Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Golden Week Travelling 2014/4/8 05:33
Unfortunatelly we did not know that there is Golden Week in Japan, so we are travelling to Japan ob 26th of April and stay there till 8th of May. Our Itinerary is:
27.4 Departure in Tokyo late afternoon
28.-29.4 Tokyo East and West
30.4 Day trip to Nikko
1.5 Leaving Tokyo for Hakone via Odawara and Hakone Yumoto. Make a clockwise trip starting with bus to Motohakome, boat to Togendai and Ropeway to Gora, bus to Gotemba and Kawaguchiko (Accomodation)
2.5 Kawaguchiko via Matsumoto to Nagiso, accomodation in Tsumago
3.5 Tsumago to Magome by foot, Magome to Nakatsugama by bus, and in afternoon train from nakatsugawa to Hiroshima
4.5 Visiting Miyajima and late afternoon departure for Kyoto
5-8.5 Kyoto with visiting Nara, departure to Europe late evening.

Could you now help us. How croded approximatelly will be on those days, Do you suggest on 1st May to visit 5 lakes rather than Hakon (train directly to Kawaguchiko) How crowded will be in Hiroshima and Kyoto. Is visiting Nara too optimistic or is better to visit Mt.Koya.
We already have accomodation reservation for all days.

Thank you
by northwest62  

Re: Golden Week Travelling 2014/4/8 11:59
Nara is nearer to Kyoto than Mt Koya. Takes just about an hour to reach. Can be done in 4-5 hrs inclusive of traveling time if you just visit that one temple (Todaiji i think?) that is adjacent to the Deer Park.

Apparently, the other temples are quite near too. So you might be able to visit them as well.
by CL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Golden Week Travelling 2014/4/8 12:27
Traveling during Golden Week, you should always expect big crowds. It is probably the worst time of the year barring New Years or obon. I visited Nara during Golden Week a few years ago, and while it was quite crowded, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Todaiji is a huge building and able to handle the crowds just fine, so lines weren't too bad, though I did wait a good 20 minutes for a shuuin (calligraphy unique to each shrine/temple).

Just expect it, and you'll be fine!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread