Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rail/Bus transport advice - Golden Week 2014/4/24 02:35
Hi!
I've planned my itinerary for my upcoming trip, which includes Fujigoko, Hiroshima and Nikko before returning to Tokyo. I will most probably buy the 7 Day Japan Rail pass, but am undecided on

a) which days the pass will most efficiently be used

b) the best way to cover travel costs for the remaining 3-4 days

Itinerary
3-May Arrive at NRT at midday, NRT T1-Gekkouji station in Fujigoko area
4-May Roam around Fujigoko and visit Shibazakura Festival
5-May Late morning travel from Fujigoko area to Himeji
6-May Late evening travel Himeji-Hiroshima
7-May Explore Hiroshima and Miyajima
8-May Daytrip to Kawachi Fuji garden in Kitakyushu
9-May Free day. Is it possible to do Kyushu/Hiroshima-Nikko by overnight train arriving 10 May? Stay in Nikko for 2 nights.
12-May Nikko-Tokyo
13-May Tokyo - Narita Airport T1

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice.
by mizumi1  

Re: Rail/Bus transport advice - Golden Week 2014/4/24 13:23
I am assuming that you are going to do the day trip to Kawachi Fuji Gardens from Hiroshima. You will need to catch the night train from Hiroshima.

To hit the night train from Kyushu, you travel to Okayama where the two Sunrise trains link up. It daparts Okayama at 10:33 PM, and arrives at Tokyo Station at 7:08 AM. You will need to depart Hiroshima at 9:20 PM on the Sakura 572 to make it.

Since you mentioned two flower parks, I was wondering why you are not attending the Flower festival in Hiroshima on May 3rd-5th. This could be your first stop on your trip.

http://visithiroshima.net/things_to_do/seasonal_events/spring/hiroshim...

The Wisteria Tunnels at Kawachi Fuji Gardens are wonderful. I would suggest you use the free shuttle provided by the Hot Strings Spa near the garden, and then visit the hot springs for a bath.

I have not been to the Phlox Festival near Mount Fuji, but to the Chichibu Phlox Festival. Both are near Tokyo. I believe that Chichibu blooms earlier than Lake Motosuko does.

You also might want to go to the Kameido Shrine in Tokyo, which is known for it's Wisteria (Fuji).

http://www.kameidotenjin.or.jp/english/index.html
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Rail/Bus transport advice - Golden Week 2014/4/28 01:02
Thanks ebaychucky311 for your recommendations and info on the Sunrise Trains, I will probably not make it in time for the flower festival in Hiroshima, but will be sure to visit Kameido Shrine.

I'm in two minds about when to activate my JR pass.

Would it be better to activate it on
a) 5 May, valid till 11 May
However, this means that travel from Narita to the Fujigoko area would not be covered, and I will have to buy a one-way ticket from Nikko back to Tokyo. Would the Fujigoko Enjoy Ticket be a good option for the first part of the journey?

or

b) 3 May, valid till 9 May
If i manage to get a reservation on the Sunrise overnight train, this should cover travel till the train stops in Tokyo, then get a JR Kanto Area Pass for the remainder of the trip to Nikko and back to Tokyo.
by mizumi1 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread