Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/17 23:35
I'm wondering is there is anything to do in Tokyo and Osaka during the day? We have a 7 day trip to both cities, for the next 2 weeks but we haven't quite nailed down the plans for what to do and see. Some suggestions would help.

We have the nights all planned out for Tokyo and Osaka, a stay at a traditional hotel in Mount Fuji but that's about it really. We haven't quite planned out what to do during the day yet.

Things we hope to see in Tokyo: some culture, places which are traditional, maybe a geisha show, trying out some interesting (but not icky) food only found in Japan, good shopping for clothes and cute souvenirs, maybe throw a kimono in there somewhere, some weird and wonderful places or things to try out.

I read that the fish market is worth the trip but the real activity is in the early morning and I don't think I can be up that early as it is usually my bedtime. So is it worth it and what exactly do you see there once all the activity is done?

The other thing is, I am quite stumped for places to go in Osaka. We have 2 days there but so far from what I've read nothing in Osaka really stands out for me. What does Osaka offer that is different from the rest of the country? It seems like just a business city and what is listed as attractions are rather generic so I am wondering if we should go there at all in the first place.

by Jenne (guest)  

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/18 18:18
Hi there, I am happy to make some suggestions but from your question I am unsure how many days you are having in each of Osaka/Tokyo. Also will you have a JR Pass?

If you can answer that It will be easier to help :)
by Main777 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/18 19:49
Don't underrate Osaka, just the vibe of the city and the people compared to Tokyo and other cities in Japan is enough reason for me to go.

Things during the day you can't do in Tokyo? Well, the aquarium is pretty impressive. Osaka castle is a good reconstruction and checking it out is worth it, shopping is generally more relaxing than in Tokyo too as you have more or less the same things on offer on less space; or do as I've recently done and go to Kyoto and/or Nara during the day and come back to Osaka in the evening and stroll Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori and Shinsekai areas :)
Also, Osaka is a really good place to try out some local specialities; Don't forget to try Takoyaki, Okonomiyaki and Kushikatsu (this last specially in Shinsekai).

As for Tokyo, the amount of things you can do is close to infinite, although I reckon Japan Guide sometimes doesn't help much. Is not the best city in Japan for traditional stuff (Kyoto is much better if you want to see a Geisha show or go to a temple, I would just reallocate the number of days in Tokyo and Osaka and do a couple of day trips to Kyoto from Osaka, it's just 30 minutes away by train). Tourist favorite districts in Tokyo include Asakusa, Akihabara, Shinjuku and Shibuya. Throw in Ueno and Odaiba and you'll be busy. As for food... well... you can try from all over the country in Tokyo. It'd be better to be more specific about what you want. About Tsukiji... well, after being to other morning markets, I don't thing is worth THAT much (I found Shiogama more suited to tourists and a good place to go), but go if you like Sushi and want to eat some of the freshest you'll ever eat. If that's not your thing, you can skip that and the tuna auctions.

by Aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/18 20:06
Like all tourists, go to Sensoji and Meiji for the cultural aspect. Don't know what type of clothes you like, but Shibuya has clothes for younger girls. Harajuku has more subculture-type clothes.

LaForet in Harajuku sells various brands and styles.

There is also Lumine, Studio Alta, Marui in Shinjuku.

Don't know what you mean with 'maybe throw a kimono in there somewhere'. You wanna wear one aka/or dress up as geisha? You wanna buy one (it's super expensive!)? Or do you want a yukata, which is far more affordable?

Maybe try out a Maid Cafe or Butler Cafe (not the one of Shibuya though). Fun!

Geisha shows in Tokyo, some googling showed me it costs from 20000 yen?

What is icky to you, little fish swallowed live? Or just octopus?

I definitely would spend some time in Kyoto, at least a day, if not two (Kiyomizu-dera, Fushimi Inari, Niji castle) and Nara.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/19 09:11
since I am doing all the travel arrangements, it seems we won't be using a JR pass on our trip. We are in Tokyo most of the time and staying at Ginza so we are likely to use the subway as the main means to move around.

I've taken some notes on the places to see, including the Meiji and Sensoji temples. Are there any guided tours of these places or we are all expected to wander around ourselves? I am not so sure if I am looking at something, I know what exactly I am looking at. So if there is some helpful guide or audio guide, it would help make us understand the culture more.

For fashion, I am looking for cutting-edge new designs and ideas (it is part of my job and interest), boutique stores which can be hole in the wall type of places where you can find new fashion. Is this at Shibuya or Harajuku? Someone mention sub-culture, could you please elaborate on what sub-cultures or groups of people are into this? And is a kimono and yukata the same thing but one is of lower quality and less elaborate? The cost is not the problem.

I'm game to try any food but my partner is squeamish about certain things. She only eats fish but doesn't like parts of their guts or roe, not quite into shellfish either. Any recommendations besides sushi that has none of the above things she is squeamish about?

Our trip to Mt Fuji is through a bus tour and we will be dropped off at the hotel for our night stay.

Then we will take the bullet train to Osaka and fly off from Osaka. I believe we are staying quite near the river somewhere in the vicinity of the castle mentioned earlier. We definitely will go there.

Does Osaka have interesting clothes and fashion stores as well and where can we find them?

Is a day visit to Kyoto sufficient. I am told by a colleague that it is a must-see city because it is so beautiful. I am inclined to arrange a tour from Osaka if that is the case.

Thanks!
by welles (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/19 12:35
I have many recommendation....
My recommendation are
From Tokyo,
Akihabara,and more places like a Asakusa etc.
http://akiba.or.jp/english/index.html
http://japanpockettravelguide.weebly.com/

From Osaka,
SHINSEKAI/TSUTENKAKU,Dotonbori
http://www.dotonbori.or.jp/
http://shinsekai.net/
http://www.tsutenkaku.co.jp/

I believe that you can find good place around Tokyo/Osaka.
Let's reconsider your plan!
by tahsah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/19 14:00
You do realize that sushi can have roe and shellfish... if you want.

Anyways, udon/soba with whatever topping she wants. Veggie tempura.

Some set meals with grilled fish (yakizana), or fish simmered in miso sauce with rice, pickles and miso soup.

Here some info about kimono and yukata:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Kimono_buying_guide

Harajuku then. Goths, punks, and streetfashion like lolita, decora maybe, mori-kei or fairy-kei.

I think Daikanyama and Shimokitazawa have lots of boutiques?
by Asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/19 16:24
For shopping, Osaka has Shinsaibashi or rather Amerikamura.

Lots of little fashion stores, with some amazing finds.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/19 16:45
For me,
I will stay in Shin osaka for a few days to make day trip to Okayama for the sake brewery tour, Nara for the deer, Kyoto, Saga Arashiyama, not forgetting shopping in Osaka.

For tokyo,
I will make day trip to Daibutsu in Kamakura, spend some time in Yokohama to visit the Noodle Museum, Yokohama Chinatown & Landmark Plaza.
Kawaguchiko: Kachi kachi ropeway, etc

Just to name a few.
by Jasmin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/20 00:00
Shibuya is a good place to catch trends. There's hundreds of little shops, your best bet are on the higher floors of many of the buildings in Shibuya.

About Shimokitazawa, it mostly offers used and vintage clothing. Not really worth the trip if you are for such a short amount of time (although is just 5 minutes away from Shibuya on a Keio Rapid train).
by Aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo and Osaka- what to do? 2014/9/20 08:54
Oh this is awesome. We've written down lots of notes of what we can do in Tokyo and Osaka. On hindsight, I am sticking to the travel plans we made earlier and spend 2 whole days in Osaka.

So many things to do and see and so much food to try. I don't eat meat generally but will give is a go in Japan. Unfortunately my gf will stick to her pescatarian diet so we will need to ask what's in it before ordering.

One question: do 2nd hand kimono stores offer good bargains? why do people go there- are the kimonos of good quality and design?

We love that there are many possible places to go to check out clothes and trends and we can spend hours browsing. Really hours. It is a pity we can't see everything in Japan, we have a hard time deciding where to go since there's so much to choose from but this only means we need to come again soon and bring bags of cash.

Cheerio
by Welles (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread