking about making short trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto but I'm not sure if it's worth it (I would rather take it easy in Kyoto).
As you can see I will spend most of the time in Tokyo but I would like to see some surrounding areas.
I have found all the Itineraries for Kyoto and Tokyo and will use them for sure - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3051.html
Is there any other photo amateur (or pro) who went to japan with similar assumptions? Any hints on what to see or when is the best time to visit?

Appreciate your answer.
Thanks

Artur
by ar2rro  

Re: Mid April 2013 itinerary 2013/3/26 08:01
Tokyo to Hirosaki is going to be a pain. When I was stationed nearby I visited Hirosaki during sakura and it was beautiful. However, I was traveling from the Pacific coast straight east. Yours is going to be a over 4 hour train trip each way. While it's doable and you get to ride the quite new E5 trainsets, is it worth it as a day trip from Tokyo? Maybe you can stay the night and head to Towadako the following day and then return to Tokyo in the late evening/night.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Mid April 2013 itinerary 2013/3/26 08:17
Looks like a good itinerary. I noticed you were doing 5 days in a Ryokan and then going to a hostel in Nara? For me i will usually do a night in a Ryokan and then go for business hotels because they are generally clean and much cheaper than a Ryokan but obviously, without the 'traditional' feel. I only say this because people who stay in hostels are usually on a budget...
It's a shame about your timing because you'll just miss the cherry blossoms by about 2 weeks. You can always head north to catch up to them.
As for Hiroshima, I would always recommend going there and if you want nice photographs then you have to head to Miyajima. I would say sacrifice a night in Kyoto (4 days will be plenty, maybe even still a day long for me unless you want to go very slow and i think you may get templed out) and stay the night on Miyajima. You can even tack on heading a touch further south and go to Iwakuni and there are some great shots to be had there, especially around the Kintaikyo bridge. They have comorant fishing there but i think it's seasonal and that makes for some beautiful night shots.
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Mid April 2013 itinerary 2013/3/26 08:19
Geez that last post of mine reads poorly. I guess it always pays to re-read before hitting submit.
by halfnhalf rate this post as useful

Re: Mid April 2013 itinerary 2013/3/26 16:38
Tokyo to Hirosaki is going to be a pain.

The reason why I want to go there is that I've got myself 14days jpass and I was thinking about some nice castle to see in exchange for Himeji Castle. I will definitely reconsider staying there for a night.

I noticed you were doing 5 days in a Ryokan and then going to a hostel in Nara?

I have a nice Ryokan booked in Kyoto for 5 nights. Only drawback is that it's half an hour away from Kyoto station by bus. I'm planning to visit Nara only for one day and then go back to Kyoto.

As for Hiroshima, I would always recommend going there and if you want nice photographs then you have to head to Miyajima. I would say sacrifice a night in Kyoto (4 days will be plenty, maybe even still a day long for me unless you want to go very slow and i think you may get templed out) and stay the night on Miyajima. You can even tack on heading a touch further south and go to Iwakuni and there are some great shots to be had there, especially around the Kintaikyo bridge

Iwakunie looks very tempting indeed, but isn't that in same distance as Hirosaki from Tokyo? I will plan trip to Iwakunie just in case.

Thanks for all the reply.
by ar2rro rate this post as useful

reply to this thread