Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 month visas for fiance ? 2014/9/18 11:32
I am going to Japan on a work visa starting in January and I will be working in Japan for 8 months. During the first 6 weeks of our my stay I plan on attending a language school in Tokyo. From there I will be moving to Nara to work with a Japanese company.

During this time, my fiance would like to come with me. I know that he can get a temporary visa for the first 3 months. He is currently applying to the same 6 week language school as I. He is a Computer Scientist with a bachelors degree and 5 years work experience. He is planning on working remotely at an american company from Japan and he would like to live me. Would there be a visa that he could receive that would allow him to stay during this time ? He makes over $60,000 a year and has more than $100,000 in savings now. We have looked into Cultural Activities visas and Highly Skilled Foreign Professional visas, however we are unsure if he would be able to qualify for them.

Any ideas on what can be done ?
by Amber (guest)  

Re: 8 month visas for fiance ? 2014/9/18 21:38
Unfortunately there is no fiance visa for Japan. If you were married already, he would be eligible for "dependent" status so that he can stay in Japan with you.

If he finds a job with a local company in Japan and gets hired, work full-time, then he will be eligible for a work visa (provided the employer is willing to sponsor for his visa). However, if you are planning to return to your country after 8 months, it is unlikely that an employer is willing to hire and sponsor him for a visa only for that duration.

There is no visa that would allow him to simply live in Japan but with overseas income (working remotely). There was no "remote working" when the immigration laws went into effect.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread