Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Clothing to wear in Hokkaido 2013/11/17 19:14
Hi there, I am planning to travel around the Hokkaido region from the 16-26 of December.Since it is the first time I am travelling in a country with a cold climate, I need help, or rather, advice on what I should wear in order to keep myself warm.Your advice is greatly appreciated.Thx!
by anonymus (guest)  

Re: Clothing to wear in Hokkaido 2013/11/18 10:21
Take lots of layers and a head cover. If it's cold, you put on more layers with a coat over the outside, and if it's not as cold you can take some layers off. Having a lot of layers is better than having one giant coat that might get too hot.

You lose most of your heat through your head, so a warm hat keeps the rest of you warm.

If you're spending most of your time indoors, you would only need a few layers as you made your way between places. If you're going to spend any time walking outdoors, you might add gloves to the above.

Also, shoes that have some warmth with a sole that would give traction on snow or slush. Leather-bottomed dress shoes are a good way to slide.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Clothing to wear in Hokkaido 2013/11/18 10:24
Layer layer layer! Depending on if you are the type who runs hot or cold usually, layering means it is easy to add or subtract depending on your current temperature. This is important because if you wear too much and start to sweat, you'll feel colder. Also, if you are going to be mostly outdoors versus mostly indoors, you can adjust accordingly.

In cold weather, my layers are usually as follows:

Layer 1: light-weight heat-tech leggings/turtleneck pair (from uniqlo) or sometimes silk underwear or cotton underwear, again as a leggings + turtleneck pair + socks

Regular pants/jeans/etc. and regular turtleneck or shirt on top

Sweater as the third upper layer

1 or two jackets depending on how cold it is/how long I'll be outside. I often pair a uniqlo light down jacket with an overcoat of various sizes. The uniqlo down jackets are nice because not only are they light and thin, but very warm, and you can roll them up and stick 'em in a bag if you get too hot.

I also include any of the following, again depending on length of time in the cold: leg warmers, haramaki (goes around your waist), extra socks or wool socks, gloves, scarf, earmuffs, neck warmer, etc.

If you are a person who runs cold (like me!) I really recommend uniqlo stuff, as it is really warm but thin. You can really layer under your regular clothes using it! I also like the chemical hand warmers that you can put in your shoes or coat pocket that stay warm for a long time.

Otherwise, visit a sports shop like REI for cold-weather gear and underthings, or any place that has snowboarding/skiing stuff will have cold weather underthings. The sales people can also help! And if you're going to be out in snow a lot, weather-proofed/water-proofed things like boots and pants will be your friend!

Have fun and stay warm!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread