Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gozaimasu or gozaimashita 2013/7/5 23:09
Is the latter used for past tense? When I was in Japan, after I took a photos of people, I said "arigato gozaimashita" but they always looked at me funny, and when I said "arigatou gozaimasu" to others, in contrast they didn't give any strange reaction.

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong?
by Saus (guest)  

Re: Gozaimasu or gozaimashita 2013/7/6 11:27
Yes, the "shita" is the past tense.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Gozaimasu or gozaimashita 2013/7/6 13:23
I don't think you said anything wrong... Personally I don't find anything wrong with saying "Arigato gozaimashita" after having taken photos, because what you are trying to say is "Thank you (for HAVING ALLOWED me to take photos)," so thanking them for something they've done for you, so to say.

But because it is in "past" form, (1) some people might have found your thank-you sounding a bit too final, as if to end the conversation. Or, (2) some might have wondered "Have I done something for you before?" because it is often used to thank others for past favors given, like "Senjitsu wa suteki na purezento wo arigato gozaimashita" (Thank you for giving us a nice present the other day).
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Gozaimasu or gozaimashita 2013/7/6 19:45
As AK said, "gozaimashita" is right.
If I asked for permission to take photos of people,
also I'll certainly say "Arigatou gozaimashita" after I took photos.
"Arigatou gozaimasu" can be allowed but a bit strange because it's done.

Although I can't find the reason of thier reaction.
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread