Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buy unlocked phones in Japan (English) 2014/7/29 21:39
Hey, I'll be in Japan for a week or two and I want to buy some phones while I'm there. Where can I get these phones (preferably officially)?

The models in particular I am looking for are:
Moto G 16GB
Asus Zenfone 4
Asus Zenfone 5

The phones should be unlocked, and in English language (at least the ability to configure to use fully in English).

Also I was thinking about purchasing a laptop cooler, this one particularly:
iHome IH-A706CW

I'll be in Hiroshima so it would be best if I can buy from Hiroshima itself or at least very near to it. Will there be a major price difference if I buy from elsewhere?
Where would be the best location to buy these?

I do not have a credit card so I would have to buy it in cash (I have US dollars - will I have to exchange them first or is USD accepted in Japanese stores?). Also, will I be able to make the purchase knowing only English or do I need a Japanese friend to come along?

Thanks you so much for your help.
by Raman Shah (guest)  

Re: Buy unlocked phones in Japan (English) 2014/7/31 08:33
Motorola has very little market share and Asus has virtually none in Japan. Maybe someone else will have better luck, but I'm not finding any of those models except on export sites. Probably better off directly ordering from Taiwan or Hong Kong and cutting out the middle men.

Similarly, iHome is not a commonly sold brand in Japan and only a small selection from their product line make it across to the (mostly online) stores here. Costco has a small selection too. But there are tons of laptop coolers by companies other than ihome available in the electronics stores, so you'll probably be able to find something that suits your needs.

I have US dollars - will I have to exchange them first or is USD accepted in Japanese stores?

You must exchange them for yen first.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread