Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama Day Trip 2014/5/18 04:42
Hi,

I'm planning a day trip to Arashiyama, planning to start at Saga-Arashiyama Station at 9am.

I've used based my plan around www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_arashiyama_full.html

mainly:

Monkey Park (Iwatayama)
Tenryuji Temple
Bamboo Grove
Jojakkoji
Gioji
Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street
Adashino Nenbutsuji Temple
Otagi Nenbutsuji

Is this achievable to do 9am-5pm given that we'll be doing this on foot or shall I avoid going to the monkey park altogether?

We're a young couple; whilst the walking distance isn't disheartening we don't like to rush from one place to another and take in the sights and sounds of the places we're at.

Is it too much? And if you think this is manageable, how long does a visit to the monkey park takes? I've read that it takes around 20minutes to walk up the steep hill, so 60-90 minutes in total?

Thanks!
by wzrd83  

Re: Arashiyama Day Trip 2014/6/3 16:31
When I was last there with a couple fellow young and active travelers with fast paces, I think we fit in the following:

Monkey Park (Iwatayama)
Tenryuji Temple
Bamboo Grove
Saga-Toriimoto Preserved Street

We got there late morning and had a leisurely lunch before marching on, and although it felt somewhat late by the tiem we took the train out. That was at a semi-relaxed pace (though others might find it fast) so we could enjoy everything we went to, and not feel too rushed if we stopped at a gift shop or took a break for ice cream. 60~90 is probably a good estimate for the monkey park. If you get there by 9am, you could probably fit an extra temple or two in.
by Buri0110 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama Day Trip 2014/6/3 17:25
I didnt go to the monkey park, but went for the Romantic train. i'd say you'll be able to cram everything in if you cut your lunch short n simple.
The bamboo shoot path isnt a ticketed area, so you are free to go there at any time (even as early as 8)
by ejump0 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread