Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/27 23:00
Hi, I am interested to visit Ishigaki, Taketomi and Iriomote Islands and would appreciate it if someone could help me with the planning.

I am taking ANA flight from Fukuoka to Okinawa and then Okinawa to Ishigaki. The flight will reach Okinawa at 5.30 pm and depart at 5.45 pm for Ishigaki. Is 15 mins transit time too tight ? Would I run the risk of missing the connecting flight ?

For these 3 islands, could I cover major sights just simply relying on public buses and on foot ?

Thanks
by Adeline (guest)  

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/28 10:35
Is 15 mins transit time too tight ? Would I run the risk of missing the connecting flight?

Seems awfully tight. Did the airline book that for you, or did you do it yourself? What are the two different flights?

For these 3 islands, could I cover major sights just simply relying on public buses and on foot ?

No, a rental car is recommended since the sights are spread out and the bus connections are infrequent.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/28 10:35
also wanted to add, Taketomijima can be done on foot or by rental bike.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/28 12:44
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I too think its too tight unless its the same aircraft. This schedule was provided by JTB agents. However, I called ANA directly this morning and found out that there is a direct flight from Fuk to Ishigaki (though its through their partner airlines).

The only consideration left is that it would be inconvenient to tour Ishigaki and Iriomote without car ( I can't drive nor cycle !).

Not sure if its still worth it if I concentrate only on the 1-2 major sights ?

Any other views ?

Thanks !
by Adeline (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/29 00:54
When I was in Ishigaki, I spent a bit of time in the main city and it is beautiful. There are lots of little shops to see, and the walking atmosphere is very lovely. You can also take the ferry to Iriomote and explore the island there, mostly on foot I believe.

But the Yaeyama Islands are more for relaxing, I feel. If you want sights to see and lots of things to do, you'd be better off traveling to Okinawa and seeing Naha City, the Aquarium and the beaches on the coast.
by Amyranth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/29 05:17
I've done this without car. You should book a bus tour (or maybe a boat tour?) for Iriomote so you can get around.

I didn't get to go around Ishigaki other than the city, but I believe it is possible to get around a bit by bus or taxi. Maybe check with your hotel.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/29 09:36
Hi,

I went to the Yaeyama Islands last August for 2 weeks and explored pretty much ALL the small islands there. There are buses in Ishigaki and Iriomote.
As I used a rental car on both islands, I'm not sure how slow traveling is by bus.

You can read all about my trip here:
http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/yaeyama-islands/
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/30 14:05
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Will most probably book tours in Iriomote and for Takemoti, sightseeing by foot.

Any idea if its a risk to only book tour on day of arrival ? I intend to travel around 2-6 April.

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/30 20:16
Hi Adeline,

Everytime I went to Ishigaki, booking one day before or even on the same day was not a problem. But it was always in March or November, never tried on April.

You can contact Hirata group, they organize many trips to Yaeyama islands from Ishigaki and can even help you to organize a personal trip (not a group tour). That is what I did for Iriomote and I recommand them.

http://www.hirata-group.co.jp/english/

Regarding Ishigaki and Iriomote I suggest either to rent a car or to participate to group or guided activities that include transportation.
by Prolls rate this post as useful

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/30 22:55
Prolls, thank you for your feedback.

Zoomingjapan, I just read about your trip and the photos looks great !

Tentatively, this is my plan :

Day I - Arrived at Ishigaki (afternoon).
Day 2 - Taketomi
Day 3 - Iriomoti - full day tour (kayak and trek)
Day 4 - Iriomoti - Funauki Village (Ida-no-hama) and Hoshizuna no Hama Beach
Day 5 - Iriomoti half day - water buffalo cart ride to Yubu island and back to Ishigaki
Day 6 - Ishigaki or other islands ??
Day 7 - Fly out of Ishigaki

Questions :
1) Is the itinerary workable ?
2) Though I like to take things slow, I wonder if full day in Taketomi is too long ?
2) If I would to snorkel, should it be be at Hoshizuna no hama beach or Yonehara beach ?
3) Day 6 - any suggestions ? Kabira Bay or time is better spent in other islands ?
4) Zoomingjapan, is Nishi Hama Beach alone worth the effort to travel to Hateruma ?
5) Any suggestions for accomodations ? My budget is cheap to mid range, preferably near port for easy access.
6) Any of you has done a sea kayaking form Iriomoto to Funauki ? The tour information states that its suitable also for beginner and I wanted to find out how safe is that for beginner, since it is out in the sea ?
7) Where would be a good place to do a night star gazing ? Preferably at a location easily reached from the hotel/minshuku.

Thank you all for your patience and any advice/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/1/31 10:14
Are you sure you only want to stay in Ishigaki for such a short time? There's a lot to explore on Ishigaki! :)

For star-gazing Hateruma is GREAT! And the beach alone there is worth a visit! :D
You can stay overnight and go back to Ishigaki the next day, for example.

The kayaking tours are usually for beginners.

Yonehara is great for snorkeling.

You can easily spend a whole day on Taketomi if you want to swim/snorkel, but you can also do it in half a day.

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/2/1 23:22
Hi Zoominjapan,

May I know if you stayed overnight at Hateruma and if so, where and did you pre-book. ? It seem to have limited accommodations and food places ?

Would you also be able to recommend a good minshuku in Taketomi ?

Thanks

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/2/2 10:41
There's absolutely no need to stay overnight in Taketomi.
I wanted to stay overnight in Hateruma and take a "night star tour", but then the waves were so high that the ferries couldn't run and I had to leave in the afternoon. :(
I booked in advanced as it was August - and even though I booked about 1 month ahead of time, it was difficult to still find something.

As I didn't stay overnight in the end, I can't tell you if it's any good, but I planned to stay in "Hotel Oceans Hateruma".

Re: Yaeyama Islands 2014/12/9 09:41
Zoomingjapan,

I had a read of your blog and liked it very much. I'm heading back to the Yaeyama Isles this winter.
I loved my time there this summer. I hit Ishigaki-shi, Kabira, Sukuji and then headed off to Kuro-shima and Taketomi. I loved Taketomi so much that, unlike most day-trippers, I bedded down and stayed there nearly a week.
This time I'm hoping to hit a few islands I've not seen before. Maybe a day trip to Hateruma and then a few days on Iriomote. Do you have any advice as to where I could possibly base myself on Iriomote? Where do people tend to stay on the island? I'd like to be somewhere that has a nice evening vibe, maybe somewhere near Yubu. That place looks like my cup of tea.

Thanks in advance.

P
by bigpaulc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread