Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meeting a japanese penpal 2014/4/1 17:10
Hi! I'm from the USA. I'm going to Japan this summer for the first time, I asked on this website some advices and things I should do/visit in Japan. I wanted to know more of the Japanese culture.

So I had conversation on LINE with some Japanese people and most were guys. The thing is that I'm coming to Japan with my father and when I told them that I'll be with my father they just stop talking to me.......lol... I know it can be intimidating.

But there's a guy, same age, that continues to talk with me. It's only been four months we chat , we talked about our culture and he helped me a lot to plan my trip. He always telling me that he really wants me to visit and show me his hometown.

My first intention when I decide to talk to him was to learn more about Japanese people and the country. But I started to find him really nice. He can write in English but he says that his English speaking is not good and my Japanese is very poor. He did student exchange and he likes to show others his hometown.

I want to mind myself in something . Like if I'm meeting him in Japan, should I expect something or think it would be just to guide me. Maybe I'm overthinking.

I'm starting to find myself boring because the conversation I have with him is mostly about his country and sometimes mine. I don't know if he's only interested in touring... And when I start an other subject he doesn't seem to be enthusiast about it. I asked questions about him a little bit and about his travels history but I feel like I'm the only one who's talking. I'm not sure if he's not interested or shy. I don't want to break our relation like with the other penpals because I would appreciate if he can help me in Japan. It's the first time I met a Japanese guy and I know culture can be different in social interaction ( maybe I'm wrong).

I know it's not that clear but if you had an experience like mine , I would like to hear more about it! Did you met your penpals?

Thank you :3
by DuMaurier  

Re: Meeting a japanese penpal 2014/4/1 18:58
I love reading about posts like these because I like to share my experiences about mine. I answered this once before, but I will be more than happy to answer it again. :)

I have met two penpals. One was a very nice girl, who happened to be coming to a university not far from where I live, and was anxious to meet me at a public place, to which I found a little odd, because we barely talked for even three weeks. I decided to meet her anyway, and it went rather well, but after that, she basically never bothered contacting me again except for helping her for some of her work in English that she needed help with. I don't know what I did wrong because I showed her around some areas of the city and we got along well, but I guess I was too boring or something. Whatever the case, that was the last I had heard from her.

Then there was another penpal, whom I met not too long after the previous one here, and we actually hit it off rather well. We exchanged many emails, and found we had much in common. She is also a great English speaker because she majored in English and graduated with high honors in Australia. About two months later, she confessed that she fell for me, and the she wanted to meet me in person to see if we would get along and have a good time together. We decided to meet in Honolulu on New Years Eve, 2012. We had a great time together. Unfortunately, it was only for two days because of her job and we wanted to see each other again as soon as possible, and it couldn't happen for about ten more months, when I came to visit her in Japan. Long story short, I have been there to visit her twice now, met her mother and family, communicate with her every day, and we are currently in the process of getting married and she is moving here to do that just for me! Her visa paperwork is already finished, and its basically just counting down the days until she gets here. I wasn't looking for a relationship, but it happened out of nowhere, and I could not be more happier with her!

I am very lucky to have found a true person on here that I trust, and now love. I was very lucky to find her, and I am eternally happy and grateful that she is moving here just for me.

As for your situation, I can't say much about how why he's not interested about anything else but talk and show you around his hometown. Perhaps he's a bit shy or he is proud of his hometown so much that he wants to show it to you. Yes, being with a parent can be intimidating to most, which is why all the other guys stopped talking to you, lol. Having someone show you around is an advantage, I think, and experience their lifestyle and culture. My fiance, when I visited her in Osaka, showed me around, and I had a wonderful time! It was something that I will always remember fondly. See where it goes, and perhaps if you meet him in his hometown, he might open up to want to know our culture and talk about different things too. Good luck with your penpal! I hope it all works out! :D
by GMKR79 rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting a japanese penpal 2014/4/1 20:53
People is always looking far into things, expecting something to happen or thinking there are more to it than just being freindly. Just go and have a good time touring and meeting your freind. Whatever happen, happens.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Meeting a japanese penpal 2014/4/1 22:30
If he dislikes you then he will not continue to talk to you.
I think, he is okay partly to guide you in JP, but I believe he wants to be closer friend with you.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread