Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/27 15:34
Understand that minshuku at shirakawa-go are all shared bathroom, did anyone have any experience of bringing a baby there?

I wish to bring along my 9 months old baby girl together, plan to have a one night stay there.

Please share with me your experiences, any difficulties? Is it suitable?

Thanks a lot!
by Tan Ya Wen (guest)  

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/27 19:35
Not a baby, but we travelled there this autumn with a 4 yr old. No problems.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/28 09:32
Thanks Winter Visitor

this will be my 1st time bringing my baby to go travel, and minshuku at shirakawa-go are using shared bathroom, wonder any difficulties to bath a baby there?

hope more parents will share with me their experiences, thank you.
by Tan Ya Wen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/28 13:34
First let the minshuku know that you have a 9 month babay. If it is a problem for them they will tell you.
However, even if they say it is okay, you will probably very nervous about your child crying because these places are far from sound proof. You will be able to hear pretty much everything that is going on at your neighbor's room and that means it's the same for the others and if your child tends to cry loudly in the middle of the night, you will be spending the night feeling like you're on the edge of a knife.

Here is a blog by a Japanese mom who stayed at a minshuku in Shirakawago with a 1 yr old.
http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=ja... .

Google translate never does a real good job but I guess you can tell that she was very nervous about keeping the baby quiet.

by Harry Takeuchi rate this post as useful

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/28 17:23
Harry has a really good point. There's no soundproofing. If your baby sleeps through the night, that's great, but I guess at that age they'll still be waking to feed in the night, so you might need to think about whether that can be done quietly.

I don't think the bathroom situation will be a problem.

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/28 18:56
We found the smoke from the fire inside the minshuku to be a real problem: so much so we decided to not stay.....it was really smoky, and pervaded everything: maybe we were unlucky, but it could be an issue
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/2/28 20:30
I guess the minshuku are all different. We stayed at Maguemon, and all ate around the fire, but the room where we ate was big and there was no problem with smoke.

We took a couple of extra layers for our daughter, in case it was a little cold in the night, but in fact we were all cosy and warm and had a lovely time. In her memory, staying in Shirakawa was one of the highlights of the trip. Of course, 4 year olds are quite different from babies, and all children are different, but (other than the noise point, above) if you're happy taking your little one touring around Japan, I don't think staying in a minshuku will present any large additional challenges.

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/3/1 08:13
When the fire is started, there is a lot of smoke in the living room for a certain period of time. But the smoke later disappears almost completely. The smoke is instrumental for the homes to remain dry. It is part of the world heritage. If you intend to stay at a 300 year old home, do not have any expectations towards comfort. If you have any doubts, don't stay.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/3/1 09:48
The smoke is instrumental for the homes to remain dry. It is part of the world heritage. If you intend to stay at a 300 year old home, do not have any expectations towards comfort. If you have any doubts, don't stay.
Thanks Uji: we had not made a reservation, fortunately, so no harm done. As an asthmatic, it was certainly an issue. And the fire seemed to have been going for some time.....apologies for any offence to you.

by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Baby can stay at shirakawa-go minshuku? 2014/3/1 10:51
I had read that sometimes the homes are smoky and I also like fmj have breathing issues so I visited Shirakawa-go on the way from Takayama to Kanazawa.

The couple of homes open to the public seemed a bit smoky to me so I was glad I decided not to sleep over....
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread