Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/23 20:54
Hello,

I am going to travel to Japan next month, but not sure if I can use USD there. Since I don't want to bring a lot of cash, may I use US credit card in store and restaurant? OR can I exchange USD (from credit card) to Japanese yen via ATM? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
by yyangcs  

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 08:37
Nope, but you can easily exchange USD at the airport.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 08:41
I guess the previous poster didn't read the whole question.

I am going to travel to Japan next month, but not sure if I can use USD there.

Cash no.

Since I don't want to bring a lot of cash, may I use US credit card in store and restaurant?

Yes, most large or chain stores or restaurants accept credit cards. It's one of the best ways to pay since you get really good rates, especially if you use a travel friendly credit card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. If you are able you may want to get one of those for your trip.

OR can I exchange USD (from credit card) to Japanese yen via ATM?

Yes, but it may be cheaper to withdraw directly from your USD bank account via postal or 7-11 atms. You'll have to check the relevant rates that your bank charges.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 11:16
I think the only country that legally has to take USD is Ecuador. I've never heard of any other country allowing USD as payment, unless it's unofficial....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 15:17
If you visit the smaller, a little grubby restaurants with lots of atmosphere (which I would very much recommend for a nice change to the chain restaurants) be prepared that they almost exclusive are cash, JPY, only.
by Hoshisato rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 15:39
There are several places in Japan where you can legally use USD without any problem:
US military bases. Of course not everyone have access to them, stuff sold there is same one you have in USA...great huh?

Once off base, people use Yen, they have to change money if the want to drink something in Roppongi or buy soda from vending machines.

I don't understand people who think US dollar is universal and accepted by everyone, everywhere...

I remember few years ago in Yurakucho, at Sofmap there was a US couple who wanted to buy a video game console and insisted like crazy to use dollar although the cashier where showing them the little notice stating in English "we only accept japanese yen".

It lasted something like 20 or 30 minutes and they failed to understand why the Japanese cashier did not accept their dollars...never got their console.
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 17:04
Be nicer to Americans..some don't travel very much.
I live in Vancouver (the one in Canada) and some American tourists expect to use US dollars.
There are stores and restaurants owners that don't mind at all..They just charge them a hefty fee and use these US $ whenever they go shopping in the US.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can I use USD in Japan? 2014/7/24 17:08
I don't understand people who think US dollar is universal and accepted by everyone, everywhere...

You don't see this too often, but people can be pretty oblivious. It doesn't help that the USD is widely used as a de facto currency in many countries, giving some weight behind the misconception that you can use it anywhere.

To be fair, the OP didn't exactly come in with this misconception, but instead inquired about credit card usage and currency exchange.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread