Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 02:03
I'm going to make this long story short so if you need additional information just ask ;)

Well I hosted my Japanese friends (6 of them)in my home for 10 days,everything was going fine and dandy except for the last two hours before their departure.
I have to admit I was drinking quite a bit so I started rough housing with one of my friends(i'm going to label him A) since I saw him doing the same with my nephews. It was just innocent playing I continued to rough house after my nephews went to bed. I thought everything was fine since my friend(A) fought back until everybody started leaving and one of my friends(B) said urusai assuming i didn't understand him. The friend(A) I was rough housing then told me "I don't know if you noticed but everybody is annoyed with you" I immediately stopped and said i'm so sorry he replied with "you ruined the night for everyone,just before we leave"
So I sank into a deep depression and told him i'm going to be outside for awhile so everyone can cool off.
after a good 20 minutes I went back inside and apologized to everyone especially to friend(A)whom I rough housed with,I expressed how deeply sorry I was and told him how my behavior was normal with some Hispanics but I shouldn't have done this with Japanese people ,I then told him I should have been more understanding and mature. To which he replied "you can do that shit with Hispanics and Americans but don't do that shit with Japanese" "when you come back to japan don't bring that shit with you".I then thanked him for his honesty and told him I would never do that again of course I said more apologies but it seemed like he wasn't going to accept it.
That night felt so terrible for me I spoke to my other Japanese(C)friend to whom i'm very close to in secret and he assured me i did nothing wrong i begged him to be honest with me but i feel like he was just saying that just to make me feel better.
The whole night afterwards felt awkward they accepted my apology except one of them but I didn't feel their sincerity,I stayed outside while all of them stayed except two(C and another i didn't mention whom i'll label R) stayed in my room and from the sound of it were talking about me. My mother who was awake through most of the predicament thought the rough housing was fine and couldn't tell that they were annoyed she later told me that it seemed that they didn't accept my apology and that they seemed angry at me for my stupidity.
Everyone gave me a hug goodbye expect for (A) whom was still very pissed off,once they left I cried the whole night not knowing what to do I ruined everybody's night it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth..i'm not sure if they truly understood how terrible inside i felt for offending/annoying them I wish they did. I feel like complete shit,I want them to come back next year and stay,I promised them I would behave and act more mature they said they would would...but i'm not sure if they're being honest.
Is there any other way for me to apologize or did I really screw up?

Additional info I'm 23 yr old female
friend A is 30 male
B C and R are male 31 ish
Thanks for any advice!!
By the way friend (A) was the one who asked if he could stay at my place but never specified how many people were coming I assumed 3 since that's how many people he mentioned at first I still forgave him for that and welcomed everyone with open arms sometimes I would make breakfast and dinner for them. At times friend (A) would mock me in Japanese assuming I didn't understand him yet I still forgave him since I feel life is too short to stay angry at someone. I honestly loved them like family but maybe that feeling wasn't mutual....
another reason i thought it was ok to roughhouse like such was because i did so with another of my Japanese friends and he was totally fine with it!! We contact each other everyday he's like my brother.Although it's still not an excuse for the way I acted that night!!
by Thina42090  

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 13:07
Rough housing is quite a broad term. What exactly did you do to A that pissed him so much that he or they refused to forgive you? Japanese is sensitive due to their culture. How long did you continue? I think it's a strong clash of different cultures.

Recently I went to a bar with some foreign friends (I'm Asian). There was this European friend who was drunk and grabbed me from behind and wouldn't let go. The rest were just looking. So I had to use both my hands to cover my chest.

The next day, I told him you said/did some awful things when you are drunk. He was apologetic and kept asking what was it? I didn't want to kick a big fuss so I said forget it.

A group of us went out again and in his drunken state, he told us his **** is long. And when we were alone, he suddenly asked if I want a taste of it. I saw that he immediately regretted it because he has a gf. I was shocked and kept quiet. I didn't get mad either because I knew he didn't mean it at all. You could see it the way he acted in front of so many beautiful women.

Your friend probably didn't understand you that well or not fit to be your friend. We all do/say silly stuff time to time but if you find a friend whose willing to pardon you and move on together, it's a friend for life.

by Elsa (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 13:29
Well I was punching him and grabbed him but he did the same and apparently he hit my ass a lot i didn't notice since i was drunk I thought he was hitting my leg!
But if he didn't want to roughhouse then why didn't he tell me to stop from the beginning?!
Why did he continue?! I have to admit though I did continue for quite awhile to the point of being annoying...
I understand him though I embarrassed him in front of all his friends...

by Thina42090 rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 15:09
You hosted him AND his friends who are total strangers(for free probably?) Don't you think they should conform to you instead of you adjusting to their high and mighty japanese ways? Unless you insulted each and everyone of them on a personal level, you would expect them to be more humble hehe.

That one of them didn't accept your apology? his/her loss. While I understand you feel embarrassed about the whole thing, I don't see reason why you should be depressed, so overly apologetic.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 16:04
I think you did all things as common-sense.
I don't think you need any further apology.
Is there any reason that you want him to come back to your place?
I think you can easily find more suitable Japanese people.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 18:59
I guess you must have rough-housed hard enough to bruise his ego. Cant think of another way to explain why he was so offended.

Don't worry about it because shit happens. Just be yourself and things will turn out fine. Like you said, life's too short. :)
by HomicidalCat rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 19:39
i think you just need to grow up

they will get over it but i think your relationship with those people is going to be really awkward

i'd start finding some new friends and limit the alcohol if i were you
by winterwolf (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 20:39
Well you did aplologize for your behavoir and that's good enough. As an older person, they should of been more forgiving and plus he was going along with it too. He should of told you or hint it for you that he's not comfortable.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 21:23
I think you hurt his(A) pride, but not other person's prides. There were something you have done, you did not mention here.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 23:27
No not really everything I mentioned is what happened...
We did do a coach exchange Me and my friend stayed at his place for two weeks but we were rarely there and even took showers at Internet cafes to cut down on his water bill.
He might have been embarrassed because he felt that he found a bad host for his friends maybe???

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 23:44
Well I can add even these tid bits of info
When he first arrived his self esteem was super high and he thought all the girls would go crazy for him like in Japan I guess but they didn't so after a week he stated to get depressed and started acting really weird.
Another note is that he thought for some reason I adored him?! That's why I let him and his friends stay at my place according to him... Because seriously who the hell invites soo many people without asking?!
He would do things like walk around the house without his shirt to try to embarrass me? He would constantly try to be really close to me but I wasn't interested, instead I became really close to one of his friends whom I never met before.
We became really close,stayed up all night watching videos talking etc. and we kinda unofficially stated a relationship...
I'm guessing this hurt his (A's) pride because the guy I was close to was short and not so good looking.
Too add even more insult whenever my really close friend would play on stage people went crazy for him ( with my help) so much so my other friends stated to call me his manager lol.
That must've hurt (a's) pride I think.... Because he was always the "other guy" in the back ground while the friend I was close to was always in the spot light thanks to my help. I guess he wanted it to be back to normal with himself always in the spot light
Oh yeah by the way they're musicians
Guy (A) and the rest are in a band while my close friend was a solo artist.

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 23:50
Not all due to my help actually sorry!! I just pepped people up that's it...he's an amazing musician that's why people enjoyed him in the first place!!

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/24 23:56
There you go, seems like you know why he's pretty upset. It's probably not the roughousing behavoir, it's more than that and that's what trigger him to become angry.
by o (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/25 00:47
lol, so basically guy(a) thinks his gal was "stolen" from him by his friend? it's a shame it worked out this way. But that's life, learn from it and move on.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/25 02:52
Well to be honest he wasn't seriously interested on me he just thought I was going to flaunt over him and he got butt hurt when I didn't!

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/25 08:49
I think you did the right thing by apologizing. If he's that much older than he needs to be the more adult one and not just continue to sulk over some embarrassment or perceived rejection.

In the end you can't control how other people are going to feel though. Your friendship with A might not return to what it was. But it is certainly not all your fault; there's no friendship in the world where there's not occasionally something to apologize about. If this hadn't happened when it did something else would have happened before very long.
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/25 14:39
Thanks for the replies everyone!! Although besides guy (A) I hope the others accepted my apology! Honestly..and not that bullshit tatemae crap...lol

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/25 21:14
do you know the meaning of tatemae ?
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/25 22:37
More or less and correct me if I'm wrong but it means the feelings or actions they put in front of you to make everyone comfortable?? Maybe I dunno I had it explained to me by someone with broken English so maybe it's wrong lol

Re: Did I ruin my friendship with my friends? 2014/3/26 04:43
Mistake 1, you let them into your house for 10days; you should have had them stay in a motel, and not the good motel like motel 6 or 8, the one in the ghetto.
Mistake 2, there was 6 of them, that a lot of peoples who going to talk about you when you mess up.

All jokes set aside, this was painful to read at first, having said thatc open your ears and listen upc

You have nothing to worry about and you should have not cry, there was nothing wrong with your behavior. So what you mess up on the last day, you were having fun and you were drunk, they should have understood that. You should have not cried all night, embarrassed yes cried no.

If I have to agree with anyone I would agree with gElsah she understood he was drunk and his action was because he was drunk and a lot of people donft understand that. You canft blame someone action because they are drunk.

Ask yourself this question, would you fight a person that is drunk who is acting crazy? If you answer yes than you are the same as your friends who visited you. If you answer no, than you understand being drunk mean you donft have control of your action and to let thing go.

Oh yes, one more thing. Japanese people are not racist from my experience and Ifm black, telling them because your Hispanic had nothing to do with it and there was no reason to bring that up to excuse your little rough play. Your rough play is your personality and you enjoy because you may or do it with your friends. Japanese people only see you as 1 thing gforeignerh and foreigner are loud, rude, and all the other stuff they talk about.
by SeikoSKO (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 25

1 2
next

reply to this thread