Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/17 21:20
Hey guys
Last month I visited my friend who is a naturalized citizen of Japan. When I was there he took me around tokyo. It was a fantastic adventure

But I am completely blur to a certain situation which happen in japan. When we were in a restaurant with some new friends that I got to know them since my friend live in Japan. But all of them ask me how is the Chinese culture. They were so curious that they ask me a lot of question. But when I told them I am a Chinese. One man around 50 just sigh for a moment and stare at me angrily

I don't get it did I do something wrong if I did then I am truly sorry
by luckyboy93  

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/18 12:36
You didn't do anything wrong. He's probably prejudice.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/18 19:09
there is no help for this.
Many Japanese think the Chinese government is a liar. some Japanese think the Chinese government is equal to Chinese people. I hope you know the truth from the outside of China.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/18 22:08
Oh I see so basically what I can do is tolerate ^^
That's ok in fact tolerate is what I do best
by luckyboy93 rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/18 23:33
Racism exists everywhere, unfortunately. Just ignore people who shun you for your race. There's more good people out there!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/19 00:44
luckyboy93,

I don't get it either.

For one, why haven't you asked this question to your friend that you were visiting? Or if you have, what did he say? Also, since they were already friends of your friend, I doubt it was all about predudice.

Either way, the Japanese in general are very curious about China, in good ways and bad, mainly because they are our neighbors and we have a lot of them here as both immigrants and visitors.

But hey, are you really from the Republic? If so, I'm sure that people there are as interested in Japan, in good ways and bad, as we are for China.

Anyway, I'm most curious about what you said when the man "just sigh for a moment and stare at me angrily." I'm a Japanese around 50 too, if that makes any difference.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/20 14:24
For one, why haven't you asked this question to your friend that you were visiting? Or if you have, what did he say? Also, since they were already friends of your friend, I doubt it was all about predudice.

Well, it was my lat day at that time after the meal I will be leaving to the airport so I didn't get a chance to ask him. Yeah maybe it wasn't all about prejudice and who knows?

BTW I'm not from the republic, I'm a Malaysian Chinese. But I once live in China for a few months because my father had some big project there and you're right they're curious in many different countries including japan.

Anyway, I'm most curious about what you said when the man "just sigh for a moment and stare at me angrily." I'm a Japanese around 50 too, if that makes any difference.

Well not everyone are that way, when my cousin came and visit me in China they we're look down because they can't speak Chinese. Lucky for me I learn Chinese when I'm at the age of 4. But not all look down on them there were few people did not look down on them but kind of admire them because they can speak the international language, of course they did advise them to learn Chinese. So basically not everyone is that way, it all depends on how civilize are they at least that's what I think. (The people I were talking about are the ones who live in the early 90s not the younger generation, for the late 90s they are very civilize because the education is at a much higher standard)

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/21 08:55
did u told him u r msian chinese or just chinese..
coz it can be confusing to them japanese, which is wjy sigh/angry look(confuse look).
thing u need yo know about japamese people os that to them one country one race/look ..
they may not used to the idea of multi-race/culture like msia or spore .
anyway ur naturalised japnese frens also frm msia? did the fren know about ur fren being naturalized jpanese as this may explain a lot about ur friend's friend reaction toward u..
chinese/china been getting bad publiciy on media lately
by multi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/4/21 17:34
luckyboy93,

Thank you for your thorough response. Actually though, what I wanted to know through my last question was this;

You said something to the 50-ish man. Then, hearing what you said, the 50-ish man sighed and stared at you. Am I right?

That means that you said something to make him sigh and stare at you. What did you say?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/5/4 20:11
How about speaking in Japanese? (I mean as a Chinese) what' I said was all about my life when I was in my schooling years along with all my good friends, the mischief things we did the jokes we make

Re: visiting a friend in Japan 2014/5/4 22:40
Hi again,

How about speaking in Japanese?

I'm afraidn I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean you want to correspond in Japanese language with me? 日本語でどうぞ。

what' I said was all about my life when I was in my schooling years along with all my good friends, the mischief things we did the jokes we make

That sounds like things that any Japanese boy would do, or any boy in any country for that matter.

It's natural to assume that the 50-ish man's response was nothing particularly Japanese. For example, if a grown man jokingly says, "I used to throw erasers when my teacher wasn't looking." isn't it natural to repond with a sigh and stare? And in that case, I don't think the sigh and stare is as harmful as the mischeivous jokes.

I hope I'm not missing anything.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread