Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/24 13:40
I was looking up flights from Jackson, Mississippi, United States, to Tokyo and it was $2000 leaving in May of 2015 and returning in June. I knew it would cost a good bit considering it's a long distance, but a few years ago the flights didn't cost that much. What has made them go up?
by Just wondering (guest)  

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/24 14:01
Fuel surcharge I guess...
by Guesto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/24 14:09
If you think flights to Japan are expensive you should check the prices for flights from Japan.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 00:39
If you can wait until the end of March and first week of April, the flight costs usually go down for May departures.

Besides fuel surcharges, the airlines have cut flights both by destination and frequency, thereby increasing demand for the remaining flights (and filling all the cramped seats). I used to fly into Nagoya and Osaka as well as Tokyo but now I'm limited to Tokyo (and hope for T2). Only during some winter flights lately have there been empty seats.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 01:04
1) because it's half way round the world - it's going to cost you
2) because you live a long way from a large hub airport
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 01:34
In 2005, I paid $990 r/t on JAL. In 2010, I paid $1200 on JAL. In 2012, I paid $1600 on JAL. Then I became tired of the cramped quarters of economy and splurged for premium economy (1" wider seat and 8" more legroom) and in 2013, I paid $2000 on JAL. In 2014 (May), I paid $2200 on JAL. Next year (March), I'll be paying $2450 for a round trip on JAL from ORD (my home in Chicago) to NRT. It is expensive, yes, but I prefer that service to any American carriers that, while cheaper, don't guarantee better service or have the on-time performance (96%) that JL009 has to Narita.

Taxes and fuel surcharges account for about 66% of the JAL fare, so it's all about the taxes and the fact that life, as a whole, is getting more expensive.

by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 02:31
One reason that flights to Japan from the US are expensive could also be the lack of competition between airlines, since your choice is basically limited to the two Japanese carries (JAL and ANA) and a handful of US ones. From Europe, the situation is much better because there are a lot more airlines to choose from since each country basically has its own one (Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Austrian, Swiss, etc.), and round-trips at 600 euros or less are common.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 05:09
Thanks! I actually found a much cheaper flight that was more like $1,500 (which, judging from the high prices, isn't bad) but the only thing I didn't like about it is that it had a layover in Houston and then in Los Angeles. However, I will go with people's advice and check later.
by Just wondering (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 05:16
By the way, when I'm looking for options with one layover, it's either American Airlines with a layover in Dallas, Delta with a layover in Atlanta, or United with a layover in either Chicago or Houston.

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 06:02
I agree with John B about the annual price hikes. I have been able to go using miles - I charge as much as possible to my credit card and shop through its portal for extra miles, etc. plus there are occasional bonuses. Then maybe one round trip a year to Europe....and this year I am contemplating buying the extra miles I need for the round trip. :)
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 06:11
Well I can't exactly do that as I'm 14... I wouldn't be paying for this trip to Japan, it would be my parents... I tell them they could save money be getting frequent flyer miles, but they don't listen. You see, my parents say that it might not happen only because of the cost of the flight, nothing else... and that really bothers me as I've wanted to go to Japan since I was 10... If I do get to go to Japan, it would probably be in like 2016, but I'm just trying to get a basic idea of the prices right now.
I think my uncle might have a frequent flyer mile account; I'll have to ask him.

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 06:49
Why instead of you making your parents pay for the trip you want so much get a part-time job, save for it and make it happen?? Sure it's more difficult, but it'll be much more rewarding in the end.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 06:56
By the way, some ultra quick search on Skyscanner reveal prices of 1300$ for a round trip, with 2 plane changes though. It might be a little bit more inconvenient but it can't be THAT bad. Some people just like to moan much about air service.
by aerond rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 08:06
Just a thought, but check out the costs from Hawaii to Japan, as a lot of carriers do this route, and you might be able to connect from Jackson to Honolulu then onto Japan.. Look at the low cost carriers (LLC), they offer very little service, but you are young and fit? and
can put your headphones on and chill out for the flight. Check Jetstar, and Hawaiian Airlines, both offer good sale prices at times.
by LoveJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 08:31
I wouldn't mind getting a job it's just that due to the economic situation in the United States (especially given the fact that Mississippi is the poorest state) I'm not sure if I'd be able to get one. I can legally, though.
I wouldn't mind going to Hawaii either especially because my parents would like to go there, it's just that they'd want to see the sights there, adding to the costs as I believe Hawaii is even more than Japan.
I have checked flights out of New Orleans and they are a bit cheaper but not by much. I assume that's because more flights go to and from that airport.

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 09:28
Well you certainly won't get a job if you don't try to get one. Employers want motivated, dedicated, enthusiastic staff. Don't be picky either. A job is a job, and it'll help you in the long term. It's harder to find a job as an 18 yr old with no experience than as a keen 14 yr old. Good luck!
by civil (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/25 11:06
Part of the reason is because you are looking way in advance. Most airlines have more discounted specials about 3-4 months before the flight date, not this far in advance. Of course if it's a peak season you'll pay more no matter what - and it may be better to get a seat when you can for times like Golden Week or just before New Year's. But May is not that busy.
Another reason is because of the price of oil which as of now is close to $100/barrel. Airlines like JAL and ANA tack on fuel surcharges of over $500 to each ticket (and adjust the surcharge every 2 months or so depending on the changing price).
And then of course it's the route and competition. Flying from MS you need to go to some major hub, like ATL or ORD or DFW.
by atochie rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/29 09:07
I just found a flight on American Airlines that goes via Dallas for $1100!

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/8/31 14:43
I'm going on October 31,2014 San Francisco to Tokyo on United for $865 round trip. Prior trips on ANA were $920 and $918 round trip. Considering the distance, I find the price very reasonable.
by Wayne523 rate this post as useful

Re: Why do flights to Japan cost so much? 2014/9/1 00:26
I have now gone to Japan 4 times, and 3 of the four times that I have gone, I have used Airline Miles from Americam Airlines. The amount of airline miles varies, and I did have to use 35,000 each way this summer, but the other two times, I have used 25,000 miles for each leg of my trip.

I live in Dallas, but I checked how many airline miles it would take this Nopvember from Jackson, MI, and it was the same 25,000 miles for each leg.

If you have an account, you can buy 50,000 mile right now for $1100. There are some additional fees, but the cost of just buying the miles and getting the tickets should be less than $1200.

Personally, I have a charge card that gives an AA mile for every dollar I purchase. This means that every time I punp gas into my car, go to a movie, or buy some clothes, I am paying for my next trip to Japan. I also like that I can get an open jaw flight, such as flying into Tokyo, and flying out of Osaka, for 25,000 each way. So getting open jaw reservations does not cost me any extra.

Things have changed a bit, in that I have now not been able to book flights into or out of Fukuoka like I did last year. I liked going to Kyushu, and there the JR Kyushu Pass is a very good value, expecially the Northern Kyushu Pass. The AA flight from Dallas to Fukuoka that I bookedwith airline miles had a 23 hour layover in Hawaii, so I also had a day in Hawaii on my trip last year. I considered this a bonus. I will now have to fly into Osaka, and go south to get to Kyushu.

This is just another avenue to aquiring your tickets to Japan. It is worth looking into.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread