Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Rail Pass - worth it for my travel agenda? 2014/4/24 04:46
Hi there,
I was considering getting the JR Rail Pass for my trip in 20 days. Here is where we might be able to use it:

Tokyo - Kyoto, bullet train
Kyoto - Nara, day trip (so round trip)
Kyoto - Shimoda
Shimoda - Tokyo

For airport transfers we plan to book a private car. When I added the cost of purchasing individual tickets for the above travel, it seemed to be less than purchasing the JR Rail Pass. However, I did not add any inter-city travel within Tokyo or Kyoto. My understanding is you really can't use the JR Rail Pass much in and around Kyoto although there did seem to be a route between Kyoto and Nara.

Anyway, I was wondering if I'm mistaken? I want to do whatever is both less money and convenient. If the cost is close, I'd prefer doing the JR Rail Pass so we don't have to constantly purchase tickets. But, if the cost is a bigger difference - like $50 per person - I think we would just pay out of pocket once we get there.

What is your expert opinion? I would appreciate it!
by kvalentini  

Re: JR Rail Pass - worth it for my travel agenda? 2014/4/24 11:43
By JR, the cost of traveling to Nara from Kyoto is 710 yen one way.

However, in calculating savings of JR Pass vs pay-as-you-go, the pay as you go option allows you to use Kintetsu Railway, which is only 620 yen (by rapid express, limited expresses cost more).
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail Pass - worth it for my travel agenda? 2014/4/25 18:30
How many days is your trip?

Japan rail pass is really good if you know how to use it at maximum....
with a 7 day pass you can cover lots of places...it depends on your itenary
by skysurf rate this post as useful

Re: JR Rail Pass - worth it for my travel agenda? 2014/4/26 22:32
How are you going to travel for this itinerary?

Tokyo - Kyoto, bullet train
Kyoto - Nara, day trip (so round trip)
Kyoto - Shimoda
Shimoda - Tokyo

JR pass needs to be used consecutive days. Check www.hyperdia.com for train fare.

http://whenshetravelstheworld.blogspot.sg/2014/04/japan-rail-pass-jr-p...

by wenwen0614 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread