Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to get products from costco home? 2014/8/23 00:28
Hello all!

So I'm thinking of going to Costco with a few friends, and unfortunately none of us drive (Or well, have a car in Japan.)

What's the best way to get our groceries home from Costco? My host mum mentioned that there was some kind of shipping service that is offered, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Cheers!
by libraryxhime (guest)  

Re: How to get products from costco home? 2014/8/23 12:48
Don't forget to bring your Costco membership cards for at least some of you. (Up to two guests can accompany a member.) Or be prepared to buy new memberships at Y4000 (+tax) a pop.

Shipping from Costco is the same as shipping from anywhere in Japan - it's via takkyubin. So it's not that cost-effective to buy things like cases of wine or beer, which otherwise might be tempting. And very large packages like thirty packs of potato chips are also impractical.

I usually bring a big, collapsible carrying bag that I bought at Ikea, and restrict myself to smaller items in amounts that I don't mind carrying home.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: How to get products from costco home? 2014/8/23 21:52
Or you could skip actually going, and just order from the flying pig:

http://www.theflyingpig.com/tfp/shop.asp

I have a Costco near me now, but before it was built I used flying pig on occasion. Obviously its a little more expensive, but considering you were going to ship stuff home anyway, plus train ride cost out there etc., it's probably about the same, and much more convenient. Also add the fact that Costco doesn't always carry its full range of products at once, or will stop selling unpopular items (i.e. my local Costco stopped selling my creamy peanut butter, grrrrr) but through the website you can get pretty much their full range of products.

Of course, nothing beats going in and trying all the samples and grabbing a hot dog or some pizza, but unless you're going on a weekday, the crowds can be off-putting in and of themselves.

And just as an fyi, another online store that isn't necessarily Costco items like flying pig is, but is direct orders from the US, is the foreign buyers club (http://www.fbcusa.com) and its also a great site, though you do have to join.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: How to get products from costco home? 2014/8/24 12:24
If I haven't got a car I get the information desk at the front of the warehouse to call a taxi, which I take to the nearest station. I use a wheeled smaller sized suitcase, and costco chiller bags with ice if it is really hot for perishable foodstuffs or if we are in a group we rent a car for a day (shared cost)
and buy what we need. With what we save usually this works out well.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread