Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Does he still like me? 2014/8/4 07:03
Hi everyone.
Last August I met a Japanese guy while he was studying English in my country. We became boyfriend and girlfriend. He moved in with me in October, and came home with me for Christmas. He left in the beginning of January to travel Europe, before returning to Japan in the beginning of February.

Before he left, I asked him if we could still date in Japan and he said yes.
At the airport the last thing he said to me was that he'd see me in Japan.

We text on LINE every morning or night, sometimes both, and Skype about once a month. He is not very lovey-dovey, so it is hard for me to tell his feelings. I have a bit of social anxiety, so it's too hard to ask him outright.

I will move to Japan next month, and he volunteered to pick me up from the airport. He wants to take me to an izakaya, too, and told me that his best friends want to join us. Also, his parents want to come meet me and take me out for sushi. (Note, his parents don't know w email are / were dating. They just think we are very good friends.)

Basically, I think the thing that's throwing me off is the fact that "I like you, we are dating" is not frequently reinforced to me. It wasn't really stated frequently when we were dating in person, either, which I have come to understand is a typical Japanese thing.

But since he is volunteering to come all the way to the airport to pick me up, and will have me meet his parents and friends, it might be a sign that I'm just paranoid? I'm just worried this is going to turn into some sort of Six Sense situation where at the end I realize, "you were really dumped the whole time---" or something lame.

Thoughts/ advice?

Greatly appreciated ;-;

Sincerely,

Chronic Worry Wart.

Also sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes. I'm on my phone.
by gaijinxstrugglebus  

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/4 12:50
There's really not much you or anyone else can do to alleviate your concerns, because that would require being able to read his mind.

Yes, it's possible that he's just messing with you, but there is only one way to find out, it's to go there and see what happens.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/4 15:10
introducing to parents/friends is quite a big thing in Japan. He wouldn't do it if just messing around.
I think it is culture and communication problem. Japanese people usually don't say "I love you" to each other, but rather "I like you". They would rather show their feelings by action than with words.
Heads up. :)
by himcia rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/4 19:13
In the same way that you know that you "became boyfriend and girlfriend" in your country, I would think that considering you have frequent contact despite the distance and he's willing to pick you up at the airport/introduce you to family...etc, should be a massive indicator.

If you're still unsure, ask him.
by Jemineye rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/4 20:07
Thanks you guys

;-;

#paranoid
by gaijinxstrugglebus rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/5 01:32
When is the wedding ?

Omedetou gozaimasu..
O shiawase ni
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/5 22:57
Obviously, yes. My future hubby took me to meet his parents and friends :) If he didn't like you he would be like most guys hiding you from everyone .
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/5 23:05
:')

Ok I feel a lot better now haha. Thanks everyone!

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/6 00:31
Sorry to say this, but if he is introducing you to his family and friends as a friend and not his GF, it doesn't necessarily mean he is planning to marry you.
by Minerva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/6 00:34
As far as whether he likes you or not, though, I don't think you need to worry. :)

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/6 01:50
@minerva
True :D
Remember to pay attention to how he introduce you as :) gf, freind, etc
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/6 02:56
Haha, well I don't think he's going to pop the question either LOL.

I know he's deffo not gonna introduce me to his parents as his GF, because his mother might become "colder" towards me. His parents are very well aware of my existence, and his mom extended an invitation to me to come over so she could feed me takoyaki...

As for his friends... No idea. I know he sometimes gets shy. I think he's probably just going to introduce me by my name, to be completely honest. Haha.

But I guess he was talking about me in some capacity, because his friends kind of invited themselves to come meet me, and keep telling him they want to meet me when I arrive in Japan...

I think the thing that triggered my anxiety was an article or three I read about gaijin girl // Japanese male relationships where the guy considered them broken up, and the girl never had a clue about it for weeks.

But I guess if he wasn't interested, he wouldn't be putting this level of effort into stuff, would he?

Re: Does he still like me? 2014/8/6 03:03
All of the things you mentioned about him, his family, and his friends can be considered as good signs. Something like " his mom extended an invitation to me to come over so she could feed me " is a huge deal on its own, even as a friends.
I know about those articles, and can positively say your case is not one of them. So, don't worry! ( and good luck with everything )

reply to this thread