Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How would you know? 2014/7/1 02:04
How would you know if a japanese man really likes you?

I have a Japanese boyfriend for more than 1 year now. We see and spend time together every weekend to catch up, watch movies and dine together, and that's just it. We live just a few blocks away from each other and work in the same city but we don't really spend too much time together during the weekdays as we both have our own lives when it comes to work. He is always occupied with work and I am too but a day has never passed without me thinking how he's doing, but I don't really ask that often because i don't want to appear like i'm clingy so I just wait for our time together(weekends) before i ask. We do stuff that are normal to adults who are in a relationship but he doesn't really tell me that he likes me or that he loves me. The farthest that he can say is just "i miss you" and i only get that when i say it first. I have always wanted to ask him if he loves me but i feel too coward that i might scare him away if i do ask him. I am new to this kind of relationship and i don't know if being vocal is not just really common for Japanese men.
by Marielle0612  

Re: How would you know? 2014/7/1 14:02
I have asked same thing to my japanese friends (girls). They said that both japanese guys and girls seldom say "love" to their partner because they are shy. They said, they say it during special days only like anniversary.

My nihongo sensei told me her husband only told her I love you once.

I think not saying love for japanese is just normal for them. They aren't that much expressive as well. (I am pertaining to Japanese I have come to know. I am not generalizing) :)

But maybe Japanese attitude changes when they were partnered with foreigner. Little by little they change and become expressive somehow. The japanese husband of my friend even make posts in facebook expressing his love for her.

My Japanese ex-boyfriend also seldom say it, but I always asked him during text or call. He got used to it that he was already the one initiating for us to say it before ending a call or text conversation.
by arken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How would you know? 2014/7/1 14:51
Hi arken! Thanks. I guess I just really have to remind myself that he is not really vocal & expressive. I just have to be thankful that even if we have differences, we still jive about other things and compromise when necessary. I just hope that our relationship lasts longer & hopefully end up building our own family together. He is in mid 30s now while I am turning 28 this year, but I think he's nowhere near that idea yet despite of the age. Sometimes I just can't help but worry that I might only be wasting time with him -- and maybe this idea is only brought by the thought that he doesn't really tell me his emotions towards me. But again, given the facts that you mentioned, i must admit that it's probably of their nature and I just have to get used to it. :)
by Marielle0612 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread