Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/6 13:25
I am off to Japan for 2 weeks (14 days). I checked the JR 14 days pass but it's very expensive, I was wondering if it would not be cheaper to pay per ride considering itinerary:

- KIX Airport to Osaka (staying 2 days in Osaka)
- Osaka to Mount Koya
- Mount Koya to Nara
- Nara to Kyoto (staying 3 days in Kyoto)
- Kyoto to Takayama
- Takayama to Toyama to Alpine route to Matsumoto
- Matsumoto to Nagano
- Nagano to Osaka (staying overnight on the way along the Kiso Valley)

Now I noticed I am going through 3 zones (west, central and east), also the Alpine Route is not covered by the JR pass.

I am really lost when it gets to figuring out the whole train system... I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks a lot in advance.
by Markus (guest)  

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/6 17:25
Hi Markus

Most of the initial section in the Kansai region that you're planning won't be covered by the JRP. You're better off getting individual tickets from KIX to Osaka and then the Nankai World Heritage Pass for your trip to Koya.

On the way to Nara, your Nankai pass will be good up to Shin Imamiya and then you'd use JR lines to Nara and on to Kyoto; again, individual tickets best here as you're then going to have 3 days in Kyoto.

Use Hyperdia to check train prices for Kyoto - Takayama, Matsumoto - Nagano and Nagano - Osaka. If you're doing all that within a 2 week period I imagine the cost will be cheaper to buy individual tickets but if it's within a week, maybe the JRP would pay off.

Have fun!
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 00:08
As said above the JRP will be basically useless for your Kansai/Koya itinerary. The ride from the airport and a day at Koya can be pricey, I'd look into a 3-day Surutto kansai pass, can probably save a bit with it and also the convenience. Use it for your trips to/from Koya and your other most expensive days, (probably the ride from the airport and one other day). http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_005.html

As for a the rest the JRP might pay off, but it'll be close. hyperdia.com it to be sure.
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 12:23
Based on those replies, does this seems like a good choice:

- first 3 days (KIX and Osaka city): Surutto Kansai 3 Day Ticket

- single tickets to Mount Koya, then to Nara next day and then to Kyoto next day.

- Rent bicycles for the 3 days in Kyoto.

- Single ticket from Kyoto to Takayama (if enough time, half day to shirakawago).

- Single ticket to Toyama then Alpine route (which isn't covered by any pass anyways).

- Now the last part I am not sure yet, I will be in Matsumoto, going to Nagano then back to Osaka and staying overnight on the way (in Nakatsugawa). This in 3 days, is there a pass that covers this route/area?

All-in-all it seems like a one week pass won't pay out.
by Markus (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 12:36
Just noticed the Koyasan World Heritage Ticket includes a return ride to Mount Koya which suits me great:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_012.html

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 12:44
Also noticed the Surutto Kansai pass :
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_005.html

Doesn't need to be consecutive days. I could take a 3 days pass, use it on the first and second day, then one day in Mount Koya with the world heritage ticket, and use my third day to go to Nara.

Or is a 2 days + Osaka to Nara cheaper than a 3 days pass?

I find all those passes very complicated... It looks like a nightmare to pick the right one, and then there is picking the right train/bus for the pass.

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 14:13
If you do a round trip from Kyoto station to Nara via Kintetsu in one day, the 3-day pass would be cheaper by a few hundred yen.

From Kintetsu's station at Osakananba to Nara, it'd be 1120 yen for the round trip, but if you take the subway before/after etc then the three day pass is again better than the two day + going to Nara via normal tickets.

Check google maps or hyperdia for fares if you want to calculate yourself.

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 14:15
Also alternatively, if you have time in Osaka/Kyoto, using the pass for a day trip to Hieizan also basically makes it pay for itself in a day. Trips to Koya/Hieizan are probably the two most efficient uses of the pass.

Re: Getting a train pass or just pay per ride? 2014/8/7 15:40
If that's the JR pass that includes the Shinkansen and considering some of the longer trips you are planning, then it will probably be a net savings both for money and more importantly for time. However, you have to do the math to figure it out more exactly, and I admit that I'm biased against JR, too...

You asked for some more general advice, which reminded me of an old blog I wrote:

http://glimpses-of-familiar-japan.blogspot.jp/2013/06/commuting-in-jun...

There were some others under the "How to Traing" theme, which probably came from an old JR ad.
by shanen (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread