Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Succeeding in Japan 2014/4/16 01:29
Hi everyone,

I've read a lot about what it takes to get started in Japan (papers, language, etc.) but I am curious what it takes to succeed in Japan. I've lived & worked in Europe and the U.S. and I found that in America performance and work history means as much or more than a degree does when it comes to promotions and wage increases. This is especially true when hiring out at a different company in the same field. Europe, on the other hand, seems to look much more favorable towards education than it does work history.

I do not have a 4 year degree. My work history includes managing large projects, budgets and a workforce in excess of 125 people (both managers and hourly folks). My field is technical/transportation.

Is experience worth anything when looking for employment in Japan? And a second question, would not having a degree hamper advancement once started at a company.
by Marrek  

Re: Succeeding in Japan 2014/4/16 09:07
First, let me assume that you are fluent in the Japanese language.

Generally speaking, I believe Japan is closer to Europe than the States in that sense.

By the way, if you don't have a degree, in order to get a work visa, you'll have to have plenty of work experience in a relevant field. This is an Immigration requirement, so even if an employer is interested in hiring you, they cannot even sponsor you for a visa if you have neither of this. When I say "plenty," we are talking about 3 years for English teachers (because "being a native speaker of English" is not readily available among the locals), or 5 or more years - close to 10 years - for other jobs.

Often for Japanese locals hired at Japanese companies, there tend to be separate career paths for high school graduates and college graduates, but I don't know if this would apply to non-Japanese who have been hired particularly for their skills/experiences.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Succeeding in Japan 2014/4/16 14:50
Thanks AK. I was afraid it would be very similar to what you told me. Unfortunately I am also not a native English speaker but a European transplant.

On the bright side my current employer will pay for my degree, but I would have to postpone my Japan adventure until 2 years after completion to prevent from having to reimburse them. That would put me in my 40's

Decisions decisions ...

Thanks again for the information.
by Marrek rate this post as useful

reply to this thread