Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foreigners as vets in japan 2013/3/29 09:12
I'm currently studying in Hong Kong in my second last year of high school and ever since learning about Japanese culture, I have always wanted to be able to live in Japan. However I have wanted to be a vet even before I learnt about Japan, so I'm wondering if it is possible to work as a vet in that country.

I know that vet courses are graduate courses in Japan. What I want to know is, can I really get into this course? How can I do so? I'm from China and my current Japanese level is at around the JLPT N5 or N6. Is it possible for me to take a one-year intensive japanese course before applying to an undergraduate course there?

If I don't study in Japan, is it possible for me to finish my studies in, say, the Royal Veterinary College in London, and then go to Japan? Do I need to take a licensing test and how would I do so?

Finally, if possible, I would like to know about a real life example of a foreigner who was able to become a vet.

Thanks!

by Jenny Kwok  

Re: Foreigners as vets in japan 2013/3/30 13:47
To practice as a vet in Japan, you need to pass the exam for a national license in Japan.

To be eligible to sit for the exam, you need to either (1) complete the six-year veterinary studies in a Japanese university, or (2) have completed the equivalent studies outside Japan or have been licensed as a vet outside Japan, and considered (by the Japanese authorities)to be equally competent to or more competent than those who completed six-year studies in Japan.

- If you study the language in Japan (one or two year full-time study) and pass the exam to enter a university in Japan, that is one way. But if you study this way, you will be licensed to practice only in Japan. Also, studying 2 years for the language and 6 years in university will be very expensive. (YOu will need to be able to cover all tuition and living expenses.)

I would suggest you complete your veterinary studies in your country, and see how you feel then.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigners as vets in japan 2013/4/1 13:40
Thank you very much! Your answer has cleared all of my questions on my veterinary studies.
by Jenny Kwok rate this post as useful

reply to this thread