Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

United Airlines vs ANA? 2014/8/26 03:04
I hear that ANA is the better flight experience but the additional cost over United would be 300 dollars more for a flight from LAX to Narita.

Is it worth the price increase for an 11 hour flight?
by FarNaway  

Re: United Airlines vs ANA? 2014/8/26 12:15
ANA is miles ahead of United, and definitely worth booking if the prices are close. That said, $300 is not close enough for me to choose the ANA flight. One thing to try is to look for codeshare flights using ANA planes but purchased through United (or any other Star Alliance member). I did this on my last flight and got the best of higher comfort and lower prices.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: United Airlines vs ANA? 2014/8/26 15:39
I have not taken a United flight before. But I have a bought a flight to Haneda from San Francisco on United on October 31, 2014 for $865 (Not available at this price anymore). Right now ANA is $1433. I have taken 2 flights with ANA. ANA is excellent. The United flight is cheap because there is one meal going and no meal coming back. The internet reviews of United are not good. I am willing to put up with poor or no service. The difference in price is a 21 day Japan Rail Pass or 8 nights at a business hotel. If the difference in price is less than $100, I would go with ANA
by Wayne523 rate this post as useful

Re: United Airlines vs ANA? 2014/8/26 22:10
It totally depends on what you seek in "flight exeriences." Since I can live with poor food, alcohol for a price and small leg-space, I choose to save $300. But you can still get a lot on UA, especially on LAX to NRT flights.

First of all, you can aim for the codeshares as suggested. Secondly, you can try to book your favorite seats by booking early. For example, the very rear two-seater section is known to be a popular spot, because there's no one behind you, the window seat is still more accessible to the isles and the isle seat is still closer to the window view.

Or you can pay a little extra for "Economy Plus" seats or even business or first class seats that offer you better dining.

Either way, I've noticed that UA economy seating and dining is among the worst you can get. You don't even get movie choices. But you can get better conditions while still choosing UA.
by Uco rate this post as useful

no meal ? 2014/8/26 22:17
Wayne wrote;
"no meal coming back"

Do you mean for the Narita/San Francisco UA flights? It might depend on the flight, but they do provide meals both ways (how can one live without eating for 11 hours).

At least for UA852/853, they provided one whole meal and one light snack. The meal was indeed very poor though. But the snack was more like an extremely light continental breakfast, so I thought that in total, they were enough to prevent me from starving. However, I'm glad I bought some dry snack at the airport before boarding.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: United Airlines vs ANA? 2014/8/26 22:25
In economy class, ANA are currently ahead of UA in terms of service and food, though they have recently cut back on baggage allowances. I find the UA food barely edible, while the ANA meals are always good and they have an ice cream service and free flowing alcohol though out the flight.

The ANA long haul seat is a bit divisive - it is hard and doesn't recline (instead the seat moves forwards), some love it as no one reclines into your space, larger Americans do complain that it's not comfortable. This will get worse as ANA are currently installing narrower seats (their 777s are going from 9 abreast to 10 abreast), these seats will recline like normal ones, but because of their width are behind UA in comfort.

UA offer reasonable buy ups to economy comfort, with increased legroom. ANA premium economy on the other hand is expensive (double the price, unless you are an ANA elite flyer).

In business class, it's another world and I can't see why anyone would pick UA over ANA.
by Mr Shippy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: United Airlines vs ANA? 2014/8/27 01:43
Thanks all. I've done some more digging around through multiple travel sites and did find an ANA flight for the exact same price. It's a legitimate ANA flight and not a United flight sold by ANA so I'm glad about that.

It will be my first time to Japan so I'm excited about that.
by FarNaway rate this post as useful

To Uco 2014/8/27 04:11
To Uco,

It's Haneda to San Fransico. No meal. Apparently, you can purchase snacks.

Copied from www.united.com

Flight: UA876
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200
Fare Class: United Economy (L)
Meal: None
by Wayne523 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread