Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

best time/site to buy a ticket 2014/8/30 10:34
Hi,
I was planning to buy a ticket to Tokyo,Japan and I was wondering when is the best time/site to buy the cheapest round trip tickets? I am planning to buy them for May 21,2015-May 29, 2015. People have told me to buy them months in advance but on sites, I read different things like buying them 11 weeks, 129 days, etc. is the best. Also, has anyone booked a vacation package though expedia for a trip to japan before and if so, was it a good experience?

Please & Thank You
by Anne C. (guest)  

Re: best time/site to buy a ticket 2014/9/1 10:40
If you set up a price alert on kayak.com it will let you know not only changes, but projected ones as well. There are a lot of theories on when is best to buy. Personally, I prefer to get them as much in advance as possible because there's always a chance if you wait too long of them not being available anymore.

That time period is not a heavy travel time in Japan, however you should check holidays and schedules in your home country to check volume. If its a popular holiday period (spring break for students, for example, although I think that's actually earlier... Memorial Day in the US maybe?), then more people tend to fly.

Once you buy, stop checking. Even if it goes up or down it wont be too significant so don't worry about it anymore!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: best time/site to buy a ticket 2014/9/1 12:56
Hi, thanks for the advice. I noticed that the dates I picked are pretty near Memorial Day (May 25th) as you mentioned. I'll try to pick better dates. Also I set up the price alert at kayak. Hopefully things work out. Thanks for the advice!!
by Anne C. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: best time/site to buy a ticket 2014/9/1 20:26
a lot depends on where your flying from, here in Europe there's a lot of competition between airlines and the prices don't tend to vary much. It's usually just a case of waiting for an airline to have a sale.
by pas7680 rate this post as useful

Re: best time/site to buy a ticket 2014/9/2 01:56
I leave for Japan out of Chicago almost every May 20th. The tickets are cheapest the last week of March and the first few days of April and they sell out quickly. Delaying even a day can see a rise of $300 or more. Lately, American Airlines has had the best price but occasionally United. I'll also pay a bit more to fly on JAL or ANA.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread