Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

25 days trip to japan 2014/8/1 06:39
Hello everyone, im going to travel to japan this november along with other friends, we are going to stay 25 days there and then we will go back.

We will arrive at 6:35am to the narita airport, but after that we have no idea of what we should do, so any suggestions would be gladly accepted.

We have the option of buying the train pass for 21 days but im not sure if its a good option, we could buy flight tickets instead.

We are planning to rent an apparment for all the 25 days there, but our travel agency adviced us that it would be wiser to rent it for a week and then decide to go to other cities in japan an stay in a hotel.

Also if you have any suggestion about what we can do to feed ourselves lol i would love to hear them. With that i mean if you have any advice about what to do, maybe we should cook our own food or eat at a restaurant, if you know any easy and cheap dishes to optimize our money, please tell me.

Thank you for all your help, you will probably ask about our interest, so we would like to visit the temples or museums, any place with a beautiful landscapes, restaurants we must visit or bars or night clubs too!, we will start visiting tokyo and stay there for a while before we decide to go anywhere else.

Thank you very much for your help! :)
by Mariussinclair (guest)  

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/1 11:32
25 days is a good set of time. Do some research! This website has a ton of great articles. Many people on their first trip to Japan hit the top cities: Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka. Many add in some in the north or the south, like up to Akita or Hokkaido, or down to Kyushu or even Okinawa. Look around at the articles here and choose a few places to use as a base.

Then, you can start planning more specifically where you want to go. If you stay in Tokyo for a week, for example, not only can you easily explore the city in that time, but also take some day trips, to Nikko, Hakone, or even Kusatsu for example. Basing in Osaka or Kyoto allows you do do the same.

You need to help us help you; a budget, for one. How many people total? We can't say if a JR pass will pay off, or which one, until you have an itinerary.

Personally, I think planning on your own is half the fun of travel. So start reading and see what you find!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/4 13:36
Hi, thank you for your answer! Well im traveling with 4 of my friends, so we are five in total, we have a budget of about 3000 dollars for each person.

I was talking with my friends and i told them that i would like to visit an amusement park in japan, so any suggestions?

we are planing to visit tokyo, kyoto, and osaka, but we may add other cities if we have the time and the money.
by Mariussinclair (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/5 01:18
If you are intereted in temples, I reccomend you NIKKO.

There are some factory visit tours (soy sauce, beer brewery, etc), which are fun.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/5 02:21
$3000/25=$120/day. If that is your budget for the entire trip, you are in big trouble! That is not enough money for lodging, transport, food or any amusement.

For my 25 day trip, I'm allotting $900 for transport (in country), $2000 for lodging (business hotels), $3000 for airfare (both to/from and within Japan), $1500 for donations and about $3000 for liberal spending money (GOOD food, entrance fees, and any thing I'd like to tack on).

Most places will not allow four to a room, so you have to double up. The 21 day rail pass pays off for me because I'll be going from Kagoshima to Sapporo and many places in between. It'll pay off about twice over. But that's about $800, so that's close to a quarter of your budget.

Please do a LOT of research, because too many people ask this same question and have no idea what to do when they get to Japan. You must have some idea of what you want to do.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/5 06:02
I would consider spending like half of the time in Tokyo and doing day trips as well, and getting to other places in the rest of the time. If you are staying in one place for a long time then a 21 Days Japan Rail Pass will not pay off. You should look into 7 and 14 Day passes depending on your itinerary, but have in mind the Japan Rail Pass pays off with long distance travel.
As for amusement parks, don't miss Fuji Q, near Kawaguchiko (it can be done as a side trip from Tokyo). It has 4 of the best rollercoasters in the world and the views of Mount Fuji are great.
As other said, navigate around Japan Guide and make a list of the places you want to visit and then put an itinerary around it.
by Aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/5 22:36
The benefit of the JR 21 Day pass comes if you are doing a lot of long distance travel to different places, and not if you are staying in one place. If you plan is to rent a place in Tokyo, I would not get one.

$120 per day is possible, but you will be on a tight budget. If you go with a buisness class hotel, you are probably looking at about $60/night. If you are willing to live with less privacy, and perhaps look into a shared dormitory room.

Look at the link provided to the Sakura Hotel in Ikebukuro, which I have stayed at twice. They offer buisness class private rooms, and the Dorm options. It also has some nice photos of what you would get, so that you can figure out if this is for you.

http://www.sakura-hotel-ikebukuro.com/

This will give you an idea of what the range is for accomidation, and different people in you party may want different levels of privacy, and may be willing the pay the extra amount. This will allow different people on diffent budgets to stay at the same hotel.

There are different accomidations, and this can be you biggest daily expense. I prefer a resort, or a buisness class hotel, and I ended up getting a single private room at this hotel. My preference in Tokyo is to now stay in Nippori, so I have a business class hotel there that is my regular hotel.

This is at least a start to get you looking at your budget and accomidations. I hope this helps.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: 25 days trip to japan 2014/8/12 06:03
Hi! Thank you for your answers! I think i forgot to tell you that the 3000 dollars were to spend in tours, buying souvenirs as well for any entrance fees, the acommodations, and the transportations are all paid beforehand
by Hi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread