Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 56

1 2 3
next

Japanese Marriage 2014/5/1 22:14
TLDR VERSION: 6 months into a relationship with a Japanese girlfriend in Australia and scared of a possible loveless marriage in the distant future.

I'm posting here after many, many months of researching, asking Japanese friends, and generally finding out as much as I can regarding the marriage between a western man and Japanese wife, or any marriage with a Japanese wife for that matter. For some reason I suspect my post may be deleted (no idea why) but I will hope it will stay up long enough to get some responses.

I am a 26 yr old Australian male, who has been in a 8 month relationship with a 30 yr old Japanese girl from a small country town in southern Japan. We are very much in love and hope to be together for a long time.

Whilst marriage/kids is long way off (at least 5 years), I've become increasingly worried, due to the advice of Japanese friends and internet forums (such as this) about the nature of the relationship after marraige; a.k.a a lack of love/romance/sex.

I come from a very close knit family. My parents are still together and they love each other. It's always been my aim to get the same type of relationship. I am not a guy who thinks sex is the most important thing, but I do agree love/romance/sex is important for a couple. I would be unhappy if my wife stops being romantic. Why am I with a Japanese girl? I love Japan and can speak some of the language, and we met by chance while she was here on a working visa. She is currently in Japan for a month between visa's but will return and live with me, hopefully for a long time depending on our relationship.

Now of course, after learning of the horrid 90% + rate of Japanese girls becoming stale sexless loveless people after marriage/kids - I voiced my concerns straight to my girlfriend, even after only a few months together. She said whilst she definitely doesn't want to go down this path, she has never been married and she states she "doesn't know what will happen".

I'd like to break down my relationship hopes in a list of Profs and Confs and hopefully someone here with experiences (both positive or negative) could provide some insight. I am also aware, whilst itfs very easy to read so many negative stories on the web and wonder where all the positive stories are, the sheer amount of stories plus advice from actual Japanese guys and girls has me very worried.

PROS

• My girlfriend is 30 years old, mature, down to earth, she had good work ethic, but does not have a degree of any sort.
• She wants to live and work in Australia to be with me.
• She loves my family and are envious of their relationships, she said this type of family/relationship is a dream to her. My family likes her.
• She has responded to my worries and says she does not like the gtypical sexless Japanese wifeh way.
• I asked some of her Japanese friends, whilst they recognized 95% of Japanese end up sexless, they stated my girlfriend discussed this with them and agreed she doesnft want to become a loveless/sexless wife.
• She has been a few relationships before in Japan, the longest was a 7 year relationship with a Japanese male. She said she never cheated on him, and they had sex nearly once a day for most of their relationship. They were set to be married but the boyfriend had started to show signs of domestic violence and she decided to end it. She was also expected to become a normal Japanese housewife and stay home all day, she didnft want this, and after leaving, decided to go travelling.
• We met by chance, she didnft seem to be desperate for a boyfriend (a.ka. gaijin hunter)
• Her family (mother/sisters) do like me and I will be meeting them soon in Japan on a holiday
• She thinks I am attractive and tells me a lot. The sex is good (of course after only 6 months). Shefs very affectionate. She says she loves sex and affection and doesnft see why she would stop it. She says I have nothing to worry about.
• We share cooking and cleaning, and I plan to keep that up.
• She says that I should not generalize all Japanese girls with one banner, she says all people are different.
• We donft fight too often but when we do, we seem to some to agreements.
• She seems to honest, and I do trust her.

CONS

• Shefs Japanese.
• Her mother and father are divorced, she told me a few bad stories when she was younger of abuse by her mother. However she and her sisters have lived with her mother since. She rarely contacts her father. I asked her if she hates her father, she says no. She says it was their fault they couldnft make it work and it wasnft her problem. However her mother hates her father. I asked her if she will visit her father while in Japan, she said probably not. Limited contact.
• Very, very early in the relationship (1-2 months), I asked her a hypothetical question that if she had an accidental pregnancy, what would she do. She said she would not tell me and go back to Japan. I was annoyed at this answer and told her why it wasnft a better decision to try and make it work before running away (even though so early in relationship),and she agreed with me. I asked her if she was together with me for a year or 2 what would happen instead, and she said she would stay with me first.
• Before I dated her I asked her if she wanted kids. She said yes, but if she canft get married shefll try to adopt or just have a good life by herself via travelling etc.

Now, I could see how things go for a few years, but ultimately, my only test would be to marry her and see what happens. However if she does turn out to be a typical loveless wife, I donft want to waste 5 years of my life trying to figure it out.

My only options so far are, leave her now and only greive a 8 month relationship. This will be hard for me, as we love each other and breaking up over something that may happen 5-10 years later seems weird.

Or I keep going and see how things go for a while (1-2years). My issues with this, is that we may fall deeper in love and my fears may only come true after marriage/kids.

If anyone has any advice I would be greatly appreciated.
by Everlongdrummer  

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/2 13:00
I for one am Japanese woman, my husband is European. If he ever ever had that kind of worries, he never expressed it. And we are "lovers" to this day (20 years of marriage so far).

It would rather bother me had I come to know, before we got married, that my husband-to-be was reading all those stories and worrying that we would turn out that way only because I am Japanese, and basing his decisions on what he read, rather than on what he felt with me.

It takes two to tango (excuse me for the old saying) but there are reasons behind every couple how that couple turns out over the years, regardless of nationalities.

Just because you fear that because of her nationality and the stereotypes associated with it, which might (or might not) come in the way of "your ideal" family, you are concerned? If you love that woman, marry her and see how things go! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/2 14:57
If you're so unsure, just don't rush, wait 1 or 2 years and you'll have a better perspective.

In a previous relationship, it took me 2.5 years to realize that we weren't right for each another.

Just wait, the answer will present it self.
by Fernando (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/2 20:22
your personality is not suitable for a marriage with a foreign person.
you are not optimistic and you think about too much only from your thoughts. stories from your friends or internet forums contain a bit of truth, but most parts are exaggerated. If you believe these kinds of stories, nothing can be done.
you have been speculated and made stories about marriages and Japanese women from your girlfriend's action and thinking. your girlfriend is very special, far from the standard. In Japan it is very low percentages of divorce and very low percentages of child abuse. you just mix together the stereotype of Japan culture and your girlfriend's special situations, and made your own conclusions.
marriage with a foreign person means that you must think your thoughts and your experiences may not be correct.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/2 22:10
I think this relationship is too risky for you. Japanese females around 30 years old demand to get marry no matter whom you are.
You can be married to the lady but your life will be completely different to negative side later.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/2 22:45
You're asking anonymous people on a travel forum whether or not you should get married? Short answer: NO.
If you're that paranoid about this situation, then this certainly isn't for you. You're still young and you've only been with her for eight months, so don't rush into things you aren't sure about!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/2 23:26
I donft mean to disrespectful anyone in here but last time I check Japan-guide also allow people to ask gLove and Relationsh, this is why he is here. By the way you can say Thank You to King Henry the 8th for allowing people to get divorce :^)

Here a simply answer to your problem you can always love you wife and kids and if your wife is not having sex with you just get yourself a mistress just make sure you dont catch anything and give it to yourself. maybe you can talk to your future wife about having an open relationship. Yeah, yeah, yeah, and people donft cheat, flirt or cyber. Welcome to the new world.

Watch this move call gI Think I Love My Wifeh Chris Rock the main character very funny and shows you both side.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 00:20
I agree with your premise.

Here's the bad news. Based on my experience, and every other story I've read, the drought begins after you have children. So if you are married for 5 years before having children, things might be fine for those 5 years.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 00:43
Just few words to topic starter
Your logic will serve you well I Am sure in many ways
But its a bit a way of zombi to my humble opinion, these calcalations
If I would really LOVE the person (which means he/she means more than a world to you, a Universe) such fantasies about distant future would never visit my brain

Very very down to earth) But I guess...everyone is different.
by Riokka rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 01:12
You are obviously not that into her, otherwise you wouldn't have been paranoid about your relationship with her.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 01:13
Just so everyone knows I don't plan to marry her for a few years and she hasn't asked to marry or anything.

I had another talk with my girlfriend about this. She mentioned even her sister has reduced sex down to a few times a year with her J-husband of 4 years, and said that's why she doesn't want to marry a J guy. I used this as proof as to why she will do the same. She got upset and said her personality is nothing like her sisters or family, she loves sex/love too much and doesn't see herself giving it up.

Whilst girls can be manipulative, she did seem pretty genuine in this case. I think I should trust my girlfriends actions and see how it goes for a couple of years.
by Everlongdrummer rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 01:25
Everlongdrummer,

Sorry to say this, but, your girlfriend should be the one dumping you.
She deserves someone much better than you. Someone who will love and appreciate her just the way she is, without trying to change her.
You sound like a guy who is a PITA!
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 01:42
Yo Mr. , but stop being paranoid. If you love a person, be together and stop questioning the future about what will become what. I would be irritated and break off with you for being like that. Stop assuming she will necome what you've read and heard from other people. You shouldn't get married at all if you think it's a waste of time if she did become that in the future. No offense, but maybe she needs someone who's more considerate of her feelings than to jump at her with this nonsense. What if she kept questioning that you're a cheater everyday because that's what she heard and read about foriegn mens? How would you feel to be nagged all the time about it?
by kiki (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 01:59
Honestly speaking I totally understand the posters concerns and don`t agree with people saying she should be the one leaving him
He was clear enough about the fact he is not going to marry her soon and will take some time.
I am myself in a relationship with a japanese guy and have Japanese female friends who report that after marriage sex life is almost gone.
One female said she did it once in seven years marriage and others do admit that routine, children decreases sex libido a lot.
I am not Japanese but can understand where this is coming from.
So let`s not be hypocrit, we all know everyone is different and there is no apparent reason not to trust his girlfriend, but the topic he raised is silently accepted in Japan as a norm.
by hello (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 02:14
Wow, a lot of negative people here.

I think you are right to analyze your situation rationally. Hopefully you are passionate as well.

Some advice though - stop harassing your girlfriend. You can't control how she and you will change in the future. Just assess the risk and decide what is right for you.
by ChicagoMike rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 02:56
30yr old... 1 strike
One parent(divorced)... 2 strike
Abused by her mother... omg 3 strike!

She is completely OUT in the collective society like Japan IMO. You should marry her in Australia.

"No merchandise can be returned."
by lvl80paladin rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 02:58
I agree with some who said you are not ready if you have this many things to list for pros and cons. I am 47 years old living in the USA and have been married for 17 years. I am not denying that sex/romance is always important, but at least to me I look at my wife as a person who has built what I/we have today for the last 17 years with me, rather than someone that I would look for any sex/romance. I guess what I am trying to say is now my relationship with my wife is based on a respect rather than asking something from her. So, to me, you seem to be just scared of unknowns and unsure of yourself. Even I don't know what will happen in my future with my wife, but I think as long as I remember that I don't want to hurt her, I think my life will continue with her for a long time.
by mklarc13 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 03:53
Everlongdrummer,

I am glad you posted this topic. This is something I am concerned as well. I am American and I am in relationship with Japanese girl for a year. I am 25 and she is 29. I love her to death but I am also concern because of this. I talked to her about this and she said that she doesn't like Japanese marriage culture where it sexless and no affectionate from husband. She love Western culture where family show alot of emotional and physical affectionate. She want to continue feeling romantic from her future husband. People in this forum who commented negative about you doesn't realize about Japanese society. I don't care if they felt it stereotype but that is the truth. They don't realize that high percentage in Japan is that during relationship before marriage, they are very happy, very romantic, have sex every week until after they get married, things changed. Mostly it start after having children, married couple are decreasing sex and physical romantic. Japanese wife denied the love affection and sexual from her wonderful husband. There is nothing wrong with her husband and her husband have good financially responsible, help clean the house, spend time with children and his wife, and giving his best to give his wife attention even she denied it. It doesn't make any sense at all. I understand that women libido are decreasing after having children but that doesn't mean they should stop. One of example from true story that Western man met a Japanese woman and fall in love each other. She told him the same as Everylongdrummer girlfriend told him about doesn't like sexless and no physical romantic after married. After they got married, it turned out the opposite from what she said and their marriage relationship is disaster even her husband is trying his best. That is what I am concerned about. Their relationship should always continue to grow physical and emotional support even during marriage.
by AdventureGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 03:54
mklarc13-Totally agree with you. A great relationship is built on love, respect and commitment to each other, not on how much sex a person can get out of each other. There are ways to keep the relationship sexy.

hello (guest)- Libido does not decrease with having children. Maybe a woman can feel tired but she will still have desire. A good man will find ways to help her rest and to feel sexy. My friends whose marriages have become less intimate say their husbands are too busy or too tired. I am married and still find my husband sexy. We sometimes have quiet evenings like dating together to keep our relationship closer.

OP- If you love your gf, stop dwelling on the sex. Who knows what happens in life. You could be struck with illness and have no desire or ability for sex, then your gf may accept you anyways if she loves you. You say youy love each other. Then stop thinking about what ifs. Life is a journey, either you make it together with her or not. It is not a destination to sex.
by hirosumi rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Marriage 2014/5/3 09:34
(1) "By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy;
if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

(2) "Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment." unknown

(3) Read Giacomo Puccinifs Madama Butterfly
Cio-Cio-San, or Butterfly, the young Japanese girl who naively weds Pinkerton, an American caddish officer in early-19th century Nagasaki.
by Yet Another (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 56

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread