Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan trip - trip recommendation with JR pass 2014/3/30 23:03
I had purchased a 14 days JR pass.
My itinerary as follows:-
Arrived Osaka April 9.
April 11 - Depart Osaka to Kyoto
April 14 - Depart Kyoto to Amanohashidate
April 16 - Depart Amanohashidate to Takayama
April 18 - Depart Takayama to Namazu
April 20 - Depart Namazu to Tokyo
Please recommend the trains to take for the above journey.
Thank you
by hktan  

Re: Japan trip - trip recommendation with JR pass 2014/3/31 12:10
I think a two week pass is a little bit of overkill. The JR Pass is best for long distances, and usually not very good at travel within a city. It will work to get your to many of the places that you are going.

Even though you have the JR Pass, the JR train from Kyoto to Amanohashidate will do some of it's travel on non-JR tracks, and there will be a surcharge that the cunductor will collect.

You can figure things out using Hyperdia, but you sometimes have to know the station name of where you are going.

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Type in the names of the stations, say KANSAI AIRPORT and SHIN-OSAKA, and then hit the search button. You can refine your search by entering the date and time you are going to depart.

Hyperdia did not show a Namazu Station. When I tried to look up Namazu, I was linked to a page on Japanese Mythology, where Namazu is the name for a giant catfish that causes earthquakes.

There is a Namaze Station near Osaka, and a Numazu Station between Nagoya and Tokyo. Can you clarify where you are going? Do you have a station name?
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip - trip recommendation 2014/3/31 13:04
If you fly out from Haneda Airport [HND] or Narita Airport [NRT],
you had better consider canceling your application for a 14-day Japan Rail Pass and applying for a 7-day Japan Rail Pass (to be used on April 14 through 20).

Using an Ordinary-Class 7-day Japan Rail Pass cost-efficiently, you can travel JR sections in the above itinerary (with "Namazu" regarded as "Numazu") at less than 33000 yen.

The section Fukuchiyama -- Amanohashidate is operated by a non-JR company Kitakinki Tango Railway [KTR].

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Japan trip - trip recommendation with JR pass 2014/3/31 17:21
If you use hyperdia.com you'll find out all the train times, stops, and costs.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread