Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/8/31 01:08
Can anyone provide a map with coordinates to where exactly this bamboo forest is located? I'm confused at to where it is and would like to plan on using the nearest rail station to arrive from Osaka. Thank you!
by John B digs Japan  

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/8/31 07:58
Here:
http://goo.gl/maps/v9QuK
http://goo.gl/maps/arqVM

It is also explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

If you come from Osaka, take the Hankyu Kyoto Line from Hankyu Umeda Station to Katsura and then the Hankyu Arashiyama Line to Arashiyama.

Alternatively, take the JR Kyoto Line to Kyoto and then the JR Sagano Line to Saga-Arashiyama.

To look up train connections:
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/8/31 10:19
Thanks, Uji! I just needed the precise location! Now I can "see" where it is!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/8/31 16:11
Hi
I have been to the Bamboo forest.
During certain week in Dec, the forest will be lighted up and it is absolutely beautiful.
The forest is within walking distance from JR Saga Arashiyama station.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/1 03:10
I have gone to the Bamboo forest from JR Saga Arashiyama, and you end up walking on little sidewalks between houses, and along several small streets that seem unmarked. I will say that it was very beautiful in the morning, and that there were not very many people around, so it was a great time for taking photographs. I arrived around 6:30 AM, and was also able to get many photos with the early morning mist in them.

I also understand why several Anime shows have students on their senior class trip getting lost in Kyoto. K-ON comes to mind, and it wasn't just one group of students that got lost in the episode on the senior class trip. It was in the Arashiyama area, too. Make sure you watch carefully your path from the station, and try to stop and look back several times, so that you can make a good visual reference of the route.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/2 02:28
It was very beautiful to walk through, when we were there about a month ago, in late July. However, I will point one thing out. Probably a summer thing, but there were mosquitos all over (or some other biting flying bugs). We each got numerous insect bites, which were itchy for several days afterwards. This is a little bit discouraging, especially in light of the recent news about Dengue fever in Tokyo. Nonetheless, it is still worth it to go.

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/2 02:46
I plan on being there April 7th, so the bugs probably won't be out yet. Thank you all for your support!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/2 03:41
ha ha, i myself could not find it when i went to Japan. i even went to japan early to catch the winter event for the bamboo forest and for 2 days could not find it. even my brother who went to japan a year later could not find the bamboo forest.

funny thing is, when i was in Nagasaki i ran into two other trallvers who went there for the event, they found it but they said getting there was hard enough.,
by SeikoSKO rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/2 10:30
My partner and I took a while to find the place too. There weren't exactly that many signs arounds when you get out of JR Saga Arashiyama and the few board maps weren't very helpful.

It didn't help that it was getting dark after 5pm in winter and there wasn't a trail of visitors whom we could follow.

It was some 15-20 mins walk from the station, passing by some bike rental place soon after, then a quiet and dimly lit residential estate before getting to the two rows of restaurants and sweet shops. The bamboo forest is soon after.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/2 11:32
When I went it wasn't too hard to see where it was as you walked down the main street. Granted that was near the middle of the day on a weekend so there were a lot of people coming and going from there. If I recall correctly there may be an english sign pointing towards it on the intersection that leads to it. I can't remember if it was on a lamppost or on the ground.

It wasn't as spectacular as I imagined last time (lots of people and not much tranquility) so this trip we're going to pay to get into adashino nenbutsuji and walk through the one they have up the back. Hopefully it's more like what I imagined.
by chasingme rate this post as useful

Re: Arashiyama bamboo forest 2014/9/2 11:59
It wasn't as spectacular as I imagined last time (lots of people and not much tranquility) so this trip we're going to pay to get into adashino nenbutsuji and walk through the one they have up the back. Hopefully it's more like what I imagined.

@chasingme Thought so too. When we finally got there, I was like this is it? I didn't like that driving is allowed on the narrows paths as well. Pedestrains have to squeeze themselves onto the side each time a car drives by.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

reply to this thread