Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kaiseki in Kyoto 2014/6/7 18:13
Hi all,

My partner and I will be in Kyoto in October and I would really like the experience of traditional kaiseki (although we'll probably go for lunch rather than dinner.)

I'm in charge of organising our trip but unfortunately I have problems with anxiety and find it very difficult to make phone reservations. I remember a while ago I saw a website for a restaurant that allowed online reservations. This website was in English as well as the normal Japanese website and had private rooms.

Does anyone have any ideas as to which restaurant this place might be? Or are there any other suggestions for Kaiseki that can be reserved online.

Thanks for any responses.
by chasingme  

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto 2014/6/8 10:25
Firstly,
There are too many websites on the internet.

Secondly,
Booking is very simple. I called a Kyoto restaurant up once. And I just repeated whatever Google Translate, translated for me.

"Hello. I would like to make a reservation. XX persons, XX day, XX time, XX name, XX phone number"

If you hear a "hai" you are safe. Anyway, most Japanese restaurants in Kyoto have some form of English.

But to be safe call the Hotel built atop Kyoto station. There is a reason why it is a top of a train station; the believe their service is good enough. So believe them and eat at their restaurant. Probably one of the most if not the most expensive Kaiseki though. Great none the less
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto 2014/6/8 19:28
Joshua Hugh,
- no, booking in Japanese isn't "simple" if you don't speak the language, and especially if you don't have a local phone number to give the restaurant
- no, you're not "safe" if you hear them say "hai"
- yes, "there is a reason" that the Hotel Granvia on top of Kyoto station is located there - it's owned and run by the train company
- no, dinner at the branch of Kitcho in the Granvia starts at around Y10,000, not even in the same ballpark as the Y40,000 price tag at the most expensive places in town

Nonetheless Kitcho in the Granvia might be a good suggestion for OP, since it's easy to find and they're sure to speak English. 075-342-0808 is their phone number.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto 2014/6/10 10:19
You haven't thought about staying the night in a ryokan and having it as part of the stay plan? It is expensive, but really if you work on say $130 a head being for food (dinner and breakfast), then the cost is more bearable. We had Kaiseki 5 nights out of 6 in our recent trip, which is a record for us, but luckily a lot of it was vegetables, at Kamikouchi at least.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto 2014/6/10 12:28
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all the responses. I did eventually find the website I was looking for after going through my browser history from a couple of months ago. If anyone was interested, I was looking for Gion Nanba which is a Michelin star rated place (as the name suggests) in Gion.

Despite that, it was really helpful to hear that making bookings is relatively easy over the phone. Hopefully in the near future I will be comfortable enough using a phone to use your advice.

We are staying in a ryokan with kaiseki meals in Miyajima but, call me silly, I really wanted to try some in Kyoto (seeing as Kyoto style is meant to be the be all and end all)and our budget didn't allow us to stay in a ryokan for the length of time we will be in Kyoto.

Thanks again everyone!

by chasingme rate this post as useful

Re: Kaiseki in Kyoto 2014/6/14 00:17
check out
Hiranoya - ARASHIYAMA - ryokan serve full kaiseki meal& matcha tea JPY15,840 per person.

Pontocho /Kibune - Kawayuka is interesting if you travel before october
price start from JPY10,000@
by tjh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread