Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/7/31 12:19
Hello I'm a 22 year old male looking to study in Japan. I want to go to a Japanese language school, but I honestly don't have the money.

If anyone has gone their in the past, how did you afford it? Can you get a loan some how?
I am an american and I speak fluent Japanese(I failed JLPT 1 last year though) and I never went to college. But I want to go to Japanese language school
by Max2 (guest)  

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/7/31 14:15
People I know have paid out of their savings or with support from their parents. As Japanese language schools are considered in a way "extra," not part of the formal education, I don't think there are any loans available.
If you are close to JLPT 1, you might want to look into getting private lessons - the full-time 1.5 year or 2 year courses are usually geared toward beginners (to bring them up to JLPT 1 or 2 level), so I wonder if you will easily find courses suited to you.
What are your plans after the school?
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/7/31 14:47
depending on where your based it can be expensive. When i studied to J3 in tokyo and had to stop because couldn't afford it, Im now living in osaka and i am studying at an institute called Japanese Institute Osaka( www.jijapanese.com . I paid 130,000 for 3 months, but they also give me the option of one month for 50,000 but i opted for the 3 months as it was a saving. Apart from that, i cant think of any other cheaper ways to Study Japanese at an official school with an offical teacher?
by Chris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/7/31 17:15
Can you get a loan some how?

In a US bank? In a Japanese bank?
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/7/31 19:54
Be very careful to not take a loan you can't pay back later. If you look hard enough for a loan, you will probably find one, but it might get you into trouble when payments come due.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/8/1 02:00
Work until you can afford it?
by Jo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/8/1 03:22
I'm going to a language school in October for one year. I have been working for the past 3 years so I have money saved up.

How long do you want to be in the school for? I think you'd need at least around $20,000 if you want to stay in Japan for a year. This is based on research and doing some calculations of my own.
by Raptors rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/8/1 03:25
Sorry for the double post, but if you're quite good with Japanese already, you might not have to study much longer to pass level 1. So maybe just get a job, work for a little bit then go to a language school for a few months.

You could go to a bank, but don't borrow money unless you have a definitive plan to pay it back.
by Raptors rate this post as useful

Re: How to afford Japanese language school? 2014/8/1 12:55
If anyone has gone their in the past, how did you afford it? Can you get a loan some how?

Typically you either work and save up before hand, or you are bankrolled by a relative. Loans for the purpose of going to a language school will be difficult to get unless you can get a cosigner (and frankly it's a pretty bad decision for the person cosigning with you). Japanese banks will not give you a loan.

On the bright side, you won't need all that much money to study if you come for 3-6 months, and if you do it for less than 6 months you can forego the student visa process and just come over on tourist visas (you'll have to do one visa run midway through). That also means you wouldn't need all the money up front and could work part time along the way to help defray (but unlikely to fully cover) the costs of your studies.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread