Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa (Kerama) - Jellyfish experience? 2014/1/6 03:31
Hi there,

we plan to go to the Kerama Islands this year in July. Has anyone experience regarding jellyfish during this time of year?

We read that box jellyfish mainly appears June-October.

Would be very sad if we could not go into the water because there are many jellyfish...

Thanks a lot
Sebastian
by Saseb  

Re: Okinawa (Kerama) - Jellyfish experience? 2014/1/6 08:53
I have not been to the Kerama Islands, but I spent a few days in Ishigaki during July where I was stung by a box jellyfish. It was excruciatingly painful.

However! If you are staying at a resort, or a hotel, and they have a designated swimming area there is a very good chance they will already have it netted off so that the jellyfish cannot get near the beach in certain areas. I was staying at a private beach house, and they generally don't see jellyfish until late August or September. That's why they didn't have the nets up yet.

Also, you can go ahead and buy a Stinger Suit to wear over your bathing suit so that if you DO encounter a jellyfish, the tentacles will just slide off the net of the suit and not sting you.
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

reply to this thread