Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukubukuro Bags 2015 2014/9/1 18:38
Hi All,

We'll be in Kyoto for the New Years Holiday. I just found out about these bags.
Where can I find a list of department stores that are participating in this? Do the bags list the contents of the merchandise inside?
I'm either staying at the Granvia Kyoto or at the Ohanabo ryokan in Kyoto.
Do all stores participate in this? I think I read someone's blog that said an Apple store participated.
thanks.
by lilien  

Re: Fukubukuro Bags 2015 2014/9/2 10:29
Prior to January 1st, most stores will advertise their bags. Unless its a little mom and pop store, most department stores and big brand stores in Japan participate. If you're interested in a specific store, you can simply visit their store (and sometimes even websites now!) and look to see if they are advertising. For most of December, especially the later half, there should be notices.

As for a list of contents, that's the point of it... you don't know what you're getting, you just know that you're getting xxx yen of merchandise for cheaper than retail.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Fukubukuro Bags 2015 2014/9/2 20:02
Thanks for the info. I have read on some blogs that some retailers will list the contents of their bags for shoppers. I was wondering who those retailers were.
by lilien rate this post as useful

Re: Fukubukuro Bags 2015 2014/9/2 21:40
Some will guarantee a certain type of item or give a general list. For example, my favorite clothing store says their fukubukuro contains "one coat, one bottom, two tops, and one accessory" every year, but you don't know specifically colors/cut/style of those. Is that what you mean?

In that case, many will in fact list generally what type of items to expect. Clothing stores especially will give you an rundown of what goods they will include, and often size.

Closer to the date, check the websites/stores of where you're interested in buying. In the info for each, many will include that info.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

reply to this thread