Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass 2014/7/24 11:50
Hi I will be travelling Japan this Dec and I plan to travel
Tokyo --- 4days
Osaka --- 4days
Fukuoka --- 4days

May I know if I purchase a 14days JR pass, will it cover all the above area?
by jenny (guest)  

Re: JR pass 2014/7/24 12:10
It will cover all JR trains (except the quickest of shinkansen) in Japan.

But you're buying a pass you may not use to its full potential. You may be paying too much. You need to give us more info, such as your entry and exit points to Japan, how many side trips you're doing, etc.

Use http://www.hyperdia.com to add up all your long-range trips to see if it's worth getting a 14 day pass for your 12 day trip.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass 2014/7/24 13:12
Hi John,

Thank you.
Now I'm a little confuse as you mentioned it did not cover Shinkansen ???
Below is a brief list of my travel, I hope you can assist me on what pass to purchase.

Day 1 --- arrive Haneda airport, take train to Hotel at Tokyo station. Will visit Asakusa, Odaiba and Harajuku
Day 2 --- Take Shinkansen to Matsumoto, visit castle, then to Yudanaka Onsen, stay here
Day 3 --- At Yudanaka area
Day 4 --- Take train back to Tokyo, stay here and visit Shibuya
Day 5 --- Take Shinkansen to Osaka and stay near Namba station. Spend day at Dontonbori
Day 6 --- Universal studio
Day 7 --- Take Shinkansen to Okayama, day trip and go to Kurashiki, evening back to Osaka
Day 8 --- Take Kintetsu ltd exp to Ise and back to Osaka in the evening
Day 9 Take Shinkasen to Hakata, stay here
Day 10 Visit Dazaifu and Yanagawa
Day 11 Take Shinkansen to Yufuin, stay here
Day 12 Take Shinkansen to Hakata, stay here
Day 13 Take train to Fukouka airport

Should I modify some of my itinerary ?
by jenny (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass 2014/7/24 13:37
Don't worry, the JR Pass does cover some shinkansen, just not the fastest ones. If you're looking up times and fares on Hyperdia (http://www.hyperdia.com/en/), under 'SearchDetails' untick 'Nozomi/etc.' and 'Private Railway', and it will give you only trains you can use the JR Pass on.

But your itinerary does need some rethinking! Matsumoto is about three hours away from Tokyo; you're wasting a lot of time in travel! You'd be better off doing all of your Tokyo travel at the start, then Osaka, and do Matsumoto when you're in the Okayama area. To calculate if a JR Pass will pay off, use Hyperdia to look up the fares. If it turns out to be too expensive, use the Rail Passes section on this website to see if another train pass will pay off (there are a lot).
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread