Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 year LDR family's disapproval of Japan 2014/6/7 16:31
I been with my boyfriend for 2 years now. I met him in Japan when I did a short study abroad and we really got a long and he asked to be my boyfriend. I visited him again in winter and did a 4 month study abroad last year. He is coming this month to visit me and meet my family for the first time. When I am with him I feel most happy. I really want to see him and be with him, but my sister especially seems to have been against our relationship since the start.

When I originally came home from Japan after meeting him she told my parents I did bad things and was really cruel to me and said he he was only using me. She soon got a boyfriend of her own after and since then they have both been telling me how to live my life and how I shouldn't go to Japan or be with my boyfriend (when I was going to study abroad).

Recently she sent my boyfriend a message that really upset me. She has never talked to him before and the first thing she says to him is that I am refusing a job offer because I want to be with him and go to Japan and how I cry and whine about being with him. However, she was wrong, because I wasn't refusing the offer and actually accepted it. I barely talk to my sister about my relationship with him because she always has negative things to say about me and him. The first year when she was cruel to me I did cry a lot but it was because I missed him and she had hurt me so badly by how she pushed me away and said hateful things. She also has repetitively wished ill of me and our relationship.

I am really worried what my boyfriend thinks of her message. He didn't tell me about it. And I feel in Japan no one would write such a message to someone's boyfriend. :(

My major was art focusing on illustration. I minored in Japanese and I hope to at least be able to pass the N3 in December. My Japanese has gotten rusty in the last half year and I need to review and I know I am not as good as any of my boyfriend's foreign friends. I accepted a job as an illustrator for a video game company. However, I still want to learn more Japanese and maybe even eventually work in Japan. I had applied to a study abroad but am still awaiting if I would even get financial aid.

All my so called friends and family in America are very against my interest in Japan. I found out recently they are been talking behind my back about me and how I am "dumb" and that my best friend approved what my sister said to my boyfriend which really hurt me. Because I thought it was a horrible email, blaming him for everything. They say it is only because of my boyfriend that I want to go to Japan. however, I almost changed my major to Japanese before I even met him so I have had this internal conflict for a long time. I really love Japan and would like to live there for more than 1/2 a year.

I applied to some ALT jobs but didn't pass the phone interviews. My boyfriend tells me he wants me to work in America for now and gain work experience, improve my japanese, and if I want to apply to Japanese companies (there are companies that operate in english for animation and games). he is still in school even though he is older than me and he never talks about future of us so sometimes I wonder. but then I think he also is worried about me and wants me to do what I want to do and not force anything.
by Yamilluvia  

Re: 2 year LDR family's disapproval of Japan 2014/6/7 19:36
In my view there are two possible reasons for this situation:
the first is that you come from a quite conservative and traditionally minded surrounding, and the people who love you just cannot understand why you would want such a different life.
The other is that there is something a bit "unhealthy" about this relationship, that we can not know from a single post obviously, but that worries your family and friend.

Either ways though, in my experience trying to talk somebody out of a relationship is a complete waist of time, if it doesn't get the opposite effect to make the relationship stronger. So in the end just do what you feel it's right for you, and if it is a mistake you will see when the time is right for you to see it, if it's not, your family will eventually accept your choice...

The one thing that didn't sound quite right to me is that you are planning to move to Japan while your boyfriend is actually not making plans for the future with you. I also recently had to decide if moving to Japan was the right thing to do (it was, I will move in a few weeks!!), and I really really wanted to go, but I waited until my boyfriend gave me a big signal that he WANTED me there. If you are going for him, my advice is don't go until it is a shared plan, or you might end up resenting him or wondering if he wanted you as much as you wanted him.

Good luck!!
by Brida rate this post as useful

Re: 2 year LDR family's disapproval of Japan 2014/6/7 19:48
I don't know you and your family but there are some reasons they don't want you to have this relationship:
1) they don't know him much (the fact that you don't talk much about him doesn't help) so they're trying to protect you because they fear he's not a good guy
2) they don't want you to go away (even if they wouldn't say it) so they're trying to make the relationship fail
3) the don't really like Japan/foreign countries and are somehow trying to change your mind about Japan
NB: since you chose to go in Japan before you met him saying you're interested in Japan because of him is just plainly dishonest from them and a way to justify themselves

If you want to move to Japan, I think it's good but you need to know if you're moving because of him or because you want to live in Japan. If you're only moving because of him (and that's probably how he thinks you feel) I don't think it's a good idea. You can't be sure the relationship would work out in the first place.
I would advise you to only go if even if you weren't with him you think you'd enjoy living there.
by meneldal rate this post as useful

Re: 2 year LDR family's disapproval of Japan 2014/6/7 21:59
Well, I haven't been trying to move. I mostly just tried to see if I could studying abroad for 3 months and take the JLPT. I tried to do Interac and other teaching jobs because I also wasn't having any luck at all with jobs here. The only reason I got this one is because I know someone who works there.

My sister has been against my relationship from the start. Originally everyone in my family was. Though my mom and dad are okay now. I do talk about him and what he is doing. Though I have stopped telling my sister a lot of things in general like job stuff. Like I can't believe she messaged him that I wasn't taking a job because of him when I was first worrying about if I even have an apartment, are they giving me a real job or internship, etc.
by Yamilluvia rate this post as useful

Re: 2 year LDR family's disapproval of Japan 2014/6/7 23:27
sisters and brothers in a family are close friends each other, and also they are competitors each other sometimes.
competitions may have started from how to attract the parents interests. sometimes it may come from jealousy against you.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread