Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what JR pass is the best for our Japan trip 2014/4/5 18:27
4 adults travelling to Japan 16/9/2014 to 30/9
17/9 arrival Osaka airport train to Takamatsu
20/9 train from Takamatsu to Kyoto
21/9 train from Kyoto to Matsuyama
24/9 train from Matsuyama to Kyoto
26/9 train from Kyoto to Osaka
30/9 train from Osaka to airport Osaka

Many Thanks for Your advice

Frank
by Frank Butstraen (guest)  

Re: what JR pass is the best for our Japan trip 2014/4/5 23:44
You really have two choices, get a 14 day JR pass, or piece the transportation together using buses, ferrys, and a Shikoku 4 day pass.

Either way, you will probably need an IC prepaid card, probably the ICOCA.

The JR Pass is great for long distance travel, which you do about 4 times. The first two times is to and from Takayama, the second two times is to Matsuyama. Yes, you will reposition from Kyoto to Osaka, but that is a minor expense.

You will be able to get around a little bit with the JR Pass in Osaka and Kyoto, but you will end up needing to take a bus or a subway to get somewhere, and that is where the ICOCA card will be used.

The other option is taking a Nohi bus to and from Takayama, and then using a ferry to get to Shikoku Island from Wakayama or Kobe, and getting a 4 day Shikoku Pass for 7900 yen. The Wakayama to Tokushima is what I would suggest. Here are some links to help you figure out what you want to do:

Nohi Bus:
http://www.nouhibus.co.jp/english/index.html

Ferry Information:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2355_01.html

Shikoku Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_shikoku.html

By the way, if you do decide to get the 14 day JR Pass, you might think about getting the first class green pass. I have been told that the train ride to Takayama is very scenic, and I have been on the Limited express from Okayama to Matsuyama, and it is also quite scenic. The first class seats are on the first and last cars of the train, and the front and rear of the train, and you will be able to see out the front or rear of the train. Along with the windows on either side of the train, you get a pretty large view of the land (and water) around you.

Try to get the first row on the right hand side, for a less obstructed view. You will also need to ask which direction the train will be traveling, so that you can figure out if you want the first or last car.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: what JR pass is the best for our Japan trip 2014/4/6 02:53
ebaychucky: The first two times is to and from Takayama

Let me clarify: Is Takamatsu City in Shikoku Region the place you plan to tour first?

If so, it sounds to be a roundabout to get back from Takamatsu to Kyoto in Kansai then get to Matsuyama in Shikoku.
If not, that refers to another place, maybe Takayama City in Chubu region mentioned by ebaychucky.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: what JR pass is the best for our Japan trip 2014/4/6 06:27
Oops, I misread....

Omotenashi is correct. But why are you leaving Shikoku to go to Kyoto for one day, only to return to Shikoku?

Please ignore the bit about the Nohi bus to Takayama.

Somehow, I got the impression that you were going to the Takayama. It didn't seem right to bounce back and forth from Shikoku and the Osaka/Kyoto area.

The ferry from Kobe goes directly to Takamatsu, by the way.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread