Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokan or Regular Hotel? 2014/7/1 12:25
I'm interested in staying at a nice ryokan in Kyoto for 1 night but from what I gather they appear more for couples? I'm going to vacation in Japan alone this year but it seems "corny" to stay somewhere that's meant for couples. Do a lot of solo travelers stay at a ryokan or will I come across as weird?

I'll be sight seeing in Kyoto, spend the night and go back to Tokyo the next afternoon. I don't mind staying at a regular hotel it'll be cheaper. If others have alternatives or opinion I welcome it.
by supermarshall  

Re: Ryokan or Regular Hotel? 2014/7/1 14:47
I was travelling with 5 other guys, and we stayed at a Ryokan too : ).

If you enjoy traditional culture, it is very nice and worth it. I would definitely do it at least once. After that, it does tend to be a bit expensive... so it may be more worth it to go to a really nice Ryokan for 1 night and then stay a hotels the rest of the time. Also, consider that the location is a big part of the Ryokan: if you go somewhere more remote with hot-springs it will be different from a Ryokan in the middle of a city. I don't know how the ones in Kyoto are, but some of my friends stayed at a "ryokan" in Tokyo which was actually pretty much just a regular hotel, but more spacious. (In my book, it's a ryokan if it's traditional, with shoji etc., and serve you kaiseki dinner.)

Also, consider Minshukus or guest houses. In Kyoto specifically, I recommend this place:
http://www.guesthouse-bon.com/e-index.html
It's not a Ryokan, but it has a traditional feel and the host is suuuper nice.
by dokobot rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan or Regular Hotel? 2014/7/1 14:55
have you considered a capsule hotel?

if it is 1 niight, you might want to stay at internet cafe and hire some paid locker for a day.

I am going to Japan this year to study. My friend over there (osaka) alwayd do this whenever they visit kyoto/tokyo
by NoobGaijin rate this post as useful

Re: Ryokan or Regular Hotel? 2014/7/1 16:06
"Ryokan" are not just for couples, but there may be some places that have a rather high rate for single occupancy, particularly those that come to your room to serve you dinner. Other places where the guests go to the central dining room tend to be fine with single travelers.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread