Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Perfect day trip to Naoshima 2014/5/13 22:34
I am planning a day trip from Okayama to Naoshima next June. Would you suggest me please some tips to make this day trip perfect? Which port i have to chose? Miyanoura or Honmura? Have to rent a bike of there are buses to go round on the island? Any idea about a decent restaurants? Any other idea? Thanks on advance.
by computerise (guest)  

Re: Perfect day trip to Naoshima 2014/5/14 08:30
Which port i have to chose?

None. It is up to you. You can also use both. Miyanoura has more connections than Honmura.

Have to rent a bike of there are buses to go round on the island?

The basics are explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5476.html?aFROM=5475_5700

Any idea about a decent restaurants?

The Umi no Hoshi at the Benesse House is very nice:
http://www.benesse-artsite.jp/en/benessehouse/restaurant_cafe.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Perfect day trip to Naoshima 2014/5/14 10:19
I went to Naoshima on a daytrip, so you can read everything about it here: http://zoomingjapan.com/travel/naoshima-art-island/

Most people get off at Miyanoura Port. A rental bicycle is a great way to explore the island!

If you go on the weekend, come as early as possible or there won't be any bikes available anymore.

If you like cats, there's a cat café called "Nyaoshima" where you can also eat lunch. :)
by zoomingjapan rate this post as useful

Re: Perfect day trip to Naoshima 2014/5/14 13:41
I think the bike rental is the best way to see the island if you don't mind biking. There are buses if you can't or don't like to bike, but relying on them could slow you down.

For the perfect trip, I'd also suggest going on a weekday to avoid crowds and lines as much as possible, which can slow you down.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Perfect day trip to Naoshima 2014/5/14 18:06
Naoshima in a day will be rushed, but it's a fantastic place. The Benessa/Naoshima website always used to have example itineraries for day visitors and for those planning to spend a day and a night, so you could maybe look there for ideas as well.

The main sites are around Benesse Museum and Honmura Port, so if it suits you to sail into Honmura then you save a little time that way. On the other hand, buses generally meet the ferries so you can sail into Miyanoura and catch a bus straight over to Honmura. Bicycles can be good, but if you keep the bus timetable in mind it can be just as quick using the bus.

Essentially, if you're going to catch an early ferry onto the island and a late ferry off the island then you'll have time to spend 3 or 4 hours in Honmura and about the same length of time at Benesse/Chichu. There's so much amazing art to see that I'd forget about nice restaurants and either take a picnic with me (e.g. there's a combini just outside Uno Port JR station which you pass as you walk to the ferry), or have a quick bowl of noodles in Honmura. The café at Chichu and the restaurants at Benesse are great, but you have to consider whether you've got time for a leisurely lunch or not.

Unless tickets to Chichu and Benesse are timed (I think this only applies in the Bienniale, but can't remember), and/or unless you're going to arrive just as the Chichu and Benesse museums are opening, I'd go to Honmura first and try to be the first people in line for Minamidera, which is a wonderful experience. If you arrive before it opens, then you can visit the outdoor site which is in the form of a shrine.

The other art houses are also worth a visit, as is the Ando Museum, but after experiencing Minamidera I'd recommend that you consider whether you have time to see all of the other art houses as well as the Ando Museum.

This is because I'd say that you absolutely must make the Chichu the top priority of your visit, and must also leave a good amount of time for Benesse Museum as well. My personal view is that the Lee Ufan museum isn't anywhere near as interesting, and I'd happily miss that out if I only had a day.
I'll bet that you end up wanting to visit again, and to stay for longer than a day.

Remember that the journey to Uno Port from Okayama is around an hour, sometimes having to make a change of trains. The walk from the JR station to the ferry terminal at Uno is just a few hundred yards.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread