Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kumano Kodo: Tsugizakura oji to Kobiro oji 2013/9/23 14:01
Hello,
Has anyone done the 3.8km/2.4mi portion of the Kumano Kodo between Tsugizakura oji and Kobiro oji? Just trying to figure out if it is worth a stop to do that hike, or if we should put our time elsewhere (like in our layover in Kiitanabe). We will have a little bit of extra time between getting to Kiitanabe in the morning, and eventually catching the Ryujin bus to Hosshinmon-oji hike trailhead (where we will do our hike to Hongutaishamae).

Thanks,
Emily
by TravelAficionado  

Re: Kumano Kodo: Tsugizakura oji to Kobiro oji 2013/9/25 09:12
Hi Emily,

The route you mentioned may still be mostly closed.
http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/nakahechi/tsugizakura-oji-to-ku...

However, the area around the Tsugizakura, including the old teahouse and especially the natural spring, are worth seeing. If you are in the area already I'd recommend 45 minutes or so to wander around a bit. The teahouse is unstaffed now but it's picturesque and you can open the door and sit inside. People come from pretty far away to fill their water tanks at the spring, so it's very nice to have a drink there and fill your water bottles.

Leaving Chikatsuyu you can see an interesting graveyard but aside from that the path is pretty nondescript until you get up to the Tsugizakura. Hope that helps.
by KumanoKodoMan rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo: Tsugizakura oji to Kobiro oji 2013/9/25 13:56
Thank you very much, KumanoKodoMan. I did not see that that section was damaged. We will stick to wandering in the area then.

We are not doing the entire Nakahechi route (just small sections as time allows).

I have two more questions.

1. Is there a preferred direction of hiking the Koguchi to Ukegawa section of the Kumano Kodo? (http://www.tb-kumano.jp/en/kumano-kodo/nakahechi/kogumotori-goe/) The guide makes the hike sound pretty easy, and like you can do it in either direction. We will be starting at Hongu that morning and were planning to bus to Koguchi and then hike to Ukegawa (and bus from there to Shingu afterwards) - just because the guide is written that way, and it looks like you get the steeper portion out of the way early into the hike. But Ukegawa is closer to Hongu (the start of our hike). Maybe its just a personal preference thing? Or are there difficult sections that involve climbing (which is easier up than down) - or other challenges like this that make one way easier than the other?

2. To start the trip, we will be coming from Koyasan. The plan is to wake up very early on a Monday in time to ride the rails to Kiitanabe and make the bus connections to the Hosshinmonoji trailhead by 13:42 (and hike to Hongu) that day.

Alternatively, we can lengthen our trip by a day and do the 10:05 express Nankai Rinkan bus (on Sunday) down from Koyasan to Kiitanabe. Maybe stay around Nonnaka area that night. And this would get us an earlier start on the Hosshinmon-oji hike to Hongu the next day). http://www2.tb-kumano.jp/en/transport/pdf/Kii-Tanabe-Ryujin-Koyasan-bu...

In helping us to choose which route to take, how is the Nankai Rinkan bus (Koysasan to Kiitanabe) experience? It is described as "incredibly scenic."

Thank you.
by TravelAficionado rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo: Tsugizakura oji to Kobiro oji 2013/9/27 22:49
Hi Emily,

Sorry, I don't know much about the section of trail that you mentioned! I'm sure it's fine in both directions.

As far as bus vs train, the Ryujin Skyline is quite scenic, but especially so in the autumn. If the leaves are changing I'd definitely recommend it. It's quite curvy, so beware. The train is also nice in its own way; really it is up to your own preference. The local train down Koyasan is really atmospheric but also very slow. If the leaves are changing or the air is really clear that day I'd say take the bus but you can't go wrong either way!
by KumanoKodoMan rate this post as useful

Re: Kumano Kodo: Tsugizakura oji to Kobiro oji 2013/10/10 04:49
Thank you for the advice, KumanoKodoMan. We will try the atmospheric bus then.
by TravelAficionado rate this post as useful

reply to this thread