Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan for 30 to 45 days 2014/6/29 23:14
Is one month enough to see Japan for the first time? My plan would be Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Sapporo, Hakodate, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyazaki, Yamaguchi, and Kanazawa. This would be my first time in Japan, and I would like to see as much as possible. I was thinking two to three days in each city.
by JP2014  

Re: Japan for 30 to 45 days 2014/6/30 13:37
Is one month enough to see Japan for the first time?

My first trip was about a week!
But yes, it is enough.
You can do Hokkaido namely Sapporo and Hakodate in 5 days. But if you wish to see the majestic views of Hokkaido add in a day or two for Furano/Lake Toya/Daisetsuzan.

If you like shopping or just seeing the innovative inventions of the Japanese, you can spend weeks in Tokyo. But for a first timer, 4 days of seeing sights and seeing shops is good enough.

I can spend weeks in Kyoto. But 3 days is enough if you rush. If you want to do a day trip to Nara or Uji or Ise; it is better to add extra days. Kyoto should be seen in itself.

Nagoya is non bustling large city. A change of pace to Osaka and Tokyo. But with regards to sights, 2 days is enough (or maybe just 1) Personally liked the science museum.

Kanazawa is a historic town. Yet with much modern art pieces. Just exiting the trains station and red beams greet you. The food here is simply amazing. From simple curry to extravagant Wagyu Beef, everything is a grade above. And the prices are low too. And don't get me started on the numerous hot springs in the region.
If you however, have no interest in modern art or gardens/castles then this place isn't for you. Possible day trips are to Noto Peninsular. Possible lodging Lamp no Yado.

Hiroshima needs no more than 3 days.

Miyazaki: Never been
Yamaguchi: Never been

My plan would be Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Sapporo, Hakodate, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyazaki, Yamaguchi, and Kanazawa. This would be my first time in Japan, and I would like to see as much as possible. I was thinking two to three days in each city.

Day 1: Tokyo arrive
Light shopping with night at Shinjuku/Shibuya
Rest from Jet Lag
Day 2: Sensoji/Sky Tree/Ueno museums
Day 3: Meiji Shrine/Harajuku/Some trendy cafe
Day 4: Day trip to Nagano or more shopping
Take the overnight train from Tokyo to Sapporo.
Day 5
Rent a car. (Hokkaido is not known for public transport)
Drive to the sights listed in Japan Guide.
Day 6
More sights of Sapporo
Drive to Otaru
If early summer, drive to Furano
If late summer, drive to Lake Toya
If autumn, drive to Daisetuzan
If any season, drive to Sounkyo Gorge/Noboribetsu Onsen
Night at the above location
Day 7
Spend a day at the location
(If you are at Daisetsuzan or Furano, you might need an extra day)
Drive to Hakodate
See the night view atop the mountain
Return the car
Day 8
Day trip to the lake north of Hakodate or head south to Matsue for the castle
Day 9
Go to the fish market in the morning
Walk around town. Most sights are within 10 minutes of each other.
Sample the cheesecake at the red brick warehouse.
Take a domestic flight to Miyazaki
Day 10 & 11
Go sight see the beaches and coastal roads
See attractions
Try local food: fried chicken with tartar/mayonaise
Local produce: Wagyu and Unagi (eel)
Day 12 & 13 & 14
Break point of trip
Relax time!
Highway bus to Kagoshima
Try local food: Chicken Sashimi
Home to many hot springs
Day trip to Ibusuki for sand bath and to Kii-Kirishima for mud bath.
Day 15
Take train from Kagoshima Chuo to Kumamoto
See the castle and garden
Take bus to Aso
See crater
Bus and night at Kurokawa Osen
Day 16
Take bus to Beppu
See the hell valley and try the hot spring food
Take a coach (part way coach gets on ferry) to Hiroshima
Day 17 to 19
Hiroshima & Miyajima
Try to have a night at both cities
Local food: Okonomiyaki
Day 20
Train to Okayama
Spend 2 hours at the garden
Spend 20 minutes at the small castle
Take the cute boat that goes round the garden
Train to Osaka
Day 21 to 22
Eat and shop like there is no tomorrow
Day 23
About 3pm rent a car and head to Mount Koya
Stay at a temple lodge
Day 24
Go to Yunomine Onsen
The only UNESCO onsen
Water changes 7 times a day
Explore the small historical town
Day 25
Head to Kii-Katsura
Nearby is Japanese tallest waterfall, Nachi no Taki
With tall cedar trees lining the walkway
Scenic sight
Nearby Hotel, Urashima Hotel is famed for having a cave bath overlooking the sea. And an onsen that is more than 30 floors high, overlooking the city and the pacific as you waddle into the bath.
Day 26
Now go to Ise
Home of Japan's most sacred shrine
Spend the evening at Uji
The river walk lights up. Especially along the shrines
Uji is known for three things.
Green Tea, the temple on the 10 yen coin, and the large river bustling through.
Day 27 to 31
Drop car at Kyoto
Local food: Kaiseki Ryori and Yudo Tofu
Google Izuju Sushi
Kyoto all the way
Possible side trip to Nara
Day 32 to 34
Limited express train to Kanazawa
As said above
Day 35
Limited express train to Nagoya
Another day of relaxation at this happy city
Nothing much besides chilling here. Tokyo had the shopping, Osaka the food, Kyoto the architecture.
Nagoya the peace.
Day 36 to 37
Mount Fuji
Day 38
Back to Tokyo
From here you can go to Yamaguchi

If you can't drive skip the days 23 to 26, do not take the coach from Beppu to Hiroshima, instead on the day at Kumamoto use a west Japan pass: after the trip to Mount Aso head back to Kumamoto and from there Shinkansen to Fukuoka.
Have dinner while exploring the Yatai Stands.
Train to Hiroshima (2 days here)
Train to Osaka (2 days here)
Train to Kyoto (2 days here), night train to Kanazawa
If you can afford the 14 day train pass, than you could spend more time exploring other regions.

If you cannot drive in Hokkaido, you might want to skip it altogether, or go on a 7 day tour of Hokkaido than do a free and easy for the rest of the trip.
If you think you can handle the 2 to 3 hour train rides on non-shinkansen then there is no issue.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Japan for 30 to 45 days 2014/6/30 23:19
I did 7 weeks last Summer, and will soon be back for a full year : ). I guess the minimum amount of time is pretty much: how much time do you have?

But in all seriousness, it definitely is enough time, it also very much depends on:

- how much you already know: knowing more about the culture will allow you to appreciate things more, and lessen culture-shock.
- what you're interested in: personally I prefer getting off the beaten track and seeing smaller cities, as well as going places where you can interact with the people, not so much as a tourist but as a person.
- how much Japanese you can speak: especially if you want to get off the beaten track, being able to at least ask for directions and understand the answers (which can sometimes be a tad complicated) is super helpful. I didn't know much more than that though.
- When you're going: while planning the itinerary I would very much consider what events are happening where! Also, in fall of course you should consider going somewhere with beautiful fall-scenery.

If you're reasonably confident in your communication skills, I recommend focusing on maybe a bit fewer major cities and going to a few more "small" destinations. Imho, if you don't really take the time to get to know a region and it's people, there won't be *that* big a difference between cities as far apart as Sapporo or Tokyo or Hiroshima. (Then again maybe I'm just a little thick...)

Also, if you're planning on staying so long you'll probably want to plan well how you will travel in this time: unless you're filthy rich, if you just zip from one major-city to the next on a shinkansen it can get very expensive very fast.

A few "off the beaten trail" (at least somewhat) destinations that are near the "major" destinations you listed:
- since you plan on passing through the northern coast to get to Kanazawa, I recommend also the Kiso-Valley trail between Magome and Tsumago.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6076.html

- Near Hiroshima is a town called Onomichi: aside from delicious food (which, let's face it, is pervasive of all of Japan...), Onomichi has very very many temples, some not too big, and some tiny. You can enjoy a beautiful walk around there, and then rent a bicycle and cycle down the Shimanami Kaido bike-way, a series a bridges that connects the main Honshu island with the Shikoku island, hopping across a series of small islands. Beware that September-October is typhoon season, and if July-August it is sweltering hot. We went early August and it was great, but make sure you bring enough to drink. Also, I recommend there the hostel "Anago".
http://wikitravel.org/en/Shimanami_Kaido_Bikeway

In the Nagano area, Matsumoto is a very nice small city.

Since you want to go to Hokkaido, I highly recommend going by ferry: though it is somewhat slow (generally takes up the whole day), it is a really nice experience (as well as quite cheap): we had a sento (public bath) onboard, and you could relax in the hot-tub while watching the coast gently go rolling by. Also you will usually arrive at a small port town (we arrived at Otaru, leaving from Niigata) at the crack of dawn, the perfect time to go to the local fish market and get breakfast of the freshet sashimi possible!
by dokobot rate this post as useful

Re: Japan for 30 to 45 days 2014/7/1 03:06
Which airports can you choose (for your international flights) among Narita [NRT], Haneda [HND], Central Japan [NGO, Centrair], Kansai [KIX] and Fukuoka [FUK]?

My plan would be Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, Sapporo, Hakodate, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyazaki, Yamaguchi, and Kanazawa

This combination sounds to me unique, though this order is not recommendable because it requires you to detour, at least twice.
Wonft you visit places in Tohoku Region?
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1102.html

Anyway, you had better locate places to visit more in detail.
Tokyo Metropolis has many urban areas.
"Kyoto" / "Osaka" / "Hiroshima" / "Miyazaki" / "Yamaguchi" is also a name of a prefecture, not only a name of a city there.
A destination which you believe to be in a certain city may actually be in another part of the prefecture or in a neighboring prefecture, which may result in expecting a wrong route.

I recommend you would check your destinations more precisely, for example by reading articles in "Travel" section of this website, then locate them on a reliable map of Japan so that you can overview this long journey.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread