Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinjuku Metropolitan Building: 2 Questions 2014/2/22 19:32
1) What's the difference between Shinjuku Meropolitan Building and Tokyo Skytree? I know there's a difference in height, and Metropolitan Building is free, but what about the views, and the areas they are in? Why would you choose one over the other?
(We have about one day, or one day and one evening in Tokyo. Should we bother with Tokyo Skytree, because compared to Shinjuku, the Tokyo Skytree area does not seem as vibrant as Shinjuku... Correct me if I'm wrong! We are first time visitors to Tokyo, so would like to experience the most of Tokyo.)

2) What's the difference between the North and South observatory of the Shinjuku Metropolian Building? I've read that the south tower has better views...but does it really matter which we visit? Is the view from the north tower obstructed in some way? (We're aiming for a sunset view of Tokyo, but the south tower closes at 5.30pm. If the North Tower view isn't good, then we'll visit in the morning so we can go to the South Tower. If there is no big difference from the North Tower, then we'll go there during sunset)

Thanks.
by Keith (guest)  

Re: Shinjuku Metropolitan Building: 2 Questions 2014/2/23 13:01
The south tower gives you an unobstructed view of everything to the southeast (Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Tower, Daiba, etc.)

The sun sets over Fujisan, so either tower would be alright for that.

Shinjuku has more skyscrapers and the night lights of Shinjuku Station. Skytree is all by itself way far from there. What you will see from there depends greatly on the weather. If it's cloudy or hazy, you won't see anything close to Shinjuku, let alone Fujisan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Shinjuku Metropolitan Building: 2 Questions 2014/2/23 23:59
Tokyo Metropolitan Building is a office building for Tokyo metropolitan district therefore the entry charge is free. The higher part of the building is not specially designed as observatory.
Tokyo Skytree is the broadcasting tower for Kanto region, the higher part of the tower is specially designed as observatory. It's self operated(privately owned) tower therefore you need to pay as you enter the tower.
Tokyo Metropolitan Building is located on the west side of Tokyo main district whereas Tokyo skytree is located on the east side of Tokyo.
You can be seen a panoramatic view from Skytree. Metropolitan view is from high office building.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Shinjuku Metropolitan Building: 2 Questions 2014/2/24 03:31
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: Shinjuku Metropolitan Building: 2 Questions 2014/2/25 13:31
I recommend the Tokyo World Trade Centre before the Metro Building:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3057.html

It's only 500yen (with voucher) but it's a lot nicer. It's cleaner, there are seats that you can sit, relax and enjoy the views.

When we went mid-day after Tsukiji and we pretty much had the place to ourselves and got some great photos.
by Obake (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread